SC10 Factory Team by Slotcarrod

For all things R/C, post '90s to today.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

slotcarrod
Approved Member

SC10 Factory Team by Slotcarrod

Post by slotcarrod »

I thought I would show my SC10 with as many FT parts I could get for it.

This started as the 7027 kit. It was a very fun and easy build with only one error on one of the turnbuckle lengths. Don at Associated warned me about this mistake. I never use instruction turnbuckle lengths, as I adjust them on the truck anyway.

This truck has every FT option to date. It includes turnbuckles, shocks, shock caps, shock bushings, shock rod ends, alum screws and nuts, arms, top plate, front brace, front axles, CVD's, 30 deg castor blocks, servo mounts, servo saver blue adj nut, steering rack bearings, ball diff, LW out drives, B4/T4 trans case, green seal bearings, milled motor mount and a clear dust cover. Oh! FT body clips :roll:

The T4 towers will not work as they need extra mounting holes for the bumpers. I was told that there would be a running change to FT T4 towers so they will later fit the SC10.

Body off.

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Re: SC10 Factory Team

Post by klavy69 »

Nice...got any plans on the front end 'skidplate' stiffener? Seen alot of auctions for them and other forums seem to have some breakage problems with them...
Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

lowrydesign
Approved Member

Post by lowrydesign »

yea, ive broke 2 chassis already... not a shear fractures, but rather a stretch fracture from the skid plate pulling the chassis apart..... go figure!! the secret to making the sc10 handle is the ride height.. lower the better, but it makes the chassis more vulnerable so a stiffener is a must, i made mine from 22 gauge steel, and used the servo holes, rather than drilling holes into a chassis... my 2 cents

slotcarrod
Approved Member

Post by slotcarrod »

lowrydesign
Approved Member

Post by lowrydesign »

i would... i haven't crashed mine. but it still broke twice... i only drive at the track to.

slotcarrod
Approved Member

Post by slotcarrod »

lowrydesign wrote:
i would... i haven't crashed mine. but it still broke twice... i only drive at the track to.

Ok, I purchased two! Is there anything else I should get that you guys recommend?

Diggley
Approved Member

Post by Diggley »

slotcarrod wrote:
lowrydesign wrote:

Ok, I purchased two! Is there anything else I should get that you guys recommend?

Maybe a truck that doesn't break?...

Just kidding.

If everyone is breaking these things, why isn't this an issue for Associated's R&D dept. or something subject to a massive recall?
On every post I've read, there has been mention of an obviously weak design in the chassis. I dig my Associated stuff too, but if it falls apart on a regular basis, I'd tend to lose faith in it.

This is a pretty good reason for me not to get one vs. the more beater freindly Slash.

Is the chassis just dirt cheap, ($) and that's why everyone is OK with replacing them??

Regardless, the truck looks awsome!
Projects and shelfers:
Late Edinger, RC10B2, Dual Sport, GT, Kyosho Turbo Ultima, Triumph, Tamiya Sand Scorcher, Blackfoot/Monster Beetle, '67 Beetle, Nikko Rhino, Traxxas Fiero, Slash, Hand-built Dune Buggy..all on here somewhere...

Daddeo
Approved Member

Post by Daddeo »

I couldn't imagine why these chassis's are breaking since they are based on the T4 chassis and I have yet to break any of my T4 chassis's. Could it be the place of manufacture making these chassis's prone to breakage?!......China...

slotcarrod
Approved Member

Post by slotcarrod »

Like I said, I beat both of mine up pretty bad. No breakage yet. Of course it's not going to be as tough as a Slash, but I did not buy a dump truck, I bought a race truck!

slotcarrod
Approved Member

Post by slotcarrod »

Oh Boy, I should not have spoken! I broke my chassis last night at the track. It snapped right under the bell cranks and broke the top brace as well. :cry:

It must be the plastic they are using because at the point of the break, the design is the same as the B4 and T4.

When my skid pate/braces come in, that problem should go away. I hope! Now I have to order a chassis as well. :(

ps: Don't jump the SC10 when it's windy! :mrgreen:

vintage AE
Approved Member

Post by vintage AE »

it was a nice looking truck. it's probably not very nice all broken up though.

call-911
Approved Member

Post by call-911 »

Very nice! Any idea on the cost of all the FT stuff? I'd love to do at least the shocks, but I don't want to put so much money in it that I could've gotten an SC8e instead. My wife asked me what I wanted for my birthday and so I advised her of the SC10. 30 minutes later I was online buying it from Tower with a $25 off coupon code. Looking forward to it!!! I already have a Slash, but the way that the front wheels move forward and backwards under the body due to the angle of the front arms kind of turned me off to the truck realism-wise. It just looks kind of goofy when in the air at full droop.
Keith C

slotcarrod
Approved Member

Post by slotcarrod »

call-911 wrote:Very nice! Any idea on the cost of all the FT stuff?

I don't want to talk about it! :cry:

Yes I could have purchased a SC8 with all the money spent on it! :cry: Oh well, I still love my SC10! Even more when it's fixed! :mrgreen:

For FT parts go to this link: http://67.199.85.166/main/maincategory.php?category=4006.sc10x&brand=assoc&nav=off1.10tnav , copy part # and check at Tower http://www.towerhobbies.com/ or you local hobby shop for prices!

slotcarrod
Approved Member

Post by slotcarrod »

So.......You all know I broke my SC10FT in half? :oops:

The parts needed for the fix! Got the skid plate on eBay, but I think the guy only made a few. I got two!

All done and I'm happy again! :D

lowrydesign
Approved Member

Post by lowrydesign »

dammmmm you must have snapped the nose and kept going, ive never seen the chassis break at the bulkhead