desperate about my CAT 1 !! Finally happy !!

The place for all things Schumacher.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

michi
Approved Member

Re: desperate about my CAT 1

Post by michi »

Uzzi,

I'm chasing all around the first Kyosho ultima for example. This car is my personal trauma. I bought an ultima in 1987 and improved it step by step with my money as a paperboy. Ballbearings, cardan shafts, and yeahhh... the Joel Johnson-TRINITY carbone chassis ! At this status my cars ( ultima, boomerang, Graupner Porsche ) were stolen out of my cellar. That was the end of this hobby for many years. :( But now I'm back :P
My plan of revenge was to own the following cars in good shape. CAT SWB , Doghfighter 834b, RC10 Goldpan and of course the ultima. Nr.1 and 2 were done ! Furthermore i have a Kyosho Scorpion in good shape with a little harm at the cage. All around this buggys my chase is going on at the moment :wink:

uzzi
Approved Member

Post by uzzi »

Michi,

The Ultima was also one of my first cars during my younger days :D . In actual fact I am in the process of building a Joel Johnson Style replica (Carbon chassis, JG shock towers, etc) myself. Its kinda stalled for awhile now as other projects take over but for sure I shall complete it one day :wink: Now I know what you have I shall see what I have that may interest you .

michi
Approved Member

Post by michi »

:shock: Dont't tell me , you have the Trinitiy-chassis !!! This thing seems to me similar hard to find as the CAT SWB body !! :P I know we are in the wrong section with this theme, but i would give you much more for this chassis as the cat cramps . Thats for sure ! :D
Would be great if you could start a topic in the kyosho section with pictures of your project ! Is there anything to adore yet ??

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

it's funny how everyone is after a trinity chassis for the ultima lately. a little over a year ago, there was a guy selling one nip on ebay and he couldn't give it away for $40. the regular AND a saddle chassis'.

8rad
Approved Member

Post by 8rad »

I sold a mint SWB cat with uncut top and bottom shells a few years ago for $160.00 USD.

OOOOOPS!

We all have those stories dont we! :oops: :oops: :oops:
"It's not broken, it's British!"

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Post by Eau Rouge »

Hah! Some people would pay that for just the Lexan parts.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

is there ANY bodies available for the swb cars that are easier to find than the original? if so, are they all impossible to find, or is it that you just want a factory body because of restoration purposes?

mrlexan
Approved Member

Post by mrlexan »

I don't thing the SWB car had a long production life for anyone to make many bodies for it. Once it was replaced with the LWB chassis, it was likely all but forgotten about.
I am not here cause I am playing photographer and on my mountain bike.
www.gojammedia.com

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Post by Eau Rouge »

I used a Dahms Warrior and a Proline Class 8 on my CATs, too. Many would fit, few—if any—had been made for that car specifically.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

i'm pretty sure my lhs has a parma body kit for a swb cat. jay would have to confirm that since i grabbed one for him awhile back, and there was 2. it was the body, undertray, and i think a gear cover and wing all on one sheet.

i could've been a lwb body........ i really don't remember.

michi
Approved Member

Post by michi »

Hi, guys

I'm glad started such a agile topic yesterday. Thanks for all your coms till now !! Here some pictures of the actuator :D
I hope to show you more soon . At the moment the CAT is dismantled for cleaning . I look forward about your opinions to this peace of history :wink:

[img=http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/7766/catganz.th.jpg]
[img=http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/9611/catunten.th.jpg]
[img=http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/4176/catfrontunten.th.jpg]
[img=http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/9177/cathinten2.th.jpg]

minichamps11
Approved Member

Post by minichamps11 »

michi wrote: Maybe you can explain me why the CAT 1 is so rare compared to the XL
Eau Rouge wrote: Rear 4-row authentic tires, early grey front bumpers, original black wheels, all Lexan items (including the belt covers), and diff case aluminum side plates have been the hardest things to find over the years. The body has been the worst, though. I have enough for 2 cars (one new and one as a very clean runner, if I want), and I have no bodies for either of them.
The SWB car was on sale for less than 12 months before the XL was released (I'm guessing modern buggies are on sale for 2 - 3 years minimum). As the XL was superior to the SWB car (and easy to upgrade to), I believe most of the original CATs were converted to long wheel base spec, hence why they are so rare in original spec.

As far as I know, the SWB wing is the same as the XL, and XLS one, but I couldn't be 100% sure without digging them all out and checking.

When I built my SWB CAT it took me over 4 years to find the body set & undertray (in Australia), and another year before I found a grey front bumper. Battery clamps were holding me back for ages and then suddenly I seemed to trip over them on eBay all the time, so they are around still. Eau Rouge - totally agree about mint black wheels & aluminium gearbox plates being hard to find. I find the latter rather strange as almost the same gearbox sides were in production for 6 years until the demise of the Procat. Judging by the number of optional black anodised side plates I've got NIP, I suspect most racers bought these instead, leaving the hobby stores with no spare stock of the originals for us to find 17 years later. I know I did when I raced back in the 90's.

As for tyres being rare, that's probably my fault.... I have three huge mail sacks full of original 2.0" CAT tyres :shock:
Those of you after a few final bits, I share your pain but if you stay patient & keep looking you will get lucky - this photo is proof:

More piccies here:http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=72408&sid=23061

minichamps11
Approved Member

Post by minichamps11 »

michi wrote: At the moment the CAT is dismantled for cleaning . I look forward about your opinions to this peace of history
Notice your car has an alloy rear shock tower. Are you after an original replacement?

Cheers,

Ian

michi
Approved Member

Post by michi »

Yes .You are right about the rear shock tower. An original replacement would be nice. I will follow your advice and stay patient. One fine day there's a body , a wing and a shock tower anyway :lol:

michi
Approved Member

Post by michi »

Ian,

Sorry! I forgott to say thank you for your detailed explanation about the early cats. No wonder the parts are so rare if the SWB was made just a year before the XL came out. I'm sure this is the main reason of our " problems " today . :)
But never mind . This means concurrent my SWB is something particular :!: It is just awesome to hold such a car in my hands which was absolutely impayable in those days. I have still a few magazines from that time with dealer quotes for the cats . The prices were incedible at least in germany. 300 Euro convertet !!! Back in 1987 !! Therefore we had to contend with Kyosho and Tamiya :lol: