New Member RC10T info and suggestions needed

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

RumRunnerXT

New Member RC10T info and suggestions needed

Post by RumRunnerXT »

My father bought my brother and I these about 20 years ago when they first came out, we spent alot of time building our trucks and learned alot. I used it casually on and off for 7 years or so probably. I have since decided to pull it out of the garage to work on it with my son.

For what I remember, mine is pretty stock, I have some extra parts like the dark front control arms, but I think my speed control quit on me the last time I used it...

So, I have been out of the hobby for years and have been searching/reading up on this and would appreciate your expertise/suggestions. Our main use will just be bashing in a parking lot, and tearing up some jumps on the Beach.

I looked into speed controls, and then thought if I am gonna spend that money, might as well upgrade to a cheap brushless setup.

I wanna keep thinks basic and simple, don't want to run 60mph, but 35+ sounds fun.

Your THoughts:
Suggestions for motor/esc
Do I Need Gears or Tranny
Batteries(I can't Find any, so I guess I'll pick up (2) 7 cell packs)
Do I need specific parts to keep the sand from harming parts?
I have the stock Truck Body, wasn't there an inner body to keep debris out?

Thanks, any help is appreciative, and please keep in mind I am not very up with all the latest parts and terms.

DW911
Approved Member

Re: New Member RC10T info and suggestions needed

Post by DW911 »

Welcome to the site :)
i'm pretty much as new as you to this site and been out of it as long, but you came to the right place ...these guys are really good here and seem to love helping peeps.

RumRunnerXT

Post by RumRunnerXT »

Thanks for the Quick and Warm Welcome! I think I belong to to many Forums now, but I had picked up other Hobbies since I put down the RC one, as I am sure we all did.
Hope to spend alot of time on this Forum as well.
Here is a pic of my son, checking out the truck

I'm looking to purchase some parts in December, and remember I am not looking to spend alot of money, or get to crazy(famous last words, I know)

Truckguy

Post by Truckguy »

I can relate, i just pulled mine out of mothballs too. While i am going to put "some" money into mine, i think i may just keep it with a brushed motor setup to keep it cheap in that respect. If i were you and want to keep it on a budet, just get a new (or used) electronic speed control with reverse, a mild motor, and some NiMh batteries and have fun with your son. I think if you shopped right, you could come in under $100.

The reason i too say keep it cheap is, if your going to let your son drive it, it's probably going to get broken at some point. I would stock up on some parts and/or also look into a used roller chassis for back up pieces.

Just my thoughts...
I don't mind being behind the modern times, at least we had common sense back then.

RumRunnerXT

Post by RumRunnerXT »

some more pics

Truckguy

Post by Truckguy »

OK, now that i saw some better pics, i think i would find a roller chassis on craigslist or Ebay. Those white control arm trucks seem to be in higher demand for restorations. I am not really a purists, but sometimes you just kinda know when to say when on modifications done---i learned this working on real vintage cars. Again, this is all my opinion, but at the very least, I would remove the control arms and get a set of stock black ones or a set of RPM arms as I would hate to see those white ones get damaged.
I don't mind being behind the modern times, at least we had common sense back then.

oldskoolracer
Approved Member

Post by oldskoolracer »

welcome aboard. One recommendation i'd make when you find a replacement speed control is to relocate it. That location / position offers no airflow over the heat sinks and probably helped cook it. Also, whatever speed control you get, check the manual regarding capacitors / inductors before running it. They help with performance / electro-magnetic interference but also help to prevent the speed control from cooking.
If I couldn't work on it, I wouldn't drive it.

RumRunnerXT

Post by RumRunnerXT »

Those front control arms are a little scratched up, are they still worth something to people, I have the front black replacements I will throw them on. Should I replace the backs too, then sell all the white ones?

I need to get one of those rpm bumpers, obviously the old one did nothing to protect it, and thats why you see my custom one(ha I was probably 12 when I made that)

What are some good websites to do some shopping? I remember buying from Tower Hobbies, which ones are recommended? Went to my new Local Hobby Shop and the dude was not helpfull or nice so Internet it is.

I see what you mean about the heatsink, that was a pretty dumb location, looking back.

oldskoolracer
Approved Member

Post by oldskoolracer »

i had the same experience with two local hobby shops - after I said I wasn't interested in something more modern, one guy actually laughed at the though of my racing 'that old thing'. Yeah, Tower hobbies actually sells some stuff from the older cars, and of course you should work to get accepted to the B/S/T section of this site. Other than that, Ebay is the way to go. It's far cheaper to find some old beater and use it as a parts car than it is to buy individual parts on Ebay.

lol, I have some old 'craftsmanship' parts from when I was 10 or 12 too. Back then I was so proud of my handywork. Now that I look at them I see why my dad just shook his head. haha.

I'm kinda new to this whole thing too, but do some research on this site. I believe many / most suspension parts from the RC10T are interchangeable with the GT and even the T2, T3, and T4. Also, while you're poking around here, keep an eye out for people who need some of the things you're willing to get rid of. Then PM them with a trade offer. Most of the guys here have huge collections and plenty of parts to trade/sell or even give to you. You'd be surprised.

Regarding those arms, I think the RPM arms are the most sought after around these parts, you can always find some on Ebay. But you might just want to hold on to those white ones - that'll be the first thing you break and it'll be nice to have a few spares.
If I couldn't work on it, I wouldn't drive it.

Jack Smash
Approved Member

Post by Jack Smash »

The nice thing about the 10T is that the 10T2 and the GT shared the same geometry arms and the GT was in production until just a few years ago. The parts were a little different structurally but everything else is the same. If you broke almost anything on that truck a replacement shouldnt be too hard to find.