Raced My LWB Optima Mid today

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

alcyon
Approved Member

Re: Raced My LWB Optima Mid today

Post by alcyon »

Welshy40 wrote:Mate, one day I am going to have to bring my Lazer over and show you some real speed :lol: but congrats, never thought you'd go so far a couple of years back but with a little perseverance and great design skills look at you now.

Oh yes talking of 2wd, this is in my cupboard and is a sweeter ride, never the less the repro kinwald is worth buying as it has a B4 slipper so vts will work.
Welshy40
I think the speeds here are plenty fast. The traction or the lack of it is not something that you are used to, and coming here with a 4.5T with guns blazing isn't the best approach. The track is also very bumpy, with hard packed dirt, but with stones trying to pop out from under the ground. The TQ guy, David Lim, is an excellent driver and a multiple champion in the 1/8 GP circuit, Shem & David both ran a 6.5T for this race, and David was 25s faster than my Mid with a 10.5T. Not that I am doubting your abilities, but if you can beat David Lim, every one will be in Awe ..he is that good. But I heard that you have the ability to drive a very twitchy oversteering car, which if I read you right, is the way you set up your car, so you might just be king on this track.
I am looking forward to the day that you can come over here, and perhaps with a few more members, once I get my ZX sorted then we could really have some fun !

HKS_TRD,
I will post some close ups soon, been really busy these last few days.

These are the finals results
http://www.mylaps.com/en/classification/3373194
http://www.mylaps.com/en/classification/3373195
http://www.mylaps.com/en/classification/3373196

Welshy40
Approved Member

Post by Welshy40 »

6.5 is pretty quick on that but was joking mate, never would i contemplate a 4.5 but would be more towards a 7.5 and yes like a lot of steering with a loose rear end so seems to be a good place for that. Still think youd possibly beat him with a slightly quicker motor.
Designer of the Lazer ZX / ZXR Tub Chassis (now available again from Fibre-Lyte)

Sponser links below
http://www.fibre-lyte.co.uk/
http://www.kamtec.co.uk/

alcyon
Approved Member

Post by alcyon »

Thanks welshy40, indeed in 2011 to mid 2014 I was still struggling with my cars and learning setups, things only started to fall together in late 2014, indeed, having lots of caster is very important for stability and ease of driving on such low grip surfaces.
I learnt that the hard way.

HKS TRD,
this is how the new VTS is on the optima mid.

HKS_TRD
Approved Member

Post by HKS_TRD »

Thanks for posting that pic
So does the new layshaft do away with the yellow plastic spacer that usually sits behind the spur gear?

Why can't you use a heatsink motor plate? Looking at your pic there seems to be enough clearance for the fins of the heatsink motor plate I have on my Mid

alcyon
Approved Member

Post by alcyon »

HKS_TRD wrote:Thanks for posting that pic
So does the new layshaft do away with the yellow plastic spacer that usually sits behind the spur gear?

Why can't you use a heatsink motor plate? Looking at your pic there seems to be enough clearance for the fins of the heatsink motor plate I have on my Mid
Yes, you don't need that yellow spacer, but you need some brass shims about 0.3mm thick which I got from my LHS, this is to make sure the inner slipper plate sits flat against the shaft end, as there is a small radius on the edge, which is a machining limitation.
The reason a finned motor plate cant be used isn't because of the thickness causing it to rub against anything, as it wont, but the finned plate cannot fit into the gear cover properly, which forces you to tighten the gear cover further inwards causing it to rub on the VTS.
With a thin plate, you can put a nut on the screws holding the gear cover, which is to space the gear cover a little outwards, even then, you cannot tighten down the 2 screws fully as it will rub the VTS.
You have to find the sweet spot where the gear cover is as close as possible, with no rubbing or minimal rubbing.

HKS_TRD
Approved Member

Post by HKS_TRD »

OK that makes sense
Do you still need the plastic tube attached to the gear cover with the VTS setup or does the adjustment nut fit inside the gear cover like it does on the Lazer

alcyon
Approved Member

Post by alcyon »

HKS_TRD wrote:OK that makes sense
Do you still need the plastic tube attached to the gear cover with the VTS setup or does the adjustment nut fit inside the gear cover like it does on the Lazer
you always need that plastic tube no matter Lazer or Optima Mid.

HKS_TRD
Approved Member

Post by HKS_TRD »

I was under the impression James didn't use a plastic tube on his Lazer

alcyon
Approved Member

Post by alcyon »

HKS_TRD wrote:I was under the impression James didn't use a plastic tube on his Lazer
You certainly can do that..if you are running on a sandless environment like carpet or hard packed clay.

CHKTM
Approved Member

Post by CHKTM »

I have not bought any 2wd buggies yet. I did see a guy on youtube who drove a scorpion really well and i am tempted to get one. But a buddy of mine who is also into vintage buggies..let me drive his 93 worlds rc10 re re..and i was totally blown away by how it handles..it was so easy to drive and i immediately got the hang of it .in fact i drove it better than him, and even lapped some 4wds in practice..i didnt want to hand him back the rc10...i think the 93 worlds car is what i wanna get to race in 2wd. I am pretty confident i can nail the top 3 with it. The guy who owns that rc10 drove it to a 4th place victory..i think i probably can go up to 2nd..[/quote]

Ah, from your comment on my video on YouTube I thought you had a Scorpion. Have fun with your RC10 when you get it.

alcyon
Approved Member

Post by alcyon »

CHKTM wrote:I have not bought any 2wd buggies yet. I did see a guy on youtube who drove a scorpion really well and i am tempted to get one. But a buddy of mine who is also into vintage buggies..let me drive his 93 worlds rc10 re re..and i was totally blown away by how it handles..it was so easy to drive and i immediately got the hang of it .in fact i drove it better than him, and even lapped some 4wds in practice..i didnt want to hand him back the rc10...i think the 93 worlds car is what i wanna get to race in 2wd. I am pretty confident i can nail the top 3 with it. The guy who owns that rc10 drove it to a 4th place victory..i think i probably can go up to 2nd..
Ah, from your comment on my video on YouTube I thought you had a Scorpion. Have fun with your RC10 when you get it.[/quote]

ohh..so thats you on youtube. Your cars look amazing and you have great driving skills. I am just worried about damaging the scorpion on sbs..which is a much more difficult track than the one in your video..besides the XXXXXX traction too and availability if compatible rims and tyres..might still get one though.

CHKTM
Approved Member

Post by CHKTM »

ohh..so thats you on youtube. Your cars look amazing and you have great driving skills. I am just worried about damaging the scorpion on sbs..which is a much more difficult track than the one in your video..besides the XXXXXX traction too and availability if compatible rims and tyres..might still get one though.[/quote]

Thanks, I've watched your vids and you drive great, I like your local track. I think you'd probably be better off with the RC10 although the Scorpion has the better looks I think the RC10 would be better on bigger jumps and have more tyre options.