Mid Motor Oval 10T build *more pics*

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

PBR Allstar
Approved Member

Mid Motor Oval 10T build *more pics*

Post by PBR Allstar »

I've had this original RC10 Terminator chassis floating around for some time now and was never quite sure what to do with it. The answer came to me when I was digging through my box of old 10T parts and stumbled on a NIP nose plate (which I'm still trying to figure out how I want to brace). The rest just kind of fell together. I used a set of Daryl Lane's GT towers and fit a GT rear bulkhead with custom tranny brace and standoffs, the rest of the suspension is stock with the exception of lunsford pins and buckles, a new old set of GPM alloy rear arm mounts, custom works interim shocks, and composite craft steering. Next up will be the body, I have a super mod truck body for it, but I'm kind of thinking of fitting up a slammed original 10T body on it for a super sleeper retro look.
Attachments
RC stuff 008.jpg
RC stuff 007.jpg
RC stuff 006.jpg

adam lancia
Approved Member

Re: Mid Motor Oval 10T build

Post by adam lancia »

If you're not against putting a couple of holes in the chassis, you can use the RC10GT nose tube chassis standoff's to brace the front end.

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

funky build, I especially like the front tower
How did you move the shock mounting points on the front arms outward?

reign79
Approved Member

Post by reign79 »

WOW that thing looks fasst super cool profile level and low are you running a truck body,late model?
Ryan

RER40
Approved Member

Post by RER40 »

Mr. ED wrote:funky build, I especially like the front tower
How did you move the shock mounting points on the front arms outward?
Somebody, I don't remember who, used to make nylon blocks that bolted into the stock holes/location that moved the bottom mounting location outwards.

RER40
Approved Member

Post by RER40 »

PBR Allstar wrote:I've had this original RC10 Terminator chassis floating around for some time now and was never quite sure what to do with it. The answer came to me when I was digging through my box of old 10T parts and stumbled on a NIP nose plate (which I'm still trying to figure out how I want to brace). The rest just kind of fell together.
You could look around for the pieces for a DS front end that might get you closer the ballpark.

PBR Allstar
Approved Member

Post by PBR Allstar »

adam lancia wrote:If you're not against putting a couple of holes in the chassis, you can use the RC10GT nose tube chassis standoff's to brace the front end.

I thought about that, but the way the battery slots are in the chassis, and the fact that the battery is moved forward on the left side, repositioning the servo to the right side, it wouldn't work.

The shock Towers are from Daryl Lane at Factory Works, formerly the "L" in A&L. The are really nice pieces and have all the mounting hardware and spacers for the lower shock mounts.

The two bodies I'm considering are an original team truck body slammed down over the chassis, or a Factory Works, super mod oval truck body.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

xtreme makes a pretty cool cf front brace that might work for ya. but i don't know if you'd be able to sneak the front of it through the factory works front tower.

PBR Allstar
Approved Member

Post by PBR Allstar »

scr8p wrote:xtreme makes a pretty cool cf front brace that might work for ya. but i don't know if you'd be able to sneak the front of it through the factory works front tower.
do you have a link scr8p?

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

here ya go.

http://www.xtremercracing.com/Store_Detail.cfm?ID=114647&InfoID=2995&ShowLarge=True&SnipID=3643

it might interfere with the battery too. i really don't know.

wyldbill
Approved Member

Post by wyldbill »

here is how i braced mine, i know i posted it on dirtoval but here are some more pics with the brace. i tried a few different styles of bracing before i setteled on this one, it worked the best. by the way the belcrank screws are stainless not aluminum, that alone helped alot the aluminum ones just kept bending.
Attachments
truck '06 1.jpg
chassis '04 side.jpg
chassis '04 front.jpg
chassis '04 other side.jpg

PBR Allstar
Approved Member

Post by PBR Allstar »

Thanks for the pics Bill, I saw them last night on dodc. I'm still not quite sure how I'm going to do do it, Last night I was playing around with some 3/16 T-6 rod, but it was late and I didn't get very far. Basically I was thinking about mouning them up like stock to the front bulkhead, and putting a bend in the so they came straight down to the chassis on either side of the steering bellcranks, with a 4-40 tapped hole in the end. We'll see, I'm going to mess with it more tonight. Okay, off to work!

PBR Allstar
Approved Member

Post by PBR Allstar »

Okay, got the rest of the chassis sorted out I think. I made some nose brace tubes, and tidied up the rest of the bits. I ended up making the tubes out of 3/16 stainless rod, and bent them in a brake tubing bender, I drilled the hole in the bottom end in the lathe prior to bending them so tapping the 4-40 hole would be easier (still a pain in stainless, but then again, anything in stainless is a pain). Not super fond of the 10T steering, I forgot how much I don't like those big long bellcranks, for now I just have a servo arm on there, I had a small kimbrough servo saver on there, but it doesn't have enough resistance and the wheels would just flop around, I'll have to pick up something a bit more robust. Anyway, here are some more pics, just have to mount up a body now!
Attachments
RC stuff 014.jpg
RC stuff 013.jpg
RC stuff 012.jpg
RC stuff 011.jpg
RC stuff 010.jpg
RC stuff 009.jpg

lowrydesign
Approved Member

Re: Mid Motor Oval 10T build *more pics*

Post by lowrydesign »

this thing is turning out sweet!!!
since your a nor cal'ian like my self where you gunna run it?? im thinking about an oval build myself

PBR Allstar
Approved Member

Re: Mid Motor Oval 10T build *more pics*

Post by PBR Allstar »

Greg, Man, you're missin' out! there's a great indoor clay oval about 20 minutes down the road from you in Oakley! Kit and Caboodle hobbies, they run friday nights. I've been running my custom works sprint car, late model and outlaw edm, but the truck guys look like they are having so much fun I had to put one together. You should come out! They also run the losi 1/18th scale sliders and late models, box stock and mod for both of them, plus a begginers class that is all the little kids, and the 1/10th classes are all 19T or 10.5 brushless with the exception of the outlaw edm class, in that car I'm running a 10x1 checkpoint motor. They also have handout transponders if you need one to run. If you need a good 19T motor to come on out let me know, I have one you can use. It's a ton of fun, and good people and family atmosphere. PM me if you're interested in any of the details.