1/10 Scale On-Road - Chassis Options in 2024

For all things R/C, post '90s to today.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

GreenBar0n

Re: 1/10 Scale On-Road - Chassis Options in 2024

Post by GreenBar0n »

Went ahead and ordered the FZ02S chassis and short aluminum drive shaft for the Kyosho Fazer MK2. There are very few 200mm width bodies with longer than a 10 1/2" wheelbase, though a majority of the Kyosho bodies are for the FZ02L.

The Team Associated Apex2, the non Sport version, comes with the Hoonitruck body, and comes with bearings and stiffer drive train and axles, much better than the Sport version apparently. Used for $200 + $20 shipping, looking to pick one of those up before they disappear.

GreenBar0n

Post by GreenBar0n »

Got some wheel options for the FZ02. HPI black, HPI matte chrome, and the included 5-slot chrome wheels.
That's Alclad II in the spray can, thinking about making those black rims, chrome.

The little disc brake rotors which are non-functional, except to adapt the wheels from 190mm to 200mm.

Stock Kyosho wheels without the knock offs, if I run them like this, I'll replace the black screws that hold the wheel on in the center, with stainless or chrome, these really look like Chevy rally wheels without the knock offs on them.

Black HPI wheels, 26mm front, 31mm rear, may try the chrome spray on these.

Matte chrome HPI, 26mm front, 31mm rear.

The Tx on this Kyosho kit is really good, can't get over how nice it is, not even for just the price, it's perfect to be able to turn down the max. throttle so it goes pretty slow, and hand it to someone who's new or not experienced for them to enjoy too.

Got the short drive shaft yesterday, the FZ02S short chassis will be here tomorrow, then I can fit the '67 vette body finally. Be back tomorrow with the results.

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

I could not agree more.
Kyosho's electrics in general, and their Tx's in particular, are the best of any RTR I own. A+
Doug

GreenBar0n

Post by GreenBar0n »

FZ02S chassis and FZ02 aluminum shaft.

Fairly easy to disassemble and replace parts.

Body fits now.

Will mount all the electronics, then figure out what wheels to go with.

Dangeruss
Approved Member

Post by Dangeruss »

Car is lookin' good. Especially from that low 3/4 view. 👌

Hard choice on the wheels... I dig the Torq Thrusts with the darker blue. Lets the Rallys go on your tribute car to match the original.

Looking at the screwhead on the Rallys, wondering if the wheels were painted black and chrome screw caps were popped on if it wouldn't look like a steel wheel with poverty caps... not for this car, obviously... but could look cool if someone were building a super stock drag car... Thinking out loud again, don't mind me. 🙃

GreenBar0n

Post by GreenBar0n »

Dangeruss wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:45 pm Car is lookin' good. Especially from that low 3/4 view. 👌

Hard choice on the wheels... I dig the Torq Thrusts with the darker blue. Lets the Rallys go on your tribute car to match the original.

Looking at the screwhead on the Rallys, wondering if the wheels were painted black and chrome screw caps were popped on if it wouldn't look like a steel wheel with poverty caps... not for this car, obviously... but could look cool if someone were building a super stock drag car... Thinking out loud again, don't mind me. 🙃
Thanks! Was thinking the same about saving the stock wheels for the tribute.

The screws are M4x22mm that hold the wheels on, need to get stainless or chrome for these with no knockoffs.

The Kyosho FZ02L Mercedes 300sel has these same wheels, but with the chrome/silver screws, the screws can look like caps:

Here's all the FZ02L stuff that's not used for the FZ02S short chassis, quite a bit.

Wires and routing setup.

The HPI black wheels.

HPI matte chrome, definitely my favorite for this body.

GreenBar0n

Post by GreenBar0n »

Ordered the silver M4 wheel screws today. With the 200mm wide body disc adapters, the correct wheel screws are M4 x 16mm, with the 190mm discs the screws are M4 X 22mm.

Also have a magnetic body post kit coming, these magnets are a bit weak but might be ok for on-road, wouldn't work for off-road.

GreenBar0n

Post by GreenBar0n »

Got the M4 stainless screw kit today.

Silver screws are better for these wheels.

Closer to the Rally wheels I was looking for.

Got the magnetic body post kit today, one of the body side magnets broke so they're sending another set.

By removing the collar on the rear post set, and using the shorter rear posts in the front:

Everything is low enough to look correct.

Will figure out a way to hide/disguise the magnets in the rear window.

The body can still go lower in the front, but the rear is as low as it can go.

When the replacement post kit gets here, I'll set the body/ride height, and go drive this.

GreenBar0n

Post by GreenBar0n »

Was able to get one of the Team Associated Apex2 Hoonitrucks, with the shorty battery and charger for $230 barely used, from the Team Associated Clearance sale on eBay. With the battery and charger these are regularly $400.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/364757333830

The Hoonitruck Apex2 non-sport has full bearings and full metal drive train, except for plastic center drive cups, whereas the Sport model has bushings and plastic.

Going to put the hoonitruck body away NOS, and use the wheels and vette body from above on this chassis instead.

The Kyosho chassis and rally wheels will be for the tribute vette that's coming up next. This TA Apex2 is going to get driven most often.

GreenBar0n

Post by GreenBar0n »

Got the Team Associated Apex2 Hoonitruck today.

It was still sealed, never opened. The Team Associated Clearance seller on eBay is selling damaged box items at nearly half-off.

The outside of my box was a bit damaged, and the car broke off the bottom in one spot.

No damage anywhere to be found.

Completely RTR. Only (4) AA batteries required for Tx.

Charger can do LiFe also.

Like the Kyosho, the TA Tx can also easily reduce the top speed, or max throttle, for forward and reverse, with only one dial, and it goes really slow at the lowest setting, like indoor speeds on 2S LiPo. I love this throttle dial for when someone wants to drive my RC that isn't experienced, I don't have to worry.

The full metal drive train and bearings feel really smooth, better than the Kyosho FZ02 does.

Here's the Kyosho FZ02 next to the Team Associated Apex2 non-Sport:

While I think the Kyosho looks better, the Apex2 drive train and shocks are much smoother, and the Apex2 chassis is stiffer, the Apex2 feels more hobby grade than toy grade. Really stoked to have both, they make excellent platforms for custom bodies. The bodies they came with are pretty great too.

IMHO, the TA Apex2 non-Sport is definitely worth $230 with the LiPo and charger, this would make a great first on-road car for anyone.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/364757333830

GreenBar0n

Post by GreenBar0n »

The Apex2 allows for the body to sit lower than the FZ02 did. I wanted to go lower in the rear and the Apex2 is perfect for that.

Dangeruss
Approved Member

Post by Dangeruss »

Sweet gear.

Looks like the Associated chassis' rear body mount will allow for easier rearward extension to get the mounts under the body instead of the window like on the Kyosho.

How'd the Hoonitruck body look on your USA-1? :D

GreenBar0n

Post by GreenBar0n »

Thanks! The body mounts on the Apex2 would definitely accommodate more body choices, for custom stuff.

I had to try it after you mentioned it :lol:

Figured why not try on the matching wheels too.

Not terrible, starting to like it. :D

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

This seems like it should be a character in Cars
1000009785.png
Frankensteined RC10T3 / Franky Jr RC10GT-e (x2) / A+ stamp / Toy Story RC / Graphite replica / B1.5 BFG 5LTi / Clonewald / Hyper Hornet

"I love the effort, but it sure looks like you took the long way around to a tub again"

GreenBar0n

Post by GreenBar0n »

Now you have me considering a Monster Fillmore Bus-truck.