RC10 Gold pan jconcepts wheels dont fit

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

68lemans462

RC10 Gold pan jconcepts wheels dont fit

Post by 68lemans462 »

Per a suggestion on this forum I purchased some Jconcepts mono 2.2 rear wheels (JCO3404W), and some Jconcepts JCO3403W rear wheels. Both are pictured. Neither fit out of the box. I realized that I need the 3/16x3/8 bearing for the front, my original bearings are the tapered type and too small. I think the bearings should do the trick on the fronts...

The rear JConcepts wheels appear to have a slightly larger hole for the shaft and do not fit properly on the inside. I might be able to get them to fit if I drill out the center (see pictures). Which rear wheel can I use, or can I make these work?? Please see the amazon photos link for photos: https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared/dRlwaobBR8mcdOPLzeZCKg.ttvFOD0M63DTs8aWPdi4_K

Both shaft sizes are 3/16.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!!

jwscab

Re: RC10 Gold pan jconcepts wheels dont fit

Post by jwscab »

I can't see the pictures but it sounds to me that you actually have 1/4" axles on your rc10. The mono wheels are really for b2/b3 and rerelease worlds with 3/16" axles. The 1/4" axles have an 8-32 thread which is slightly less than 3/16", and where the pin is, it tapers up to 1/4" for the bearing. The pin is also a larger pin than for a 3/16" axle.

You have some options but it depends if you have cvds, universals or bones/cups.

JosephS

Post by JosephS »

68lemans462 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:44 pm Per a suggestion on this forum I purchased some Jconcepts mono 2.2 rear wheels (JCO3404W), and some Jconcepts JCO3403W rear wheels. Both are pictured. Neither fit out of the box. I realized that I need the 3/16x3/8 bearing for the front, my original bearings are the tapered type and too small. I think the bearings should do the trick on the fronts...

The rear JConcepts wheels appear to have a slightly larger hole for the shaft and do not fit properly on the inside. I might be able to get them to fit if I drill out the center (see pictures). Which rear wheel can I use, or can I make these work?? Please see the amazon photos link for photos: https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared/dRlwaobBR8mcdOPLzeZCKg.ttvFOD0M63DTs8aWPdi4_K

If you pictures are from your car you have the wrong wheels.
'gold pan' covers an long span of time for rc10's and you have one of the older ones.
This would have 1/4" axles on the rear.
the proper wheel for that is
https://www.jcracingproducts.co.uk/rc10

The fronts would be fine if you change up the bearings as you noted.

As well you can convert the rear to be the 3/16" axles used on the 'newer' rc10's. That would allow you to use the wheels you have, but It's so much simpler to just get the jcracing wheels.

If you are really in a bind you can sort of carefully drill out the wheels you have with a drill bit until they fit, but it's easy to make them off balance or simply take off too much material.

The wheels you have fit the last produced rc10b3, b4 and worlds re-release. Associated also made kits that allow for mounting those wheels.

the 1/4" axles had 3 sizes of wheel and tire that went along.

original 1.7" https://jconcepts.net/hazard-17-rc10-rear-wheel
2.0/2.1" from the team car and the rc10 CE (championship Edition)
2.175/2.2" for the original worlds car
rc10b2 sport and b3 basic and sport also came with 1/4" axles as your car has.

68lemans462

Post by 68lemans462 »

JosephS wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:29 pm
68lemans462 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:44 pm Per a suggestion on this forum I purchased some Jconcepts mono 2.2 rear wheels (JCO3404W), and some Jconcepts JCO3403W rear wheels. Both are pictured. Neither fit out of the box. I realized that I need the 3/16x3/8 bearing for the front, my original bearings are the tapered type and too small. I think the bearings should do the trick on the fronts...

If you pictures are from your car you have the wrong wheels.
'gold pan' covers an long span of time for rc10's and you have one of the older ones.
This would have 1/4" axles on the rear.
the proper wheel for that is
https://www.jcracingproducts.co.uk/rc10

The fronts would be fine if you change up the bearings as you noted.

As well you can convert the rear to be the 3/16" axles used on the 'newer' rc10's. That would allow you to use the wheels you have, but It's so much simpler to just get the jcracing wheels.

If you are really in a bind you can sort of carefully drill out the wheels you have with a drill bit until they fit, but it's easy to make them off balance or simply take off too much material.

The wheels you have fit the last produced rc10b3, b4 and worlds re-release. Associated also made kits that allow for mounting those wheels.

the 1/4" axles had 3 sizes of wheel and tire that went along.

original 1.7" https://jconcepts.net/hazard-17-rc10-rear-wheel
2.0/2.1" from the team car
2.175/2.2" for the original worlds car
rc10b2 sport and b3 basic and sport also came with 1/4" axles as your car has.
This is just what I needed. Thanks!

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

Jcon should really be a lot more clear about this. They say it fits RC10 however while the offset is correct there was only one RC10 (not b2 etc) that ever came with 3/16 axles- the rerelease worlds car. Every other RC10 was 1/4”. I bet they get some phone calls for this.
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

BTW, I looked back at the OP's older thread. JC Racing wheels were suggested there as well.

The other options suggested were the JConcepts Hazzards and using B2 fronts with Traxxas rears (hex).
Always looking for new and interesting ways to waste money.

Chewbacca
Approved Member

Post by Chewbacca »

juicedcoupe wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 3:29 pm BTW, I looked back at the OP's older thread. JC Racing wheels were suggested there as well.

The other options suggested were the JConcepts Hazzards and using B2 fronts with Traxxas rears (hex).
To be fair, if you're not familliar with both shops, it is easy to get confused with JConcepts and JC Racing.
*** POWDER - KING ***

jcwrks
Approved Member

Post by jcwrks »

If your gold pan is a runner then consider swapping out the rear axles for 3/16" cvd's.
The official TX SKUNK

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

I agree, a set of Custom Works 7210 CVDs makes a nice upgrade and they are very affordable. Smooth, less slop than dogbones, readily available, and made by MiP. Just needs 2 pair of FR166ZZ bearings for the axles. Lots to like about CVDs.
Frankensteined RC10T3 / Franky Jr RC10GT-e (x2) / A+ stamp / Toy Story RC / Graphite replica / B1.5 BFG 5LTi / Clonewald / Hyper Hornet

"I love the effort, but it sure looks like you took the long way around to a tub again"

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

Chewbacca wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:06 am
juicedcoupe wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 3:29 pm BTW, I looked back at the OP's older thread. JC Racing wheels were suggested there as well.

To be fair, if you're not familliar with both shops, it is easy to get confused with JConcepts and JC Racing.
Perhaps. I thought I was clear in the original thread but I can see someone getting mixed up.
Always looking for new and interesting ways to waste money.

RichieRich
Approved Member

Post by RichieRich »

What I've done instead of buying a whole set of 3/16 CVDs is just swap out the 1/4 axle with a 3/16 and reuse the rest of the 1/4 cvd parts.