The RC10 that started it all for me.

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

The RC10 that started it all for me.

Post by MelvinsArmy »

Some of you that have been on RC10talk from the beginning might remember this car. I bought this car about 10 years or so ago off ebay. This is my RC10, the car that started this whole vintage thing for me. I don't think it would be too much of a stretch to say this car is partially responsible for this message board. It re-ignighted my love of vintage (or back then, just "old) radio control cars and eventually helped lead me and Hoopty to bug Bill to make us an RC10 board. It has since been through a few small changes. When I first got it I really didn't have any concept of "shelf queen" and I ran the car, with different tires of course. At the time you could still get a lot of replacement parts from AE or Tower. After dedicating the car to the shelf I changed a couple slightly worn parts for new pieces. As it sits now it is in new-built condition. A couple years ago I gave it a new body, which I don't think I've ever photographed until now. Still based on Harry Gant's 1980s Winston Cup cars.

This buggy is pretty much totally stock except for the aluminum outer wheel halves. I've got the resistor speed control for it, but I installed a Novak T4 in instead, as well as a Novak receiver. I was going for a very basic, reliable, simple RC10 as maybe a first time racer would have built in the mid 1980s, with some cool aluminum outers. The cool hop ups would have started after a few races. Well, that's the story I've got in my head for this car. :D Anyway, enough blathering, here it is. Nothing crazy or out of the ordinary, just a nice vintage RC10 that I've had forever and plan to keep having forever. I got a new camera so I thought I'd take some updated photos of the old girl. 8)
RC10-2.jpg
RC10-1.jpg
RC10-4.jpg
RC10-3.jpg

Synergy
Approved Member

Re: The RC10 that started it all for me.

Post by Synergy »

It's a thing of beauty and just how an original RC10 should be, simple and to the point, I love it :!:
Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Here's my TC Showroom
http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom.asp?id=18028

SteveK
Approved Member

Post by SteveK »

I always loved the way the chassis looks with the battery running sideways and an ESC tucked in behind it.

There is just so much room on that chassis, and it's so well protected, just want to fill the area with all kinds of stuff. I had a little toy snap-lid box filled with Allen keys and body clips stuck in there at one point. This was before the molded tool set; now you'd have everything but a set of pliers to rebuild the truck in the field.

m_vice
Approved Member

Post by m_vice »

That's nice... very cool. This is getting me exited to go build my old RC10 that I have in parts.
definitely a good example of and old racer. :D

Diggley
Approved Member

Post by Diggley »

Synergy wrote:It's a thing of beauty and just how an original RC10 should be, simple and to the point, I love it :!:

X2
:D
Projects and shelfers:
Late Edinger, RC10B2, Dual Sport, GT, Kyosho Turbo Ultima, Triumph, Tamiya Sand Scorcher, Blackfoot/Monster Beetle, '67 Beetle, Nikko Rhino, Traxxas Fiero, Slash, Hand-built Dune Buggy..all on here somewhere...

bearrickster
Approved Member

Post by bearrickster »

[quote="MelvinsArmy"] Still based on Harry Gant's 1980s Winston Cup cars.

Thats really cool he is a very cool guy. I got to meet him at the 1981 Daytona 500 I sat with his family on top of his motor home. and hung out with them all weekend. I was just 14. my father had just dyed Jan 1st of that year so I really didnt grasp the hole concept of the guys I met. My Uncle was a crew cheif for David Sysco back in the early days, he has a lot of cool stories. I got to meet a lot of the Drivers like Kyle petty and Davie Allison.
LOSI RULES!!

Bearrickster's Rides
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=16714

dldiaz

Post by dldiaz »

Synergy wrote:It's a thing of beauty and just how an original RC10 should be, simple and to the point, I love it :!:
x3

I really enjoy the "real thing", if you will...
and, although I will not make it to the VONats for a couple years yet, I do hope they will define a class where this model would be competitive.
((I do not mean to derail this thread))

-cheers
-dldiaz

Brandon G
Approved Member

Post by Brandon G »

Nice buggy Scott. While it is interesting to see the extreme builds, it is nice to see this RC10 pretty much stock with something other than boxart paint. Well done.

I personally like the ground level shot of the rear end of the buggy. Sweet. :D

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

Thanks guys. 8)

Rick, I've heard that he's a heck of a nice guy. He sure comes off that way in the interviews I've seen with him. That's cool you got to hang out with him and the others.

Thanks Brandon. I like box art cars and all, but their recent popularity surprises me. Up until about two or three years ago the only box art RC10 I had ever seen was on the RC10 box. :lol: I do have a couple Tamiyas done up as box art cars, but I wanted to do an RC10 they way Joe Blow (or myself) would have done it back in the day. Make a car that was simple and true to the way someone would have built a new kit, radio and esc combo they brought home from the hobby shop in the mid 80s.

Zipster
Approved Member

Post by Zipster »

I hear that! I've gathered up parts with the original intent of building a box art car, but then looking at how far some of the guys have taken them - I just realized that I would just have ended up building a mediocre copy.

Your car is now officially my inspiration - a few more pieces, deciding on a paint scheme, and I'm off and running :D It'll be the RC10 the way I would have built it out of the box (with a better paintjob hopefully :lol: ).

Thanks for inspiring me!