Drilling holes for stealth trans

General info, Q&A.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

mcinque103
Approved Member

Drilling holes for stealth trans

Post by mcinque103 »

before i go and drill holes, does this look like the right way to line everything up. apparently this graphite chassis is set up to be mid engine, but didn't have the holes for the stealth trans. the way they're bolted together, all of the holes in the back line up perfectly so i guess i can just go through the holes in the worlds car chassis and into the graphite one to mount the stealth trans.

mcinque103
Approved Member

Re: Drilling holes for stealth trans

Post by mcinque103 »

also, and this is wierd, the turbo mirage cover that i have doesn't seem to fit on this chassis, the front of the chassis, where it starts to taper in, is a little too wide.

Chewbacca
Approved Member

Post by Chewbacca »

if you are sure about the mid motor setup that would be te correct way to use the worlds chassis as a template.

If you want to use a rear motor setup you'd have to have the noses on top of each other.
*** POWDER - KING ***

mcinque103
Approved Member

Post by mcinque103 »

could i even make it a rear engine chassis? there's a close up pic in this post, http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5308 , of the holes in the rear of the car. they're not in the same place as the worlds chassis if i put them nose to nose.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

** scr8p lights purist pipe **

PLEASE, don't change that chassis around to a rear motor setup. if it's not really the chassis you want, sell it, and find another one. i already know of 2 people that wanted it because of the way it's configured.

do what you want with it, i'm mearly stating my opinion. but some things, in my eyes, should not be altered. and that chassis is one of them.

just my $.02, though.....................

mcinque103
Approved Member

Post by mcinque103 »

i have no plans to make it a rear engine car. i just wanted to make sure i drilled the holes in the right spot for the stealth trans. do you have any idea what i can use for a cover seeing sa how the one i have doesn't fit and i'd never cut the back off of a turbo mirage cover. are the protech or viper body's any wider in the front? i was also wondering if a body from a different car would work like a xxx-4, bj4, b44 or lazer zx-5 they're all mid engine so the back half of the body might fit w/o having to cut it off.

also, you say dont alter the chassis. do u think it's a bad idea even to drill for the stealth trans to keep it mid engine w/ the parts that i already have?

sal jc

Post by sal jc »

didn't kno u where doing mid-engine, then that's it. mine sticks out a little too under the t/m cover but not that noticeable.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

mcinque103 wrote:also, you say dont alter the chassis. do u think it's a bad idea even to drill for the stealth trans to keep it mid engine w/ the parts that i already have?
if it were mine, i wouldn't drill it at all. but that's just me. but, i'm guessing you don't have a 6 gear or mip trans, so you don't have much of a choice.

just out of curiosity, why wouldn't you want to keep your worlds car all together?

mcinque103
Approved Member

Post by mcinque103 »

the main reason for getting this chassis is b/c ever since i got worlds car, like 12 yrs ago or however long its been, i've always wanted a graphite rc10. that's it. i thought about keeping the worlds car the way it is and just building the graphite chassis up from scratch, but i really don't need another car and would never get rid of the worlds car. i acutally still drive this car, and i figured i could always just put everything back on the worlds chassis if i ever wanted or need to.

sal jc

Post by sal jc »

prob cause the aluminum chassis is good for nothing, unlike the rest of the car that is almost indestructible, if you look at that chassis wrong the front bends. I got my graphite chassis used by at least 2 other ppl who beat the crap out of it in 1995 and have been using it since in the same manner and it's still same as new.

sal jc

Post by sal jc »

mcinque103 wrote:the main reason for getting this chassis is b/c ever since i got worlds car, like 12 yrs ago or however long its been, i've always wanted a graphite rc10. that's it. i thought about keeping the worlds car the way it is and just building the graphite chassis up from scratch, but i really don't need another car and would never get rid of the worlds car. i acutally still drive this car, and i figured i could always just put everything back on the worlds chassis if i ever wanted or need to.
WTF... aren't u at work?

mcinque103
Approved Member

Post by mcinque103 »

yeah, its REALLY SLOOOOOOOOOOW tonight.

and you didn't adjust the time zone setting when you got the account on here, unless the farmingdale you're in is in western europe instead of new york.

sal jc

Post by sal jc »

done.. do you have the PS3 there?

wyldbill
Approved Member

Post by wyldbill »

could i even make it a rear engine chassis?
not very easily, if you did the bulkhead holes would wind up being centered between the 4 holes for the 6 gear mount and there is not enough "meat" there for a 8-32 screw hole. if you flip that worlds chassis around and line it up right you will see what i mean. i have a rayborn chassis that was given to me buy a fellow oval racer that tried a mid conversion on it and its not pretty. what he ended up doing was he drilled it for a b-3 terminator bulkhead since it uses 4-40 screws and that worked better. mabey i should drive it to scr8p's house, since he's the resident graphite doctor, and he can fix it up for me.

THUNDERSTRIKE1
Approved Member

Post by THUNDERSTRIKE1 »

Just buy a MIP tranny and put in it,theres no altering it then.DON