Graphite

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Johnboy72
Approved Member

Graphite

Post by Johnboy72 »

Ok, so thinking of doing some playing around and would like to get material for shock towers and little stuff like that. Also, I'm considering building a sprint car so might need to find some material for a chassis plate. I've seen sheets in the past on Ebay. But I don't know what thickness and what's better for what. I had seen some colored graphite sheets at one time too. Any info would be cool. Was gonna use the search button but my 1yr old thinks he has to sit in my lap every time I pull out the laptop. AGH.

jwscab

Re: Graphite

Post by jwscab »

it is available in alot of places, just depends on how much you want to pay. you will mostly find the 3k weave, which is the large woven type look, but you can get other types as well as texalium which is aluminized carbon fiber and has different colors.

you should shoot for mostly 3mm or 1/8" for chassis and shock towers at a minimum. I've seen some towers on ebay that are 2mm, but I really think that is too thin.

most chassis have a kickup built in, but you will be hard pressed to find raw stock to make your own. one option is to use a flat plate and use something like this as a front bulkhead:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXJH19&P=7

oh, with a 1yr old especially, be very careful with the dust that you generate when cutting carbon. I've seen all sorts of conflicting reports that say it's very bad for you(like asbestos), or that it's not bad, no-one really seems to have a solid factual concensus at this point, but I would error on the side of caution. use water when cutting or do it outdoors with a mask on, etc etc and try and use something that does not throw dust out (like dremel etc.) unless you control the dust somehow.

mrlexan
Approved Member

Post by mrlexan »

jwscab wrote:oh, with a 1yr old especially, be very careful with the dust that you generate when cutting carbon. I've seen all sorts of conflicting reports that say it's very bad for you(like asbestos), or that it's not bad, no-one really seems to have a solid factual concensus at this point, but I would error on the side of caution. use water when cutting or do it outdoors with a mask on, etc etc and try and use something that does not throw dust out (like dremel etc.) unless you control the dust somehow.
I don't think it's limited to just 1 year olds..... yourself included. Anything other than air or water vapor (anything un-natural) is bad for your lungs.
I am not here cause I am playing photographer and on my mountain bike.
www.gojammedia.com

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

yes, of course....I just mean to make sure your 1yr old isn't out checking out what daddy is doing, with no protection, unbeknownst to daddy....

it's like the dog watching you weld with no eye protection, while you are busy and don't know he's there......sometimes it just happens.....

Johnboy72
Approved Member

Post by Johnboy72 »

Oh, I understand what your all saying. I do the grinding and such down in the basement as the wifey doesn't like me using the dremel upstairs. So looks like 3mm then. I'll check out ebay. As far as the Sprintcar, I'm looking to build up the chassis like my KRP cars but using modern suspension and stealth transmission. The front kickup will be incorporated into the frame or I'll use something similiar to what's on my Cobra Nemesis.

EvolutionRevolution
Approved Member

Post by EvolutionRevolution »

If possible, try to work under water or under a stream of water. Graphite/carbon dust is really bad for you (like, cancer bad). :(

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

Carbon cuts well under water cooled conditions, any tile that I cut blanks I use a diamond wet saw and a tile cutting table.

But you body is composed of carbon- and the only real symptom of carbon dust intake is black lung which is a serious issue, but Fiberglass is way way way scarier to inhale as it is a 100% foreign particulate.