OFF ROAD VINTAGE MEETING - AUSTRALIA 13th JULY 2008....

Post about upcoming or past events.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

RETRO R/C
Approved Member

OFF ROAD VINTAGE MEETING - AUSTRALIA 13th JULY 2008....

Post by RETRO R/C »

I thought I would document the upcoming vintage meeting this weekend here in Sydney Australia.

The preparations for all of us have been long, and many a midnight hour has been spent by myself (and no doubt everyone else attending) trying to get everything ready.....

So this thread will cover the events in pictorial detail over the next few days in the lead up to , and during the meeting....it wont be live - but I hope you guys will enjoy the feeling of "being there"!!

There are going to be some very nice cars there - some very rare ones too.

Personally I will be racing a Tamiya Wild One in the "tub" class, A modified Kyosho Optima Mid in Stock (or mod - not sure yet as it depends on the performance of the next car!!) - and last but by no means least my MIP Legends 4wd converted RC10.

I have snapped a few pics of the completed cars and the pit box etc etc. Over the coming days there will hopefully be some terrific pics of lots of classic cars.

Please enjoy and ask as many questions as you need - just hope I have the time to answer them! I am sure some of the other boys at the meeting will be adding a few pics as well.

Cheers

Darryn

The "Pit Box" - slapped with heaps of vintage decals.....to get me "in the mood" :lol:

The "line up" - may use the frog if the Wild One is a "dog" !! :roll:

The workshop - prior to "pack up" using Pythagoris theorem to fit everything into my tiny Yaris!!

Heres a couple of the cars after their test runs in the back yard:

Cheers

Darryn :lol:
TO KNOW WHERE YOU ARE GOING - YOU HAVE TO KNOW WHERE YOU HAVE BEEN
VENOM International | Factory Pilot - Team SCHUMACHER UK | J-Concepts USA | B-Fast Performance USA | Bugle Boy Racing | MAX Racing Products International

Synergy
Approved Member

Re: There really is something about a big vintage meeting....

Post by Synergy »

Awe I wish we had a proper vintage class weekly and close to home :( . It looks like it's going to be great fun 8) . Did I miss the thread covering your MIP build :?:
Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Here's my TC Showroom
http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom.asp?id=18028

RETRO R/C
Approved Member

Re: OFF ROAD VINTAGE MEETING - AUSTRALIA 13th Aug 2008....

Post by RETRO R/C »

Yep - missed it: http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3160

Really looking forward to this event - last year was the first one - this year looks to be alot bigger!

Cheers

Darryn
VENOM International | Factory Pilot - Team SCHUMACHER UK | J-Concepts USA | B-Fast Performance USA | Bugle Boy Racing | MAX Racing Products International

Synergy
Approved Member

Post by Synergy »

Thank you and yes I did miss it, what a fantastic ride, kudos Sir 8)
Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Here's my TC Showroom
http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom.asp?id=18028

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

Post by Incredible_Serious »

Hey Darryn.... how'd you get photos of cars in your back yard at this time of year in Canberra, without snow covering all the grass??????

Seriously though, as I won't be making the trip, I'll be watching this thread with much interest.

Alex
Osiris is the key.

"The world looks so much better through beer goggles... except Farmer in his underwear" - Ken

Look out for Todd K. - he's a convicted serial killer!!!

RETRO R/C
Approved Member

Post by RETRO R/C »

Hi guys - really quick report - the practice day at Ryde was abondoned - so we went to the St Ives track instead (the site of the 1989 Worlds). What a great day we had running these old treasures.

Here are a few pics of the track and some of the "pit" work being done.

Jason Tapp (BORMAC) has been kind enough to put 4 of us racers up at his place - thanks Jason. You will note jason taking part in every Schumacher drivers nightmare - the replacemnent of a main belt on a pro cat - the night before a meeting!! LOTS of work.

It is 2 am here - and we have to leave at 5 - promise a more in depth report - monday your time.

Cheers

Darryn

p.s - the MIP Legend 4wd is a freaking weapon to drive!!

Many more pics to follow.

Cheers for now

Darryn

mrlexan
Approved Member

Post by mrlexan »

Where's your pic D?
I am not here cause I am playing photographer and on my mountain bike.
www.gojammedia.com

Bugle
Approved Member

Post by Bugle »

Well it's over, was a good race meet, and was good to meet the other RC10talk Aussies.

Came 4th(last) in 2WD 540 with the Top Cat, and 1st in 2WD stock with the gold tub RC10. Hopefully someone got some good pics of it in action, even raced with the alloy rims!

The MIP RC10 goes hard!

RETRO R/C
Approved Member

Post by RETRO R/C »

Not sure that there is alot of interest in what happens on the other side of the world - but here goes anyway!

Here is some vid of the MIP RC10 during competition on Sunday - hard to make out - but it managed to pull of a "move or two" in between broken axles - I ended up third in Mod - same old story though - if it had not of broken down.................. The end of the vid is of the mighty 870 C yoko.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYg8KSoywt0

I have some vid of the MIP legend running stock at St ives as well.....here is a pic of me "goosing" it sideways coming into the hairpin before the first jump after the straight:

Me and my legend at the legendary track - St Ives:

Now - the rest are picture dumping: if you are interessted - fire the questions away. I have more vid to upload later.

Cheers

Darryn

Lots of stories to tell - and lots more pics. Thanks to Jason (Bormac) for providing some of the pics. and being a great host over the weekend for 5 of his fellow enthusiasts.

GJW
Approved Member

Post by GJW »

a big thanks to all the guys for a very enjoyable time...ive never talked so much r/c in my life what a wealth of knowledge there was amongst all of us...the late nights,the beer and all the learnings combined with a 700 km drive was huge and by race day i was buggered.it was great to see all the vintage models running around again, had an absolute ball...a big thanks to jason and tracey for being super hosts, the morning erupted with the 89 worlds video including land down under theme music which was a very amusing wake up call to us all that it was time for more r/c, nice touch jason you guys on this forum would have loved it very funny indeed, cheers to all my new friends, you know who you are, a pleasure to meet you all in person..cheers from gaz 8)

RETRO R/C
Approved Member

Post by RETRO R/C »

Gaz,

Mate- I am dead set pleased to have met you mate - you are a gentleman and a pleasure to talk to.

.....and have a great sense of dress! :shock: :wink: ! "Hi Five"

I enjoyed the meeting immensely - that blinking 89 world soundtrack is still ringing in my ears.

For me the only let down was the fact that I should have run the legend in stock - not mod. Still - I think the car proved that it was more than competitive.

Cheers

Darryn

GJW
Approved Member

Post by GJW »

thanks big guy,gentleman :?: im a good actor hey.. they are surf clothes champ, dont tell me ya out of the fasion loop :lol: should come for a wave up my way one day, great for the mind and body 8)
...i thought i had a descent knowledge for R/C your in a whole other league :shock: ..your one funny bloke..i want a new comedy character prepared for our next meeting im thinking some, will ferrrell....the pleasure was all mine daz... express mail is fine for my checkpoint motor :mrgreen:
RETRO R/C wrote:Gaz,

Mate- I am dead set pleased to have met you mate - you are a gentleman and a pleasure to talk to.

.....and have a great sense of dress! :shock: :wink: ! "Hi Five"

I enjoyed the meeting immensely - that blinking 89 world soundtrack is still ringing in my ears.

For me the only let down was the fact that I should have run the legend in stock - not mod. Still - I think the car proved that it was more than competitive.

Cheers

Darryn

Bormac
Approved Member

Post by Bormac »

It was very cool to finaly get everyone together for this meeting. Its been a long time coming and the day went off brilliantly. There were some awesome buggies turning up both old and some re re's. The track was still in superb condition and the racing was a lot of fun.
Its a shame i couldn't get my Topcat to steer though....DOH!
-Jason.

Still known as- bormac

My collection-http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom.asp?id=10980

minichamps11
Approved Member

Post by minichamps11 »

Awesome looking meeting, sounds & looked like huge fun - I'm jealous :D Really enjoy the mash-up of buggy types & ages. Remembering back to when I raced in the 1990's, the meeting were all Procats & Mids with the occasional Yoke thrown in. Seeing all the vintage makes mixed up in those photos is far more interesting 8)

RETRO R/C
Approved Member

Post by RETRO R/C »

Thanks minichamps - I was beginning to wonder if there was any interest at all in this meeting! Usually there are lots of replies and questions. Maybe I have unknowingly upset the R/C Gods! :shock:

Yep - the meeting was a total blast. They did run two classes of "current" models , the rest were vintage. We did allow a couple of early 90's cars to race - however we are really trying to keep it pre 1990 model cars. We had over 40 entries - so not bad considering that the "movement" here is only just over a year old.

The big surprise for me was how brilliant the legend 4wd RC10 went......truly a revelation and caused allot of interest as people were not used to seeing a RC10 light up the front tires as well as the rears. What made it even more special was the fact that I was running modified with a 12 quin motor - the thing was BALLISTIC - however it was hard on the front driveshafts and outdrives - broke two of them - and never got a complete run in. I was on TQ for the second qualifying heat - leading by nearly half a lap when the brush hung....still managed to qualify second overall.

Cheers - hopefully more will offer up their photos as well.

Darryn