Stealth tranny question

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Dave145
Approved Member

Stealth tranny question

Post by Dave145 »

So the question here is durability. I'm looking at a trinity d5 flatliner motor for my car. It's the 8 turn version and It's brand new. My question is if my first generation stealth transmission will handle the power and torque of the motor? I don't want to ruin my new transmission. What about my 3/16" cvd axles? I've read that with a heavy car and a powerful motor that smaller axles can twist/break from the load. Can this happen? What about in the grass and dirt?

Just wanted some opinions here because I dont want to damage my car again. Any ideas?

Lonestar
Approved Member

Re: Stealth tranny question

Post by Lonestar »

Dave145 wrote:So the question here is durability. I'm looking at a trinity d5 flatliner motor for my car. It's the 8 turn version and It's brand new. My question is if my first generation stealth transmission will handle the power and torque of the motor? I don't want to ruin my new transmission. What about my 3/16" cvd axles? I've read that with a heavy car and a powerful motor that smaller axles can twist/break from the load. Can this happen? What about in the grass and dirt?

Just wanted some opinions here because I dont want to damage my car again. Any ideas?
The tranny will support it no probs as long as built properly. It ain't much different from any more modern stealth, barring the slipper really. It will wear out faster obviously though.

Having said that, an 8turn mill in a 2wd is utter nonsense... actually an 8T mill in ANY car is nonsense unless you're drag racing...

Paul
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

X 2 with Paul- we ran 8x1-8x4 in Dirt Oval EDM's with perfectly balanced and trued featherlight foam tires and bodies that sucked the cars to the clay and they were still able to go from 0-150' in less than a second. If you ran that with buggy or rubber tires your going to tear up all sorts of things from outdrive bearings (heavy vibrations) to idler gears to spurs- don't do it! :lol:

Dave145
Approved Member

Post by Dave145 »

Okay so how about a team Orion 10x2 motor with the same stealth tranny and car? Would a 10x2 not provode enough torque to go through medium length grass? I thought the double wind motors were really only for pavement or hard dirt or clay. Would this be a good motor for my car ?

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

A 10 turn is still a very hot 2wd wind- the difference in single/double/triple/quad winds are initial torque. You can run a 10 if your easy on the throttle, a nice 15 turn and you could really enjoy it IMO-

Dave145
Approved Member

Post by Dave145 »

Ok I get it now. I have an older yokomo 14x2 motor from I believe the 80's or 90's. It's been through a lot of cars and car fires (stupid mechanical speed control) lately and is in rough shape. The timing ring is burnt, the brushes are at less than 1/4 of a brush lefy, the springs are weak, etc. The motor used to run great, bit now it has lost most of ots power and is slower than my 22 turn kyosho mega motor. What do I need to do to the motor to make it run like new again? Also how do i know how to set the timing. After a crash the endbell shifted from its original position this messing with the timing, so how do i know what timing position is best for my racing application?

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Two quick things- new brushes and springs. Also you might very well just drop that armature into one of the other Mod cans :wink:

Dave145
Approved Member

Post by Dave145 »

A new can?? I would be more worried about the armature being burnt from the heat even though it looks just fine to me. So would any mod can work? This motor looks to be about the size of I believe a 380. I'm not really sure. Also how would I handle timing the motor again? The timing Is already set wrong, so how would i reset it or adjust it properly?