Help Please and Identify

Need something identified? This is the place.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

lexus-5
Approved Member

Help Please and Identify

Post by lexus-5 »

Remember it's either a runner or a shelfer. Everything else is just parts.

Check out my Gallery for more Collection Pictures http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=20697

lexus-5
Approved Member

Re: Help Please and Identify

Post by lexus-5 »

Thank you Mikedealer....Nitro Hawk it is!

Check out my Gallery for more Collection Pictures http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=20697

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

actually its a nitro buggy and it looks like it had little to no run time for a nitro buggy. Usually the chassis is bent just in front of the motor mount plate (where it rubbed the anodizing off). It didn't take much to bend them there for the weight of these were pretty impressive.
Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

is that front bulkhead the same as a trx1? (aside of being black)

civilguy
Approved Member

Post by civilguy »

The front suspension looks just like my Rad2 (again, except black). I still can't believe how many parts Traxxas has shared between models. :shock:
The preceding contained opinions, beliefs and thoughts that all may not agree with. No offense was intended at any point. Carry on.
Jeff

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

Most brands with several models do this kind of thing: especially Tamiya and kyosho are good examples. It certainly safves a lot in tooling and diversity helps selling but diversity is easy and cheap to create with more visual elements like different shells and names, paintschemes...
I was wondering about the front bulkhead because like the trx-1 it bolts down on a kicked up flat chassis

civilguy
Approved Member

Post by civilguy »

Mr. ED wrote:Most brands with several models do this kind of thing: especially Tamiya and kyosho are good examples. It certainly safves a lot in tooling and diversity helps selling but diversity is easy and cheap to create with more visual elements like different shells and names, paintschemes...
I was wondering about the front bulkhead because like the trx-1 it bolts down on a kicked up flat chassis
Rad2 bolts on a kicked-up chassis too. Traxxas online parts lists have both the Nitro Hawk and the TRX-1 using 2731 front bulkhead and 1931 front arms.

As far as the multi-model parts, I got out of rc in about 1987. There wasn't really enough iterations of new models yet for that much cross-breeding. ;)
The preceding contained opinions, beliefs and thoughts that all may not agree with. No offense was intended at any point. Carry on.
Jeff

lexus-5
Approved Member

Post by lexus-5 »

Thanks for all the comments! Keep an eye on Ebay cause I'm listing this badboy tonight as a parts car and it's outta here!

harry697
Approved Member

Post by harry697 »

klavy69 wrote:actually its a nitro buggy and it looks like it had little to no run time for a nitro buggy. Usually the chassis is bent just in front of the motor mount plate (where it rubbed the anodizing off). It didn't take much to bend them there for the weight of these were pretty impressive.
Todd
Is there anything in those pics aside from the wing mounts that distinguish the buggy from the Hawk or Street versions?

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

lexus-5 wrote:Thanks for all the comments! Keep an eye on Ebay cause I'm listing this badboy tonight as a parts car and it's outta here!
drop us a line in the ebay section with its link and it will pry end up somewhere in ILL. :mrgreen:
harry697 wrote: Is there anything in those pics aside from the wing mounts that distinguish the buggy from the Hawk or Street versions?
The tranny on your nitrohawk has an aluiminum plate that straddles under most of the tranny and part of the motor mount for stiffness. What it actually did was give an extra edge for chassis to bend around when you hit hard on the front end bending it right in front of the stiffener corner. Thats about it though. The NitroHawk, NitroBuggy, and NitroStreet had very little differences besides the obvious wheel/body/bodymounts. These things are a menace on a dirt oval. A stock nitrohawk you can pretty much get it pointed in the approx. direction and hammer it. It went where it was pointed...unless you put an OS 18cvr in it. Then it gets a little bit harder to control :wink:
Todd

p.s. I haven't forgotten about your parts Sam :oops:
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

lexus-5
Approved Member

Post by lexus-5 »

klavy69 wrote:
lexus-5 wrote:Thanks for all the comments! Keep an eye on Ebay cause I'm listing this badboy tonight as a parts car and it's outta here!
drop us a line in the ebay section with its link and it will pry end up somewhere in ILL. :mrgreen:
harry697 wrote:
Check the link out in the EasyBay section, thanks
Is there anything in those pics aside from the wing mounts that distinguish the buggy from the Hawk or Street versions?
The tranny on your nitrohawk has an aluiminum plate that straddles under most of the tranny and part of the motor mount for stiffness. What it actually did was give an extra edge for chassis to bend around when you hit hard on the front end bending it right in front of the stiffener corner. Thats about it though. The NitroHawk, NitroBuggy, and NitroStreet had very little differences besides the obvious wheel/body/bodymounts. These things are a menace on a dirt oval. A stock nitrohawk you can pretty much get it pointed in the approx. direction and hammer it. It went where it was pointed...unless you put an OS 18cvr in it. Then it gets a little bit harder to control :wink:
Todd

p.s. I haven't forgotten about your parts Sam :oops:

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

civilguy wrote:
As far as the multi-model parts, I got out of rc in about 1987. There wasn't really enough iterations of new models yet for that much cross-breeding. ;)
Kyosho already had the tomahawk, beetle, scorpion, assault, and (oops forgot the name) sharing chassis parts and suspension before 87.
Tamiya had the grasshopper and hornet for example. Just different marketing from associated who had eveloutions of the same buggy and held on to the strength of the RC10 name

civilguy
Approved Member

Post by civilguy »

Mr. ED wrote:Kyosho already had the tomahawk, beetle, scorpion, assault, and (oops forgot the name) sharing chassis parts and suspension before 87.
Kyosho? Who had Kyoshos? :wink: Seriously though, those are nitros, right? Either way, I think one hobby shop within driving distance of me carried any Kyosho products in the mid-80s. That would just be a regional thing in my case.
Mr. ED wrote:Tamiya had the grasshopper and hornet for example.
But the Hornet had that completely different rear suspension. :lol:

Seriously though, my point was that the parts on some of Traxxas' early buggys were used right up into this century. I guess I was referring more to the longevity of their parts than the actual cross-model use. Idler gear 1996 has been used for 20+ years. :D
Jeff

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

They were electric and gas models using the same suspension and most chassis parts.
I understand your point though. To me it is a smart practise with benefits to Traxxas , salespoints and drivers; as long as the part is good.