Trans Am Wheel Trouble

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

jwscab

Re: Trans Am Wheel Trouble

Post by jwscab »

both wheels scr8p listed there are not available in the chevy pattern in a 17x9, I can't remember the max size you can fit on a 4th gen if you planning to go bigger or wider.

the gm/chevy pattern is 5 on 4.75" btw.

this wheel should be the correct application:
http://www.jegs.com/i/American-Racing/286/605M7961C/10002/-1?parentProductId=763970

17x9, with 45mm offset. this is close to factory size wheel.

shodog
Approved Member

Post by shodog »

check your local craigslist to see if some one is selling a set of take offs. I read that corvette wheels will work

badhoopty
Approved Member

Post by badhoopty »

go to ls1tech.com and look in their tire and wheel section. just about anything you want to know or see is in there. what will fit, what wont fit, vendors, etc.

if you stay with 17" wheels you can go up to an 11" wide wheel on the back with minor work.

right before i shifted focus to my samurai i was going to get some billet specialties street lite 17" wheels. 17x9 up front and 17x11 out back. pretty good looking wheel imo...
018.jpg
oe wheels has a bunch of factory gm styles of wheels.
http://www.oewheelsllc.com/Camaro-Wheels/c304220/

Brandon G
Approved Member

Post by Brandon G »

Discounttiredirect.com has slightly higher prices than tirerack but makes up for it with free shipping. Got tires for my Mustang from them a month ago with absolutely no problems.

mikedealer
Approved Member

Post by mikedealer »

thanks for all the links and suggestions. i managed to get, 4 torq thrust chrome M wheels and 2x2 staggered front/rears for $1395, to my friends shop, tax exempt and ready to go. probably coulda saved a few dollars online but i wouldnt of had them the next day

purpletimbo
Approved Member

Post by purpletimbo »

Don't I love being this side of the pond, my trusty old rover estate alloys started not seling too well, they are 16 years old after all, so I picked up 4 alloys with 6mm tread nice tyres mounted, off a much newer model, collected them last night

Total cost £60

for all 4 :mrgreen:
I wish I could run a Trans Am though :wink:

badhoopty
Approved Member

Post by badhoopty »

mikedealer wrote:thanks for all the links and suggestions. i managed to get, 4 torq thrust chrome M wheels and 2x2 staggered front/rears for $1395, to my friends shop, tax exempt and ready to go. probably coulda saved a few dollars online but i wouldnt of had them the next day
and you might have not got what you wanted, or they arrive all messed up from shipping...

some pics after you get them installed?

mikedealer
Approved Member

Post by mikedealer »

So i spent $1,395 on the button, for 4 chrome wheels, 2 front and 2 rear tires staggered, and paid $200 for install/mounting, a oil change, and a alignment, got them through a local distributor and a friend that owns a shop so it was tax exempt, not a bad deal. got them the next morning. mounted yesterday..

i think they look pretty good mounted.. i woulda liked maybe some different wheels but the price was right on these, especially since i really couldnt afford these and just needed straight replacements.

i found a shop the claims they can fix the wheels, apparently they are bent on the edges, and can be restored to new for $125 a wheel. im probably gonna have both wheels fixed and ill keep them for when i sell the car to have the original wheels on it
Attachments
my thumb is in bottom of pic whoops
my thumb is in bottom of pic whoops

badhoopty
Approved Member

Post by badhoopty »

mikedealer wrote:i found a shop the claims they can fix the wheels, apparently they are bent on the edges, and can be restored to new for $125 a wheel. im probably gonna have both wheels fixed and ill keep them for when i sell the car to have the original wheels on it
i like it.

there are places that can also widen the width and lip of factory wheels by basically cutting the bead cylinder thing off and welding a wider one in its place. a set off factory ws6 wheels widened to 11" (1" on both sides) are crazy good looking.

longboardnj
Approved Member

Post by longboardnj »

badhoopty wrote:
mikedealer wrote:i found a shop the claims they can fix the wheels, apparently they are bent on the edges, and can be restored to new for $125 a wheel. im probably gonna have both wheels fixed and ill keep them for when i sell the car to have the original wheels on it
i like it.

there are places that can also widen the width and lip of factory wheels by basically cutting the bead cylinder thing off and welding a wider one in its place. a set off factory ws6 wheels widened to 11" (1" on both sides) are crazy good looking.
if looks could kill.... sorry not tryin to be a wise guy but 11" wheels may look good but i think that would kill the rear... car looks good .. always like rwd non irs sports cars