Getting my old RC10 running again with your help

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

trek
Approved Member

Getting my old RC10 running again with your help

Post by trek »

Hello,

New to the forum and last weekend I purchased a battery for my Goldpan RC10 I bought around 1987 or so. It ran like a champ till we bumped into something and broke the steering block. (Parts on order....ebay...) While not super clean it is a great runner. My buddy and I were into making these run as good as we could back in the day. I've been pouring through this forum trying to figure out all of the upgrades I did to my car and in the process found out this is a Cadillac. Most of the upgrades are the hidden type. Full bearings throughout the car, Dirt Burners 48p gear set, 48p pinion and spur, litesink heatsink, RPM dust cover, RCPS Titanium suspension hinge pins, titanium? turnbuckles, aluminum steering rack (mfr unknown), Miracle Speedways Double ball bearing diff tube support kit with shims, and I'm sure there are more that I don't remember. Figuring this out got me pretty excited about my old RC10 that I am planning to build another vintage modified RC10 for my girls to learn to drive (nothing too fancy). I found some documents for the Speedways diff tube installation instructions, and the RCPS hinge pins, along with some other things. I'm planning to clean it up a bit this winter and getting it looking a bit better, and may even try the boiling trick to make the nylon less brittle. Looking forward to sharing any knowledge I have and can remember.
Attachments
2012-10-02_22-24-00_442.jpg
2012-10-02_22-14-36_982.jpg
2012-10-02_22-14-01_382.jpg
2012-10-02_22-12-31_392.jpg
2012-10-02_22-12-20_550.jpg
2012-10-02_22-11-58_922.jpg

GoMachV

Re: Getting my old RC10 running again with your help

Post by GoMachV »

The steering is Losi
The gear cover is probably worth a small fortune to some ebayers :mrgreen:
The speedworks onyx was one of my favorites for bashing bitd 8)
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

Chris00gt
Approved Member

Post by Chris00gt »

You've got a good solid rc-10!! Wow, looks like a rare rpm gear cover for a stealth with a losi hydro-drive.
NEW: SC10 4x4 FT, SC10 FT, (2)T4.1 FT, B4.1 World
OLD RC10's: (4)Worlds, Graphite Team Car, (2)RPM Ultra's, Tekin, B2 Team Car, B3, (3)Champ Editions, Team Car, (2)RC10T Team Truck
Tamiya: Hornet, Fox
Bolink: Invader
Losi: (2)XX, Junior 2, JRX Pro SE

stingerrray
Approved Member

Post by stingerrray »

I saw an RPM gear cover like yours sell for $100 on the bay. Wow I guess it really must be sought after but what an atrocity that thing is. Car looks nice though. The last running car I had was a Losi XXT. Looking forward to a nice backyard basher. The lot behind my house is about an acre of smooth weed grass mixture cut low. It should be a good place to play.

Stingerrray

RC104ever
Approved Member

Post by RC104ever »

Welcome! Be careful once you get started here - your wallet may never forgive you :lol:

I did the same - built up a car for my son and its stock other than the wheels / tires and electronics. It really flies with a brushless and lipos, and the run time is insane compared to the older stuff.
- Chris
Lots of cars...so many cars

trek
Approved Member

Post by trek »

Thanks for the info everyone! Funny thing about the cover is I don't remember any specific reason for buying that particular cover other than it had the cap on it.

AndrewSi
Approved Member

Post by AndrewSi »

The turnbuckles are tecnacraft's and it looks like you have rear CVDs in the back. Nice runner!

trek
Approved Member

Post by trek »

So the nylon on my car must be brittle. I broke the wheel today, second part to break and I just got it back up and running. I think I broke 1 part way back when it was new. I am currently taking everything apart and I'm going to try the boiling trick. I don't think I have anything to lose, plus everything is going to get cleaned. I also ordered up some new bearings. I took apart the tranny this weekend as I thought it was making too much noise and found that many of the bearings are shot. I'm thinking I might as well rebuild the shocks as well, so I will need to look into rebuild kits.

SDmonza

Post by SDmonza »

How did it turn out? You have any pics of the broken wheel?
And do you remember who made those electrical connectors? I know you used to use different ones than I did.
I'm Trek's buddy to the rest of you.. :wink:

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

SDmonza wrote:And do you remember who made those electrical connectors?
They look like Duratrax.
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

sermos powerpole connectors. couple of different vendors had them available. They are still used in industry.

trek
Approved Member

Post by trek »

I don't recall what the power connectors were called when I purchased them, but I know I have seen them currently for sale. Here is a pic of the broken wheel.
2012-10-09_17-54-34_662.jpg
I have taken the car apart and boiled the nylon. The boiling was a bit crazy, (Funky pot and wacky stove) and it took a long time to actually get to a boil. The parts spent about 25 min in water from 180 up to boiling and then about 10 more min in 212 water. I will have to see how this all plays out after I get it all back together. The car is still in parts waiting for the shock rebuild kit and the new bearings. I will be trying the boiling trick again on another RC10 that should be showing up any day now. I will be using a different pot next time. This RC10 will be torn apart, put into bags and put in a box. It will be as close as I can come to a new "original" RC10 for my girls (7yr and 10yr) with out spending $800. It will be a christmas gift that we can all put together, with them doing the work. I think it should be fun!
2012-10-09_17-55-05_278.jpg

SFC K
Approved Member

Post by SFC K »

Looks great! Sounds like a fun project for you and your girls! More fun for you I bet! :wink:

Welcome to the site!
Jeff

trek
Approved Member

Post by trek »

So I went to MMR (In Minnesota) today to do a few practice laps and see how the brushed 6 gear really runs. First run was going pretty good until I noticed one of my front wheels wobbling pretty bad, yup broken. Luckly I had thrown in some JC Racing wheels in that were really meant to be a Christmas present (Just had this feeling something would break). I was able to purchase some tires, a guy there donanted some foam inserts (the shop was out) and I was back up in running after gluing up my first set of glue on tires. Wow what a diffence some tires make. Suddenly I had tons of traction. Was doing pretty good till suddenly no steering. Not really sure what caused the break, but both sides of my steering were gone, I had broken two ball links... Still not sure how that happened. Rummaged though my box and out some some original 25year old ball ends. Had a blast after that but had to cut my time short as I had other things I needed to do (life). Everyone seemed a bit bummed I wasn't staying for the racing. I know I'll be back to do some racing. I'm forming some plans for a what is old is new buggy, trying to use as much USA made parts that are still available... Should be fun. Oh just realized looking at the pictures I also have a new wing on the buggy since I haven't raced it in so long, not really sure if it helped or not.
The Carnage
2012-12-01_19-02-53_958.jpg
New JC Racing Wheels
2012-12-01_19-01-46_961.jpg

Russ Winn
Approved Member

Post by Russ Winn »

First of all, welcome to the site. I'm sure you'll find a lot of good info here. The ball cups are an easy fix. Associated still uses those that fit 4-40. Personally, I use Dubro screw-on type. They make them with 4-40 balls, as well as the rod end.

Did you get the JC rims directly from their site, ebay or locally? I've been trying to find them other than ordering from overseas.
The older I get, the faster I was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyGKBTUJ-L0