Late Edinger - Peroxide bath?

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Jedi Master
Approved Member

Late Edinger - Peroxide bath?

Post by Jedi Master »

Am lucky to have scored myself, what looks to be, a late Edinger unbuilt kit.

Pics here:
http://s250.photobucket.com/albums/gg241/Jedi_Master1/RC10%20Edinger/

Am planning on building it but was thinking about putting all of the plastics in a peroxide bath foe a few days of uv light.

Two questions: Do you think this will cause any damage to the plastics, considering how old they are? And, do you think that pure white would be a bad choice and I should stay with the original looking off-white look?

Opinions please....... :)
Do, or do not! There is no 'try'!
RC; Boats, Buggies, Trucks, Bash's, Racing and of course 'VINTAGE'!
My Ebay Feedback: http://feedback.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=jedimaster768&ftab=AllFeedback

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Re: Late Edinger - Peroxide bath?

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

I like the bright white myself. :wink: Parts should be fine. Probably hold up better than the whipped parts people have used I would think. Just because they're less brittle to begin with being NIP. Nkice score BTW! :mrgreen:
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

Jedi Master
Approved Member

Post by Jedi Master »

I was thinking pure white too, but feel a twinge of guilt for not leaving it original. I'm also struggling with the decision on the paint scheme. Should I feel a level of responsibility to go with traditional box art, or should I go with my usual race colours?

I appreciate that some would say that I have a duty to keep it original, but with so many people doing the box-art themes, wouldn't it be better to do something different?

I've seen a whole bunch of really good paint schemes on here and think that the box-art would simply feel a little ordinary, if that is at all possible when your lucky enough to have a new unbuilt kit...... :lol:
My Ebay Feedback: http://feedback.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=jedimaster768&ftab=AllFeedback

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

To be honest, I think I speak for a lot of people when I say there are plenty of box art RC10s out there. I think the models where people put their own spin on them are far more interesting. IMHO :D
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

What do you have left if all your snow white parts are chalky, which is typical of peroxided parts? Just a thought-

Jedi Master
Approved Member

Post by Jedi Master »

Charlie don't surf wrote:What do you have left if all your snow white parts are chalky, which is typical of peroxided parts? Just a thought-
Chalky? Ok, you got my attention! :o Can you explain further, does that refer to colour or what might be a change to the plastic condition?

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Yes, please get more info from someone with more experience. I've never read the entire peroxide thread because I've never needed whiter parts. I thought the earlier parts help up well, but obviously I may be wrong. I don't want my opinion to ruin your parts... :x Good luck whatever route you choose. I look forward to seeing it. :D
Ken

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

there's absolutely no reason, in my opinion, to put those parts in peroxide. just build it.

mikea96

Post by mikea96 »

scr8p wrote:there's absolutely no reason, in my opinion, to put those parts in peroxide. just build it.
I agree i would just build it as is.

madweazl
Approved Member

Post by madweazl »

I tossed my RC10 parts in a peroxide bath for about a day and a half and was pleased with the results. It lightened them slightly and there werent any adverse effects from the process.

DougH
Approved Member

Post by DougH »

I did a box art car and am happy with it. It was a rebuild so I did the peroxide to clean it up., Second car I left teh body clear to show off the chassis more.

With your NIB kit I'd build it "as is", the body is your call. Do whatever you like best as you're the one that has to be happy with the results, not somebody else

VintageCat
Approved Member

Post by VintageCat »

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB wrote:To be honest, I think I speak for a lot of people when I say there are plenty of box art RC10s out there. I think the models where people put their own spin on them are far more interesting. IMHO :D
I'd been considering starting a thread on that very same train of thought - why are the box art builds so popular? I never once bought something and said "Hey, I want it to look like someone else's..." :wink:

I do admire the effort put into box art builds, just not my thing. You know how it's going to turn out, and then it often turns into "the font on that sticker is wrong" type discussions. :roll:

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

Jedi Master wrote:
Charlie don't surf wrote:What do you have left if all your snow white parts are chalky, which is typical of peroxided parts? Just a thought-
Chalky? Ok, you got my attention! :o Can you explain further, does that refer to colour or what might be a change to the plastic condition?
Associated used different nylon mixtures or climatic or environmental differences make some of the nylon take an ashy appearance after a perioxide bath ( like all the oil is sucked out of the parts ). I personally look at it like this, if the car cost you $100 bucks ( let's pretend ) and its parts are bright white but chalky and you have to replace them all then its going to cost you a lot more time and money than the $100 you started with in it, or you sell the remaining perfect parts for less than.$100 you had in it when you had a perfect car to start with. Just my .02

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

It might have been discussed on here before but I worry if long exposure to peroxide adversely affects the plastic at all. Whitening parts up a little bit seems like it would be fine but bleaching the heck out of something just seems like it would do harm. Maybe its the idea that soaking something in a chemical for too long can't be that good for it. Unless a controlled test is performed in some plastics lab using expensive equipment we might never know.

askbob
Approved Member

Post by askbob »

Nice new car Jedi, I wouldn't peroxide that stuff for NO reason. :shock:

Those parts look as good as the day they were made from the pics.