Custom Works Dominators and Kraft radio

The place for all things Custom Works.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

LoneStarHobbies

Custom Works Dominators and Kraft radio

Post by LoneStarHobbies »

Hi all, I'm new to the forum and wanted to share pics of a couple of goodies I just picked up a few weeks ago. I just got 2 Custom Works Dominators in very good condition with spares and lots of tires. As an added bonus I was given an old Kraft radio that still works.

I've completely rebuilt one of the Dominators and ran it around an asphalt oval. Dominators love speed speed, the faster they go they better they handle, so I decided to see what she could do. I put in a 5700kv brushless and 3 cell lipo along with a freshly painted Open Comp Camaro body and ran the heck out of it. I had concerns about the chain stretching or blowing a one way bearing but didn't have any problems. The thing was ballistic and on rails. It's a shame they were discontinued.

Dean
Attachments
Dominators.jpg
Kraft TX.jpg
Kraft TX.jpg (100 KiB) Viewed 1727 times
Kraft TX.jpg
Kraft TX.jpg (100 KiB) Viewed 1727 times
Dominator1.jpg
Dominator2.jpg

bscotti
Approved Member

Re: Custom Works Dominators and Kraft radio

Post by bscotti »

very nice! I think the one on the left is a first generation.

I got one running a few weeks ago and it's a riot! The name is no fluke.
Classics rule, moderns drool

Dirtdiver
Approved Member

Post by Dirtdiver »

Great cars!
I especially like the original CW tires and the Proline Waffles.

Are the chassis carbonfiber or fiberglass?

xanadu
Approved Member

Post by xanadu »

The best car ever made. The quality is unreal and I can't remember one part on it that needed to be upgraded. When I was 14 (in 1987) I called custom works to see what the price was. $569 for the kit. I only had to mow the lawn 57 times and I would have the money. That never happened since I was supporting my RC10 effort and trying to race about two times a month. Please show some more pictures from all angles.

LoneStarHobbies

bscotti... Yes, I believe you're correct about the one being a first gen. I bought the cars from a friend who mentioned that one is a very early model prior to it being called a Dominator, at the time everyone still called it a Langraff. The other car is a later model.

Dirtdiver... I actually have a large box of different kinds of tires that came with it. The chassis is carbon fiber but it's a dull opaque finish unlike the more modern glossy finish where you can see the weave.

Xanadu... Agreed, best car ever made. I always loved how it's such a simple design that works so awesome. I'll get some more pics up for you shortly.

LoneStarHobbies

Xanadu here are a few more pics. It's a bit dusty from being stored in the garage. Also I removed the motor and ESC to temporarily put in another car.
Attachments
top.jpg
right.JPG
rear.JPG
left.JPG
front.JPG
bottom.JPG

-tc5racer-

Post by -tc5racer- »

That was the fastest car out there the the day i saw it and it was on rails!!!

junkman
Approved Member

Post by junkman »

Nice little bunch, I would love to have a dominator, just look like they are built for business. I have one of those old kraft radios as well. I've kept it around for a vintage build but havn't done much with it.

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Post by Eau Rouge »

Best AM radio ever. Still have my first one from 1983. And it still works perfectly.

Jay Dub
Approved Member

Post by Jay Dub »

Sorry, I would have to disagree (about the dominator being the best car). I think the SRP1 was the best. Basically a fully CNC'd aluminum and carbon copy of the dominator. Very pricey, but the quality was far Superior. (pun intended). -Jeff

Dirtdiver
Approved Member

Post by Dirtdiver »

The SRP-1 had magnesium arms not aluminum.

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Post by Eau Rouge »

Jay Dub wrote:Sorry, I would have to disagree (about the dominator being the best car). I think the SRP1 was the best. Basically a fully CNC'd aluminum and carbon copy of the dominator. Very pricey, but the quality was far Superior. (pun intended). -Jeff
It wasn't aluminum (magnesium or Delrin arms and mount towers), and it wasn't a carbon copy. The car was longer and narrower than a Dominator and the arms were swept differently, but it was essentially a similar design.

Quality was identical between the two cars, and for the era, both very good. Performance was similar but differed in subtle ways. I preferd driving the SRP1, but they were both lightning fast.

As for either of them being the best cars ever made, there are at least 20 contemporary touring cars and 1/8th on road cars that have better production quality and light years better design and build detail. I don't think I'd have either of those cars in my top 20 cars of all time, but that's just me. Maybe in terms of reputation and mystique, but certainly not quality or maintenance. They needed a LOT of work to build properly, and a TON of work to maintain after EVERY SINGLE HEAT. They were easily the highest maintenance cars I have ever owned, that's for sure.

Just one guy's opinions. ;)

Happy Holidays,

doug

carloco8

Post by carloco8 »

Eau Rouge wrote:Best AM radio ever. Still have my first one from 1983. And it still works perfectly.
+1
Old school racing all the way!