Help needed, new to Yokomo

The place for all things Yokomo.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Spoon
Approved Member

Help needed, new to Yokomo

Post by Spoon »

Hello,

So my interest in Yokomo buggies has been growing and I'm at the point where I would like to take the plunge and start a vintage restoration. I'm looking for advice on which model to get. My points of concern are:

Popularity
Available parts
Aesthetics

I would like to get a car that looks cool and is rewarding when complete. I don't mind searching for components, I actually love this part the most but I do want to be able to finish it so a super rare car wouldn't be ideal.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated
Thanks - Spoon

jwscab

Re: Help needed, new to Yokomo

Post by jwscab »

the most prevalent yokomo with parts availability is the 870c, it is the first in the line of belt drive 4wd buggies from yokomo, and seems to be the one that had the most production.
the subsequent versions upgraded the suspension a couple of times, and made gradual changes/improvements, however those parts are hard to find as you get up in years, at least they seem to be much less common. For a long time, the front and rear bulkheads, diffs, belts and motor mount remained the same 'core' parts with the chassis/suspension and braces changing around it. those parts are even the core of the YR4 on road touring cars, so a parts car of one of those would net a lot of the bits and pieces that would go a long way towards getting a 4wd off roader built.

for the yokomo purists, very minor changes result in hard to find parts. for a guy trying to get one up and running, an 870c is probably a good start, many parts can mix and match, and even some newer parts are available that will fit and work.

the stock 870c shocks suck, most are replaced with rc10 variations. there are TONS of threads available to look at all the various models over the years, the thread at the top gives a good verbal description. Wish that thread was updated with photos like the rc10 thread.

rccars4sal
Approved Member

Post by rccars4sal »

Thats where I started, 870c. Its nice because after collecting enough parts to build a nice car, then theres likely spares enough to get a start on a 91 ,,,,, then a 93,, then a 94,, then a 95,, then a couple of wcs models,,, then a 97....

Spoon
Approved Member

Post by Spoon »

Thank you guys for the insight, sounds like the 870c is a great starting point. Are there any other good places to find cars besides eBay ? I've been looking for awhile and only seen 1. On a side note I was able to score this Fibre-Lyte chassis from my LHS yesterday.
Attachments
image.jpg

naushad
Approved Member

Post by naushad »

I'd say looking at UK-based forum and ebay UK the perspective in my opinion is a little different.

I think there are less 870C but more works 91 / yz10 '94 runners that can be found with parts.

Good luck in your build and make sure to post your progress here!

:D

stickboy007
Approved Member

Post by stickboy007 »

I also started with an 870C, which I found for $30 on Craigslist. That has since ballooned quite a few more, but to be honest, a lot of those finds were just plain old luck and lots of grinding it out on eBay and various forums.

If you're looking for the best shelf queen, it all comes down to taste, but personally I'd say the '91, '92, or '93 Works are the way to go, only because they are much less common. If you're looking for a good runner, the '94 is a great chassis and can take a real beating. The 870C is also a very good runner if you put enough time into setup. The only real issue with the 870C is that is uses a lot of magnesium components (bulkheads, motor mount, hub carriers, steering blocks) which break easily and so are not friendly to poor driving. Those parts are also hard to find, but you can get YR4 nylon bulkheads which are a good, durable replacement, and you can play games with some Kyosho molded parts for the hub carriers and steering blocks.

My own rule of thumb is to have at least one shelf queen for every vintage runner of the same type. That way, I preserve the history but also get to enjoy it. I'd recommend getting more than one YZ10 if you can. They're great cars and a lot of fun to drive.

fakiee
Approved Member

Post by fakiee »

Well your off to a good start, found one of the rarest parts going. Nice 8)