Spray Paint types for Lexan

Show off your paintwork, tips/tricks, decals, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

GreenBar0n

Re: Spray Paint types for Lexan

Post by GreenBar0n »

Bought the Chevy Marina Blue 976 aerosol spray tonight from a place that guarantees a match to the real thing, have the PS-55 Flat Clear ready to go.
https://touchupdirect.com/touch-up-paint/chevrolet/corvette/#pf-year=1967&pf-color=215638

I'll paint this in PS-55 Flat Clear tomorrow, and then wait for the 976 paint to arrive.

PS-16 Metallic Blue, with PS-41 Bright Silver backing is nice, but not what I was going for.

This could be an expensive failure, but we'll get to see how well automotive paint will both adhere, and appear, over the Tamiya Flat Clear primer.

GreenBar0n

Post by GreenBar0n »

Two good coats of PS-55 on the body and tail section.

Curious to see how PS-31 Smoke/tint will look over the PS-55, and if it will help with the runs/drips. Getting PS-31 Smoke on any other painted part of the model will discolor or bubble it, I need to be more careful this time. Hoping it sticks to the PS-55 better than it does bare lexan, as the windows are vertical when trying to paint them.

The automotive paint matching place said it could take two weeks to get the Marina Blue 976 spray can.

Dangeruss
Approved Member

Post by Dangeruss »

Wow... two weeks for a can of paint... local autobody supply stores not able to help you?

GreenBar0n

Post by GreenBar0n »

Dangeruss wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:30 pm Wow... two weeks for a can of paint... local autobody supply stores not able to help you?
Not a definite two week wait, it just could take two weeks to get here. Went with the most reputable place I can find, don't feel like going back and forth with some of these local places, just want it right the first time.

I'm less than 3 hours from Amain, in Chico CA, I ordered a can of TS-15 spray Sunday, and it will take about 3-4 days to get here, because paint is flammable and has to be ground shipped, all aerosol paint does now. That's what takes me so long to get things painted.

mikea96
Approved Member

Post by mikea96 »

Just curious who you ordered it from?

GreenBar0n

Post by GreenBar0n »

I went with these guys:
https://touchupdirect.com/

mikea96
Approved Member

Post by mikea96 »

I was just curious because when I ordered paint from automotive touchup for my truck fender flares they said 2-3 weeks and it was 2 months.

GreenBar0n

Post by GreenBar0n »

mikea96 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:36 am I was just curious because when I ordered paint from automotive touchup for my truck fender flares they said 2-3 weeks and it was 2 months.
That is a serious wait! I thought I had it bad, I would have been bitter about that, 2 months??!

I was going to try this Amazon brand, but went with the other instead.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YRNG8XT

I will be brutally honest about everything, no matter how bad or foolish it may make me look.

Dangeruss
Approved Member

Post by Dangeruss »

Paint getting ground shipped from A-Main I can understand, it's the Marina Blue that's boggling... going to an autobody supply store, giving them the paint code, they mix it on the spot, $12-ish bucks a can and a few minutes waiting, that sounds logical. Waiting weeks (or months, in mikea96's case?) is mystifying.

Not questioning your decisions and certainly not trying to make you look foolish. Just being curious.

Remember when you could go to any auto parts or hobby store and it was a rainbow wall of paint cans from half a dozen companies? What happen to those days? :lol:

mikea96
Approved Member

Post by mikea96 »

I was going to use my local westco auto body supply shop but there machine or something was broke and they didn't know when it would be repaired.

GreenBar0n

Post by GreenBar0n »

Dangeruss wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:51 pm Paint getting ground shipped from A-Main I can understand, it's the Marina Blue that's boggling... going to an autobody supply store, giving them the paint code, they mix it on the spot, $12-ish bucks a can and a few minutes waiting, that sounds logical. Waiting weeks (or months, in mikea96's case?) is mystifying.

Not questioning your decisions and certainly not trying to make you look foolish. Just being curious.

Remember when you could go to any auto parts or hobby store and it was a rainbow wall of paint cans from half a dozen companies? What happen to those days? :lol:
In California, everything causes cancer and global warming, and I need an aerosol spray can of a color that is somewhat rare, harder to find a quality local store that's capable of that request, the aerosol being the biggest challenge.

Also got the clear coat spray for that kit, so I can use this on the real thing in a few spots, hopefully. Curious to see if the new 976 paint will match what's on there. I know the real one had been repainted, but I'm not sure if it's lacquer or dual stage.

My Bus is still single stage original nitro lacquer paint, so I am familiar with the difference.

But not sure about the vette, or if I went to all this costly trouble to match an off, or completely different color. The original tag says 976. Prepare your funny bones :lol:.

Looks more Marina Blue Metallic in the sun, not as much under fluorescent.

Dangeruss
Approved Member

Post by Dangeruss »

mikea96 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:55 pm I was going to use my local westco auto body supply shop but there machine or something was broke and they didn't know when it would be repaired.
Ah, gotcha, you were looking at a wait either way. Bummer.

Based on the Prop 65 stickers on everything these days it would seem so ...but I'll leave the thoughts on California's legislation for the "Things That Irritate You" thread. :lol:

I agree though, seeing how the paint you ordered matches up to your 'Vette's paint should be neat.

Speaking of paint codes... ever see the movie 976-EVIL... just sayin' :P

GreenBar0n

Post by GreenBar0n »

Dangeruss wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:43 pm
mikea96 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:55 pm I was going to use my local westco auto body supply shop but there machine or something was broke and they didn't know when it would be repaired.
Ah, gotcha, you were looking at a wait either way. Bummer.

Based on the Prop 65 stickers on everything these days it would seem so ...but I'll leave the thoughts on California's legislation for the "Things That Irritate You" thread. :lol:

I agree though, seeing how the paint you ordered matches up to your 'Vette's paint should be neat.

Speaking of paint codes... ever see the movie 976-EVIL... just sayin' :P
Turns out the place I ordered the paint from, is in Chino California. :D Should get here sooner, in that case.

I've not seen 976-EVIL yet, that and the one with the Monster Bus/Van, are going on my 'to view' list :D.

I'm guessing the paint on that vette currently, won't be accurate to 976, just my guess, but my Stepfather had a local Corvette club president - or some such title - do the paint job (this was over 10 years ago and my Mom has no idea about any of this). There are bubbles near the emblem on the front of the white stinger, making me think the paint job wasn't great to begin with, so I won't be surprised to find the color is off.

My Mom was never able to drive that vette, there's no power anything on that model, and the clutch is ridiculously heavy, as are the brakes and steering, so it just sits in her garage. With my Stepfather gone, she'll most likely sell this when the time comes, that's why I'm making this tribute RC to it, as a keepsake, and for her to get to drive the RC version because she can't drive the real one. She just turned 73 and is looking forward to the RC vette when it's done, this will be the first RC car she has ever driven. :D

GreenBar0n

Post by GreenBar0n »

11 days later, the 976 Marina Blue Metallic arrived from TouchUpDirect, that's a 10oz can.

No flash.

Flash

Will get this sprayed on the HPI body tomorrow, and then go hold it next to the real thing on Friday or Saturday when I get over there.

GreenBar0n

Post by GreenBar0n »

The moment of truth is 45 minutes away, the sun is just about where it needs to be, and there is no wind today.

Not sure how well it will stick to the PS-55, or how this will look when sprayed on lexan.

We're about to find out. This was a pretty big expense for a paint job, $60 for the 976 Marina Blue Metallic paint, $40 for the HPI body, $12 for the Tamiya PS-55. If my time is worth anything, that cost exceeds the parts at this point. Going to feel pretty stupid if this doesn't turn out. :D

Be back in an hour or so with results.