YZ10, full rebuild!

The place for all things Yokomo.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

ralphee
Approved Member

Re: YZ10, full rebuild!

Post by ralphee »

DerbyDan wrote:Fantastic re-build - great attention to detail too 8)

I know the car has thrown up some unpleasant suprises along the way & has probably cost you a small fortune to get it to where you are now happy with it! But at least you can kind of call it 'yours' - & you must have a great sense of satisfaction in seeing it re-built to perfection 8)

Huge satisfaction Dan, cheers bud, really nice to get this far, still would like to go further as i explained to Reggie, time will tell lol.

lee

ralphee
Approved Member

Post by ralphee »

a01butal wrote:That's looking like a proper YZ-10 now, good work!
Thanks Al :wink:

lee

ralphee
Approved Member

Post by ralphee »

aip47-2008 wrote:90's era would be most excellent! 8)

Nice job Lee, that should be the description of a "Mint" rebuild. :wink:

Aaron, ill get the shell cut buddy, choose my pallet and masking style, then consult you guys again lol, kinda wanted to redo the Masami tribute i ran way back, just not sure, it was Pactra Chezoom, not even sure if you can still get it?
Or, if Pactra is any good these days?

lee

NRG
Approved Member

Post by NRG »

Box art ???

ralphee
Approved Member

Post by ralphee »

Nigel, i pondered it, but drips never really go me going, i was always into period flames and faded splits i guess.

lee

NRG
Approved Member

Post by NRG »

http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4515 may find some inspiration here.

CAT3K
Approved Member

Post by CAT3K »

That's looking awesome 8) And I quite like the gawdiness :wink:

Paul.

ralphee
Approved Member

Post by ralphee »

Nigel, something akin to that CML advert im leaning to, what ye reckon kind sir?

Paul, thanks buddy, as for the gawdiness, its from the 90's, which stemmed from the 80's, which brought us, Flo orange and yello socks, so, a bit of pink, cant be that bad LOL.

lee

NRG
Approved Member

Post by NRG »

The cml one is perfect . Got all the right colours in .

DennisM
Approved Member

Post by DennisM »

Absolutely nice and clean. Which rims are You going to mount, picture?
Gone fishing

ralphee
Approved Member

Post by ralphee »

Nigel, great minds budd LOL.

Dennis, the normal webbed dish Yokomo rims buddy, i have two NIP sets, that i want to RIT dye one set pink, the other black.
The JC's fitted are earmarked for some foam onroad tyres, though i may also get a couple of JC spokes too, there kinda sweet.

bests......lee

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

ralphee wrote:Nigel, great minds budd LOL.

Dennis, the normal webbed dish Yokomo rims buddy, i have two NIP sets, that i want to RIT dye one set pink, the other black.
The JC's fitted are earmarked for some foam onroad tyres, though i may also get a couple of JC spokes too, there kinda sweet.

bests......lee
Your plans sound great! - I especially like the idea of doing an on-road version with some mega low-profile foams! Which body design were you considering? They all appear to be CML adverts - or CML sponsored pages? I like the one on the 'poster page' which appears to be Craig Drescher's car (or at least similar paint scheme) :D

Be carefull when you dye your wheels - the black ones will be straight forward but I ruined a set of the white wheels trying to achieve the desired pink colour (well I didn't exactly ruin the wheels - they still looked good, just the wrong colour) I used a mix of Rit Fuscia & Rit Rose Pink - A smidge of Orange would have really got the colour spot on but I was happy with what I ended up with!

The Rose Pink is really gentle & on its own hardly colours the plastic at all - the Fucia on the other hand is very aggressive & care need to be taken with your quantity & duration of submersion. I would like to say what ratios & duration I used - but i'm afraid I cannot remember exactly what I did (in fact I think it was all a bit a panic in the end as I had to quickly mix up another pot as the water for the first pair had evaporated so my 2nd pair wouldn't have been fully submerged :roll: ) I know I did plenty of test runs with various white bits of plastic (other old wheels, white washers etc etc...) I would recommend you do the same to get a feel for it :wink:

ralphee
Approved Member

Post by ralphee »

Dan, hmm now your scaring me into chickening out on the pink lol, these wheels arent too easy to come by, and the secind pair i bought werent cheap, may leave a set natural, and one set black, is i already have pink JC's now?
Foams for sure matey lol, its how it was back then huh........good old days i miss so much, really need more vintage indoor meets, or, some old school playground/firehose race action hehe.
Nigel knows where im coming from lol.

Shell, yes, you read my mind, the Drescher lookylikey for sure, something along those lines, very 90's feel, in fact, i used to paint a few shells for guys back then, and it was ALWAYS a faded (thing Fab ice lolly) design LOL.

I fitted a TBG undertray today, not happy, there blooming awful for fitment, too short, too narrow in the front where the servo tray area is.....just 'orrible. Anybody know a better shell/undertray repro supplier?

Fudged up a bit lol, fitted black velcro to the Rory Cull style shell, and its not backed up, so it shows through, doh, luckily, its not staying, but, i may wind up painting my own derivative, its a nice design,i just dont get too excited about dark red.

Anyhoo, im off to do a bit on the Avante, want to finish that up by the weekend.

bests........lee

Alex B
Approved Member

Post by Alex B »

Great rebuild Lee, seems CATS was a bit of a shark.
:shock:

ralphee
Approved Member

Post by ralphee »

Thanks Alex, yes, he is, but, ive had fun too, so not all bad buddy!
Guys just cut a worlds TBG shell, seems real tight, like the undertray, anybody else get this?
TBG gear, for the YZ coming up a bit small?????

Bests....... Lee