Stealth Transmission à la carte

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

DPowell

Re: Stealth Transmission à la carte

Post by DPowell »

Putting the part in a chuck on a rotary table and then using a good carbide end mill might be worth trying.

Doug

Timmahhh
Approved Member

Post by Timmahhh »

jwscab wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:09 am a printed stealth case that fits the metric bearing and gear diff/ball diff of the newer cars would be cool.

Thats a good idea! That would definitely make sure runners had steel outdrives readily accessible for years to come.

It seems like 3d printed trans cases (especially those that aren't really structural like the stealth) turn out pretty good 3d printed. I'm not sure if shifting the idler gear to fit a slightly bigger diff gear would be an issue with any trans mounting screws, or if having to raise the diff would make any additional issues for the guys running the kind of short CVA's

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

for sure there will be tradeoffs. one thing for sure is that the larger gear, if you don't notch the chassis, will ride higher. That will cause some headaches, but nothing insurmountable. at some point, you have to make a line of where the car stops being vintage, and starts being modern.

rctenracer
Approved Member

Post by rctenracer »

I have used Custom Works outdrives in the past for the stealth trans . You had to Dremel a very small amount out of the ID on the AE diff rings to fit the CW outdrives if my memory is correct .

http://www.customworksrc.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?add=action&key=4364

rctenracer
Approved Member

Post by rctenracer »

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

jwscab wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:59 pm for sure there will be tradeoffs. one thing for sure is that the larger gear, if you don't notch the chassis, will ride higher. That will cause some headaches, but nothing insurmountable. at some point, you have to make a line of where the car stops being vintage, and starts being modern.
I agree. The more I think about a special tranny case, the less practical it seems; shifting the idler fore or aft in order to retain the input shaft location, moding the chassis to drop the larger diff gear or maybe special raised hub carriers to match the higher out-drive height, what's next... it just cascades. If AE won't support their product, then eventually market forces will drive entrepreneurs and small manufacturers to develop practical solutions. Glass half full.
Doug

mk-Zero
Business Member

Post by mk-Zero »

One of these days I'll get back to my printed stainless steel outdrive project. I've been running that pair on my B1M for just over a year now and, although there's some wear, they are holding up great with zero failures. I need to make some dimensional adjustments so they need less post-processing/machining and have another set printed.
https://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=42028&hilit=outdrive

Chemical

Post by Chemical »

Good info!