Cut-down Chassis - All Andy’s & MIP Build

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

mikedealer
Approved Member

Re: Cut-down Chassis - All Andy’s & MIP Build

Post by mikedealer »

i think the easiest and most efficient way is a belt sander, cuts down like a warm knife through butter.. but be careful lol.

aeiou
Approved Member

Post by aeiou »

Yep, the bench top belt sander is what I use for the bulk of material removal. That thing will chew through aluminum in no time. It gets very hot – fast - so I use welding gloves. For me, it works real well at keeping the job uniform. Hand sanding takes care of the rest.

There are a lot of members here who are really good with a Dremel (I’m not one of them), and you’ve probably seen their awesome results. I used it on a small piece of that motor plate and that was enough. I drink way too much coffee to try to cut down an entire chassis with one of those things. :lol:

a01butal
Approved Member

Post by a01butal »

I cut down a chassis last week with a pheumatic cut off wheel and that went real fast. These are used to cut through exhaust pipes and metal things so it went real fast. Problem was keeping hold of the chassis in some hard to hold angles so I screwed it down to a flat board and held on to it. I got it cut down to the line as close as I dared and then put the board in a workmate and then took it down the rest of the way with a good heavy file and then a smaller file. Altogether it took maybe an hour or less but I made sure I didn't have any Oopsies that way. Also suggest you scribe cut off line and not use pencil or marker cause it can dissapear on you. Most time was spent on filing but I got pretty good results taking my time.

This is all very interesting!

rc-stu
Approved Member

Post by rc-stu »

that buggy is looking great! can't wait to see it anodized if that's what you go with.

bearrickster
Approved Member

Post by bearrickster »

thats Nice I like the cut down chassis the black with the polished edge looks great
LOSI RULES!!

Bearrickster's Rides
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=16714

littleVETTE
Approved Member

Post by littleVETTE »

mikedealer wrote:i think the easiest and most efficient way is a belt sander, cuts down like a warm knife through butter.. but be careful lol.

lol i remember doing that on a belt sander with my nose plates. they went down so fast that i lost a couple of nose plates to it.

i use a pneumatic pizza cutter as well. much better, accurate, and slower. and at the same time you could sand down the imperfections. finish it off with a dremel sanding band. i recently cut down one of my team chassis'. i love it.

littleVETTE
Approved Member

Re: Cut-down Chassis - All Andy’s & MIP Build (Help needed!)

Post by littleVETTE »

m_vice wrote:
aeiou wrote: personally, i think a litesink on a tub chassis looks retarted. or any motor plate that doesn't attach to the tub, for that matter. just my opinion, though......................... :wink:
I am with you on this one. It look unfinished. thats why i fabricated this alum plate to finish the GPM blue motor plate.

SOME MORE PICS... i made one with Kidex material.

how and where did you come with kydex material like that? i've never seen it in that way. only in 90 degrees.

skunk.werkz
Approved Member

Post by skunk.werkz »

Weave wrote:Sorry if I'm asking the obvious, but what is the preferred method to cut down a tub chassis?
Dremel :? That's how I did two of my cars, if you are careful and have a steady hand there won't be any scratches. I can cut a tub in 20 mins flat, perfectly

fastang
Approved Member

Post by fastang »

Very nice looking. I'm collecting parts to build a driver something like this!