Marui Galaxy Rebuild - Finished!

The place for all things Marui.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Re: Marui Galaxy Rebuild

Post by Coelacanth »

Here's a pic from the manual showing where the driver doll mounts relative to the rear cover & MSC hole. Thanks though, you gave me the idea to block off that hole with a piece of Lexan. Fortunately, everything in the motor & gearbox area there is sealed off, but without the MSC installed in there, it just looks kind of weird & empty. :) The only thing I have in that section are the motor & battery connector leads.

My bro's birthday is Feb. 2, the only thing I'm waiting on is a charger & battery that will soon be delivered. In the meantime, I'll test the electronics with my own batteries and hopefully find a place to test-drive it. Even if my bro doesn't end up driving it, it'll look great if he wants to display it. :)
Attachments
DriverManual.jpg
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

Doomed
Approved Member

Post by Doomed »

Coelacanth wrote:I could've bought a brand new one from that guy who has the garage full of Marui parts, but decided not to.
Was there a thread about this? And you did a great job on the Galaxy!

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Doomed wrote:
Coelacanth wrote:I could've bought a brand new one from that guy who has the garage full of Marui parts, but decided not to.
Was there a thread about this? And you did a great job on the Galaxy!
Yes, and thanks!

http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=18696
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Wing painted

Post by Coelacanth »

I got the painting finished on the wing tonight. Got a chance to test my new mini paint booth, it worked beautifully! I apologize for the lack of creativity, just some striping. I'm not really big on wild graphics, I guess. :? The color combo I went with was metallic black, metallic blue, sky blue pearl in the middle, and silver accents/final coat.
Attachments
Wing1.jpg
Wing2.jpg

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Re: Marui Galaxy Rebuild - Finished!

Post by Coelacanth »

My bro's Galaxy is finished! I fabricated a window to cover the rectangular opening in the rear chassis cover where the manual speed controller used to be. I did it just to keep dust from accumulating in there, even though the only thing located there are some wires. Thanks to Mr. ED for giving me the idea to cover it up. :)

I basically just cut 3 strips of Lexan and glued them to the underside of the cover with Goop. I then masked off the thin lines where adjacent Lexan strips met, and Gooped that, too.

Here are before/after pics. What do you guys think?
Attachments
Before
Before
After
After
Lexan window
Lexan window

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

A few more photos of the finished Galaxy. The Kyosho Le Mans 360ST I'd planned to use turned out to be dead, so I installed a 480 Gold I rebuilt a while ago.
Attachments
GalaxyDone2.jpg
GalaxyDone3.jpg
GalaxyDone4.jpg

maruirc

Post by maruirc »

Any motor faster that the stock motor is going to eat up the idler gear. I tried a 480G. The motor is better for the marui 4wd buggies. The fine teeth on the galay are too fragile. :) With the bigger tires the gears won't last long with that combo.

I will keep my stock-origional except for adding bearings and a esc. It has plenty of speed with a new battery. :)

nvxwax
Approved Member

Post by nvxwax »

Very nice, It turned out great

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

maruirc wrote:Any motor faster that the stock motor is going to eat up the idler gear. I tried a 480G. The motor is better for the marui 4wd buggies. The fine teeth on the galay are too fragile. :) With the bigger tires the gears won't last long with that combo.

I will keep my stock-origional except for adding bearings and a esc. It has plenty of speed with a new battery. :)
Actually, with the bigger tires, all else being equal, the acceleration will be slower. If anything, that should put less stress on the gearing, not more. As long as the motor doesn't get too hot, that is. Doing some basic tests in my house on carpet, it didn't have enough punch off the line to do wheelies, which is a good thing. If it did wheelies, I'd be concerned about the gears. ;) Unfortunately there's snow on the ground everywhere so I don't have a place to do some proper testing, but my early indications are that this should work fine. The bigger diameter tires should offset the extra punch of the 480 Gold nicely. (Remember, you like everything stock, and you kept your tires and everything else stock when you tried a 480G.) ;)

Thanks for the comments guys! I can't wait to deliver this and see my brother's face when he opens the box!

maruirc

Post by maruirc »

Bigger tires and a faster motor with a smaller pinion will put more stress on the plastic idler gear as will the larger tires. You have less start torque but at higher speeds the Idler gear won't handle the bigger tires. Any faster more than a 27t motor is bad for the Idler gear. Ive allready tried it. The stock gearing and setup won't handle it very long. SO your conclusion is even worse. The only way it would be better is if you ran the stock wheels. I can't figure out why you put 4x4 traction tires on the front opf a 2 wd buggy for steering. You won't geat any traction from them. :?: You will actually get more steering problems. :?: BUT live and learn.

peetbee
Approved Member

Post by peetbee »

Looks nice :D

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

maruirc wrote:Bigger tires and a faster motor with a smaller pinion will put more stress on the plastic idler gear as will the larger tires. You have less start torque but at higher speeds the Idler gear won't handle the bigger tires. Any faster more than a 27t motor is bad for the Idler gear. Ive allready tried it. The stock gearing and setup won't handle it very long. SO your conclusion is even worse. The only way it would be better is if you ran the stock wheels. I can't figure out why you put 4x4 traction tires on the front opf a 2 wd buggy for steering. You won't geat any traction from them. :?: You will actually get more steering problems. :?: BUT live and learn.
Whatever. As far as the "4x4 traction tires" on the front, those are FWD tires, not 4x4 tires. Most of the winning RWD car pics I've seen are using spike front tires, so...they must be using 'em for a reason. ;)

We have different ideologies about what we want from our Marui. Keep yours stock, I'll improve mine. I appreciate your comments just the same. :)

EDIT: Speaking of which, I wonder why you're so inclined to crap on my thread? Let's see some pics of your Hunter, maybe.

Claymore5150
Approved Member

Post by Claymore5150 »

LOVE what you have done with your brother's Galaxy! One of my best friends back in the day had one and I had an MRC Rockbuster and he used to eat my lunch with his Galaxy.

I always kinda liked the driver in there though...gave it that "scale racer" look that most of the 2wd buggies just didn't have.

Rear wing works PERFECT with the roll cage. I doubt you could have done much better with the color choices.

Awesome rebuild!!!!!!!!!
Kudos.
Itchy Trigger Finger and RC Throttle Junkie
R.O.C.C.K. Proud Member
B.B.R.C. Proud Member

94CErunner/T2runner/2wd Slash LCG/

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Thanks very much, Claymore!

Hcp22
Approved Member

Post by Hcp22 »

The car looks relay god! So call me a purist, but I think that this car should have a driver! 8)
Cheers
Lars

My Feedback