6 gear question

General info, Q&A.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

slim_chance
Approved Member

6 gear question

Post by slim_chance »

Ok I was at my LHS today and I was talking to the owner he got pretty excited when he heard that I had 2 vintage rc10's. I was asking if any one runs buggies there and it came out that I had a runner with my red aftermarket graphite and I said I might run it a time or two if enough guys showed up with buggies for a sportman class. Since I don't have correct electronics or motor and an aftermarket chassis. But my question is how far can I push a 6 gear if the internals are in good shape and not have it self destruct?
I wouldn't think I could get away with a brushless but I use to run either a 9t triple or a 10t double back in the late 90's in my real graphite as a street runner.
Or should I run it with the 20t I got in it if I decide to race it a little?

I know I probably shouldn't race it at all. I have only run it once conservitively the day I got it but that was also when I was wrongly thinking I had a tq10.

The original graphite's racing days are safely behind it though just to let you guys know.

Edit: also can a stealth go in the place of a 6 gear on this chassis it is make identical to the graphite
Super phenominal cosmic plans! itty bitty bank account.

Procrastinators unite!......tomorrow.
My new Fb page by bashers for bashers. Rc bashers unite! http://www.facebook.com/RcBashersUnite

JPAE07
Approved Member

Re: 6 gear question

Post by JPAE07 »

Six Gear & Brushless - Not a good combo. Unless you want to try and melt all the working parts into one piece.

Brushless has been used with the Stealth. You may need to drill the chassis though to adapt the Stealth if the holes aren't already present.

slim_chance
Approved Member

Post by slim_chance »

Pretty much what I thought about brushless myself. Any pics of the holes that it would need to have? If it doesn't have them I will leave it alone and keep a brushed motor in it. Still on the fence about even entering it in a single race. On one hand even aftermarket chassis it is still vintage and would take time to get new parts if they break and if the chassis breaks well not sure I could find another like it.

On the other hand what's the fun in owning it if I never do race it. After all isn't that what it was originaly built for.

Not asking what I should do I'm just babbling with my fingers.

My new Fb page by bashers for bashers. Rc bashers unite! http://www.facebook.com/RcBashersUnite

Zmd73

Post by Zmd73 »

I had similar questions and this forum helped me understand 6 vs Stealth. Attahced is a link for the template to make the holes.

http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=82&t=23763&hilit=stealth+drill+template

Good luck I have been hunting on ebay for a stealth to bring mine out to brushless. I noticed it is like a gold rush trying to get these cars

Here is my link of questions I asked the group and they were very helpful
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=24828

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

biggest issue with the 6 gear is that there is no easy way to put a slipper clutch on it. the only 'slipper' you have is the diff itself. the original idlers are not very strong, the newer black delrin ones are stronger. You could in theory take two old out-drives, grind the cups off, and build an all metal transmission that would be very strong, but again, no way to get around the clutch issue, so apply too much power, and you end up melting the spur gear. Now, if you could find a metal spur gear, then as long as you didn't care how rough the diff balls and rings got due to slipping, it would be pretty indestructible.

Zedmaster
Approved Member

Post by Zedmaster »

Zmd73 wrote:Good luck I have been hunting on ebay for a stealth to bring mine out to brushless. I noticed it is like a gold rush trying to get these cars
If you can't find a nice stealth on eBay, RPM still makes a gear box that converts a stealth to 2.65 ratio. Includes case, and a top shaft. I believe tower sells all the other fixin's for a stealth but the case. The outdrives and bearings'd cost ya like 20-30 bucks, but the gears and such are quite cheap. Guessing with the RPM case, it'd cost ya like 50 bucks. But that way you'd have a 2.65 ratio that'd be great for brushless, and all new bearings.

http://www.rpmrcproducts.com/products/assoc/trans.htm

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

Yeah, up to you what you think is more cost effective. Last couple weeks the Stealth trannys have been running $35-$40 shipped. Kinda where they usually run anyway. Some will be higher than others but if your not worried about how it looks your lookin 35-40ish. They are always there though so it all depends on what you expect to pay. Generally you can get a complete beat rc10t for 50-75 shipped with your stealth allready plus more truck parts any day of the week off ebay too. Personally, I think that there are guys(some on this board) who can run the 6gear with brushless successfully but they have alot more experience with them and pry better than the average ability to drive. I've been rc established for the last 20 years but don't think I'm in that bracket so I go stealth for me. Simpler for a simpler guy :mrgreen:

Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

Zedmaster
Approved Member

Post by Zedmaster »

I'm certainly not one of those guys!

Zmd73

Post by Zmd73 »

I been hunting for buggy nearly impossible to find. Is the wheel base wider on the RC 10T? Plus I would assume that that rear arms are a little wider in the stealth? Since the Trany case is narrower than the 6 Gear.

foots
Approved Member

Post by foots »

nvxwax will have a couple of metal idlers in a few days he might sell

slim_chance
Approved Member

Post by slim_chance »

I am not one of the guys that could run a brushless on a 6 gear either I'm too throttle happy. The 6 gear would probably detonate for real. I think I am just going to leave it brushed for now. I am probably going to run it once or twice and then shelf queen it.

RC104ever
Approved Member

Post by RC104ever »

Hey guys I ran my 6 gear with a lipo and brushless to see how it would do but I had 3 Stealth trannies and 3 6 gears in my back pocket so I experimented. One car had a stock 6 gear, the other I had 'treated' the internals with diff lube.

The car with diff lube lasted quite awhile longer than the other car but still eventually died with a broken idler gear. With my stealth I have had no issues - its just a better transmission.
- Chris
Lots of cars...so many cars

oldmanian
Approved Member

Post by oldmanian »

I am in the same boat, I want to go brushed, and hunting for a stealth. If I can't find a stealth, would an MIP be an option for Brushless?

Thanks.

rc10johnny
Approved Member

Post by rc10johnny »

did someone say 6gear,stealth,RPM?????? :mrgreen: Image

JPAE07
Approved Member

Post by JPAE07 »

You're a little low on 6 gears.