New semi old man on the block

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

T_Duffey

New semi old man on the block

Post by T_Duffey »

Man am I ever happy I was reffered to this site. read for 3 straight hours before I even registered. Glad to know that there are plenty of folks out there that are nuts about these cars also. Anyways look forward to reading and buying selling some odds and ends on here to finish my 1984 car also. First thing first, there seems to be alot of talk about naked on these boards, you guys are straight arent ya :lol:

PS no disrespect to those that like the same sex if ya on here but was just making joke

badhoopty
Approved Member

Post by badhoopty »

white plastic makes me feel all naughty.

welcome to the board.

T_Duffey

Post by T_Duffey »

speaking of white plastic. I heard that if you soke the white parts in boiling water it makes them look almost new again. Is this true? I heard like 20 minutes or so makes them look nice and white and takes out that old faded look. anyone hear of this before

mrlexan
Approved Member

Post by mrlexan »

badhoopty wrote: makes me feel all naughty
Be afraid young man, be VERY AFRAID.......... RUN! LOL!............... We could always start a thread about chicks

In all seriousness, welcome.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

T_Duffey wrote:speaking of white plastic. I heard that if you soke the white parts in boiling water it makes them look almost new again. Is this true? I heard like 20 minutes or so makes them look nice and white and takes out that old faded look. anyone hear of this before
first off, welcome to the board.

i'd say you could try soaking the parts, it isn't gonna hurt to try it. maybe you could try adding some whitening dye to it. i don't know what, if anything, it'll do.

knucklebuster
Approved Member

Post by knucklebuster »

Welcome!

I've been meaning to post this for a while as everyone is interested in cleaning white parts. Hot water alone will give you hot parts. Hot water, dish soap, a splash of bleach and alot of time work wonders. I have yet to find Castrol Super Clean, posts say it's the ticket.

My cleaner of choice is B12 Chemtool by Berryman. Easily removes grease/dirt from parts. Use it with a pipe cleaner to clean the guides/holes for hinge pins. Parts look much more bright after guides are cleaned. I clean with soap and water after to remove cleaner (mostly toluene, acetone, methyl ethyl ketone). The cleaner is in a highly pressurized aerosol can. BE CAREFUL and WEAR EYE PROTECTION!!!

The cleaner also remove servo tape, permanent marker and paint. It does not, repeat does not damage gold anodizing!!! Cleans motors but does not evaporate very quickly.

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Post by Eau Rouge »

Welcome, Tony. Glad you finally made it. :D

I've tried boiling, bleaching and whitening, and nothing works that I have found. Don't waste your time. Someone here, though, used a product in Europe that I didn't recognize the name of, and it looked like it worked really well.

I can't find the post... Asso_man!, CoxyBen, Noony, who was it?

doug

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Post by Eau Rouge »

knucklebuster wrote:(mostly toluene, acetone, methyl ethyl ketone). The cleaner is in a highly pressurized aerosol can. BE CAREFUL and WEAR EYE PROTECTION!

More like, wear a HAZMAT suit. Between the Toluene and the MEK, I donno which is worse...

That's ok, three-headed babies are cool, and can make you money in the side show. :D

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

Welcome. 8)

Simple Green does an excellent job of cleaning up the old white parts. I took apart my TMS dually and sprayed everything down with simple green and scrubbed the parts quickly with an old toothbrush, and they look great. I didn't even go crazy getting in all the holes and stuff and the parts look awesome. If you took a little time, I bet you could get them real close to looking NOS. I think Simple Green is nearly as good an invention as duct tape. :lol:

mrlexan
Approved Member

Post by mrlexan »

Also try CLR, it really works great..... mix with hot water and let it sit for a couple of days. You won't even have to scrub them down.

T_Duffey

Post by T_Duffey »

Thx guys for all the idea's. One of my Local HS has quite a bit of old parts NIB laying around in boxes and I have found some really nice stuff but things like the White 6 speed tranny cases and such I just can not find and was looking for a way to really bring that white look back to them. I have spotted several Black cases for both 6 gear and stealth but thats about it.

I aint looking to make it all original but I am wanting to make it a really nice looking. Wish I could afford some nice aluminum wheels and such but things like that are beyond my budget this time of year. If there are certain parts anyone is looking for and you can give me a part number or a pic of it I will see what I can find for you all. Not looking to make a profit but just trying to help those that have the same passion for these vintage cars as I do

knucklebuster
Approved Member

Post by knucklebuster »

apexspeed wrote:
knucklebuster wrote:(mostly toluene, acetone, methyl ethyl ketone). The cleaner is in a highly pressurized aerosol can. BE CAREFUL and WEAR EYE PROTECTION!

More like, wear a HAZMAT suit. Between the Toluene and the MEK, I donno which is worse...

That's ok, three-headed babies are cool, and can make you money in the side show. :D
Yeah, but I find the extra eye is useful LOL! I am not far from Gibsonton, FL where many of the Ringling Brothers carneys live. If you ever pass the Showtime Bar on US41, stop in... you might catch the bearded lady drunk and ready for action.

T_Duffey

Post by T_Duffey »

apexspeed wrote:Welcome, Tony. Glad you finally made it. :D

I've tried boiling, bleaching and whitening, and nothing works that I have found. Don't waste your time. Someone here, though, used a product in Europe that I didn't recognize the name of, and it looked like it worked really well.

I can't find the post... Asso_man!, CoxyBen, Noony, who was it?

Thanks Doug, man my car aint no where near as nice as yalls rides but I can say its mine and I am the proud papa LOL. My original chassis was from the 1984 kit but I hit a tree and well it kinda did a number on it, so I found a guy looking for some GT parts and he had a kit that looks like it was maybe the 90 91 year, has the wider front arms and such but still had the 6 gear tranny, I dont have enough knowledge about these things yeat to know whats what but after reading for awhile it wont take long to learn. I have all my parts from the 84 kit still so who knows what I will make LOL

doug
Attachments
rc10talk.jpg
Here is what I have as of now
rc10talk.jpg (203.27 KiB) Viewed 2064 times
rc10talk.jpg (203.27 KiB) Viewed 2064 times

Woobie
Approved Member

Post by Woobie »

Hey gang,

I can tellyou my secret weapon- a vibratory tumbler. I got mine off Eastwood, and it is nothing more than a bowl that sits on a vibrating pedestal.

You take your parts, drop them in the bowl, then you take your tumbling medium- (if you buy the tumbler from them, it comes with a bag of these little green pyramids, that are suited to cut rust and clean) put it in the bowl, about half full, then dump a couple cap fulls of degreaser, anything will do really, just use concentrated stuff.

Next, you turn on the tumbler, and let it go all day. Check back later, and see how it looks, and you will be amazed. With the degreaser and the green triangle medium, it is the same as you scrubbing it with a brush. When it is as clean as you want it, take everything out and rinse and dry.

I have used this for doing cleaning old Tamiya wheels- it makes them look like brand new again!

Now, the tumbler I have cost me about a hundred dollars, but it is one of the best investments I have ever made.

There are different sized tumbler pedestals, as well as different sized bowls, so make sure to get the right size.

Also, not only is this thing good for cleaning plastic parts, but it is phenomenal for cleaning metal.

I will take an old nasty car, with grease, dirt and paint all over it; strip it completely down, and throw all the loose parts in the bowl, and let her go for a day. They come out looking brand new. Then, you take the metal parts, throw them in the bowl, and take some of the dry shine tumbling medium, and let it go for another day, and it looks like you just spent hours polishing everything.

Scott

qctires
Approved Member

Post by qctires »

Tide and clorox bleach works too. That's what I use. :D