stampede suggestions?

The place for all things Traxxas.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

andymac0035
Approved Member

stampede suggestions?

Post by andymac0035 »

This is actually my wife's stampede, but I seem to be the one that runs it the most.... :roll: :lol:

There is a local track that just re-openned nearby, and this is the only M/T in the stable that I'll be able to run. My other trucks are all too big or too slow.

It's basically a stock XL-5 pede' with monster jam tires, and a VXL system stuffed into it. The VXL is kinda' making it un-drivable though....wheelies...wheelies...and more wheelies... so I'm planning to pull that out and put a mamba max and CM36 (5700kv) motor in it. The velineon motor is a lot heavier, and this thing is too tail heavy as it is.

SFC K
Approved Member

Re: stampede suggestions?

Post by SFC K »

Andy, I think even with the Mamba your going to have a difficulty driving it. That truck is more a basher than racer, so you might fint it hard to compete with it.

Welcome to RC10talk too BTW! :wink: :mrgreen:
Jeff

andymac0035
Approved Member

Post by andymac0035 »

LOL.... I'm just back from a long hiatus. :mrgreen:

At least with the mamba I can tune it. The VXL just wants to put the truck on it's lid everytime you hit the trigger a little too hard.

Right now I'm experimenting with adding wieght to the nose.
I suppose I need to mess with shock oil wieght as well.

I have no delusions of this being competitive..... I just want to have some fun on the track. :wink:

chophead69
Approved Member

Post by chophead69 »

Hi andy.ok maybe i can help you out with this one since i have one my son and i did togather.the tires you have are for lookes depending on the track you might want to look at proline pin tires. Or their dirt tires. Stay away from traxxas talons unless you are just bashin. Also change to the big bore shocks they work much better.rpm arms all around.a 2075 steering servo.traxxas turn buckels a must.aluminum steering blocks.rpm hubs front to back.anza pin kit for the a arms and hubs plus their aluminum tie bar.the rpm trans case is mucb nicer plus it allows you to change your toe.2.4radio is the only way to go.rpm shock towers are much stiffer but you can get the anza set for a slash and they work great plus they are carbon fiber.you can but a lower center of gravity chassis as well.try rjnning a bigger then suggested pinnon gear befor you get another system. We have also used a little lead to weigh the front down at times it really helps.car wheel weights have stick tape on them and come in 1/4 ounce tabs.this setup works for us and you might still break stuff but very rarely oh the anza shock towers allow you to change your shock pos you cant do that with stock or rpm.if you can afford it proline shocks are awsome on a pede.
My pop always said i had to many iron's in the fire

chophead69
Approved Member

Post by chophead69 »

Forgot the one thing you really should do mip cvd's i swear by them.again this is what work for me.and you can use the proline slash suppension kit on a pede as well.check out their web site they show it but you got to look.the pede was the first rc for my son at 5 now its all raced up and he loves it.are you running 2 or 3 cell lipo? Plus a wheelie bar would help to keep ur roof from getting rubbed off :lol:

dldiaz

Post by dldiaz »

I have owned and tuned four different Stampedes - they are great bashers!

In my opinion, none of the aluminum, carbon, etc. mods are going to improve handling at all.
1) Heavier weight shock oil and non-progressive springs (Losi springs work good) on the stock Traxxas "Ultra" shocks is helpful.

EDIT: after looking back at your pictures - I think you already have non-progressive springs, so maybe just try the thicker shock oil.

2) Better tires also help:
- the Traxxas Rustler wheels are pretty good (2.8 inch rims with ribs up front and spikes in the rear), they still have a decent "monster truck" look.
- Slash 2wd short course wheels/tires work well, but don't have the oversized "monster truck" look you may want.

Nothing short of a whole different chassis stops the wheelying very well...
(wheelie bar is great for bashing, not so good for racing)
-dldiaz

andymac0035
Approved Member

Post by andymac0035 »

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, those are linear springs on there.
I also have a nitro-rustler front tower I could put on it to stiffen things up a bit.
(it has a crossbar support that the stock one doesn't have)

Those monster jam tires are actually pretty soft and grippy. I put them on there for S+G because I picked them up in trade....but left them on there after trying them out.

I had a wheelie bar on it, but took it off as it just added more wieght to the tail.

I do have tunbuckles I can add, just these weren't giving me problems, so I left them.
As for aluminum bits.....well....if I actually break something I'll consider it.
Maybe this trucks just lucky....but it's been beat on pretty hard.....and it's (chassis-wise) all original.

I drove it some with a ridiculous steel wieght strapped to the nose today. Once I got used to it.....it started handling a LOT better. I still have the VXL in it and I run it on 2S lipo. Was able to go full-trigger accross our lawn and (dirt) driveway no problem. The wieght was making the suspension actually "work" instead of bounce along.

So I've got 2 strips of 1/4 ounce wieghts.... I'm goung to stick them to the front bumper and see how that goes next.

I am not looking to spend any serious money on this. I might get a set of stock rustler wheels/tires, or something simular, but not much more than that. I mostly want to focus on setting it up right (adjustments) instead of just throwing aftermarket parts at it.

chophead69
Approved Member

Post by chophead69 »

The aftermarket parts come as things break and the wheelie bar does not add that much considering how you can put it at its lower setting and it helps some.the anza shock towers with adjustable points do help.but really its how far you want to go and spend.

andymac0035
Approved Member

Post by andymac0035 »

Well, at this point in time I just want to take the handling from "totally horrible" to "usable".
..... If that makes any sense.

Just want to see if I can have some fun with it at the track.

longboardnj
Approved Member

Post by longboardnj »

dont spend alot of cash , its a stampede its not a t4. i find the key to stampedes are the wheels and tires,run the 2.2 rims. i like running the wide offset fronts on the front and rear with the same tread so i can swap the rears to the front when they start to wear. a tire smaller then 4.5 inches tall seems the best to keep the truck on all 4 wheels i think these are good http://prolineracing.com/all-terrain/dirt-works-2.2-all-terrain-truck-tires/ or these if you want something a bit bigger http://prolineracing.com/all-terrain/dirt-hawg-ii-2.2-all-terrain-truck-tires/. if you just want to setup a stampede for the track use spike race tires front and rear. next id lower the truck. make sure shocks are on the outer mount on the arm . then add limiters to the inside of the shocks. you want the shocks down travel to max out when the arms are straight out. also mounting the battery under the chassis helps too. all this stuff lowers center of gravity making it less likely to wheely.

K-TOWN-KITT
Approved Member

Post by K-TOWN-KITT »

Just turn it into a Rustler. Just put a rusty chassis on it and change the wheels so they don't rub. That would be the cheapest way to go.

andymac0035
Approved Member

Post by andymac0035 »

Thank for all the suggestions.

Little update,

The truck's had so many hard tumbles that most of the stick-on lead came loose.
I have since made some new nose weights and bolted them in place, so now the nose seems well-planted. I can go full-trigger across the lawn and usually the nose stays down. Holding it by its center it feels well-balanced, with a slight bias to the rear.

The body is just about shot, but I have a new body for it, just need to trim and paint it.

I thought about a rustler conversion, but this truck still needs to go across grass, so I don't want to LCG-it.....although I did think about putting the battery under it for the track.

The mamba maxx/5700 runs really hot, even geared way down, so that has to come out. That leaves me with either putting the VXL back into it, or I have a novac havoc 13.5t system I could use. I was going to put that in my crawler though, since it's sensored.... but I dunno'.....

I think that main thing is I need to put better tires on it. I like the 2.2 idea, and also.... to expand on that.....
What about putting slash 2WD rear arms on this????? That would let me run front-offset all around and keep a similar track width AND give me some rear tow-in.

Sound like a good idea????

andymac0035
Approved Member

Post by andymac0035 »

I now have another motor option. I'll be putting this mamba max into something else, and that something else has my mamba max pro in it, and I have a 4-pole 5700 motor with that. The 4-pole motor will push this truck no problem.

So motor choices are now:

MMP/5700 (4-pole)
VXL 3500kv
novac 13.5t

And I have lots of pinions and spurs to play with.

knixdad
Approved Member

Post by knixdad »

I would do the Jang Wide Mod on it, swapping to the other arms will narrow the track. Instead bring the front out wider and you'll have a slightly better handling truck.

I think then you can use the rear hubs to toe it in a little.
I miss brushed motors in that hazy, everything seemed better when I was a kid, kind of way.

MrBreeze

Post by MrBreeze »

No need to over think a Stampede. Puit an XL-5 and a
Reedy Radon 17T in it and enjoy it for what it is.
"They call me the Breeze,.....I keep rollin' down the road."
Early six gear CE, black & white Stealth CE, RC10 classic, SC10 kit version.