Dadio's 3D Printing Stuff

The place to be for printing in 3D.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

silvertriple
Approved Member

Re: Dadio's 3D Printing Stuff

Post by silvertriple »

Dadio wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:47 pm Really chuffed with how these came out , gears A,B and C for the Tamiya Holiday Buggy / Sand Rover , printed in PA12 CF fill Nylon .
20230127_193903.jpg
20230127_193918.jpg
The genuine ones I have are old and a little worn so these will get an old gal rollin again .
Which nozzle you used?
I'd like to test print the Big Bear gears but I'm not sure how... 0.4mm nozzle maybe too big for this, although it may be enough for a test print...
I buy kits to build and ru(i)n them :-)

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

They are printed with a 0.4 nozzle but using a little used setting in Cura , under Experimental settings you will find " slicing tolerance" , set this to "exclusive " . The nozzle itself is an E3d hardened nozzle .
The slicing tolerance setting has three settings that adapt to the stepped layer effect , default is middle so one edge of the layer is inside the design size and the other outside so on average it is the size of the design , the Exclusive setting makes it all fit within the design size but some of it will be smaller , or you can go inclusive so one edge is at the design size but the rest is larger , all this has effects on clearance between gears .
The other thing is a setting in the gear generator in Fusion , you need to go for a pressure angle of 24° .
With these settings you stand a good chance but lastly measure the diameter of the gear you are copying and compare it to the size that fusion comes up with , you may have to scale it to get the right diameter .
Hope all that makes sense , it's the product of a LOT of trial and error printing gears , also use a material that has minimal shrinkage , CF fill filaments have minimal shrinkage or PLA but PLA needs good lubrication or they soften as they heat up .
If a jobs not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

silvertriple
Approved Member

Post by silvertriple »

Thanks for this, @Dadio...
Looking at the gears I got printed for the Hunter and the Nichimo, they all worked straight out of Fusion, printed in SLS or MJF, but this is not exactly the same... And for what I intend to do : i'll print in PLA because of the low shrinkage as the target is only dimensional testing to validate they are rights. I have a small doubt on one of the measurements, and I need to check otherwise I can't say they work...

Steve71
Approved Member

Post by Steve71 »

Dadio wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 4:14 pm They are printed with a 0.4 nozzle but using a little used setting in Cura

Which version of Cura do you use Dadio's? I have been using 4.8.0 for the past couple yrs but just downloaded the latest one onto my laptop last week... 5.2 I think it is? I haven't had a chance to mess with the new version yet though, so wondered how the newer versions compared / differed from the older one I'm currently using.

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

Steve71 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:39 pm
Dadio wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 4:14 pm They are printed with a 0.4 nozzle but using a little used setting in Cura

Which version of Cura do you use Dadio's? I have been using 4.8.0 for the past couple yrs but just downloaded the latest one onto my laptop last week... 5.2 I think it is? I haven't had a chance to mess with the new version yet though, so wondered how the newer versions compared / differed from the older one I'm currently using.
I'm either on 5.1 of 5.2 can't remember but either way it's the "new" Cura , it's a noticeable improvement on the older versions , it does print faster and I think I can see a positive improvement in surface quality too .
I'm always a little wary of "new" software of any type and prefer to sit back and let others be the guinea pigs so I waited a month or so before I installed it but it seems all good .
Try the "lightning infill " that really saves time .
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

Steve71
Approved Member

Post by Steve71 »

Cool that's great to hear. I saw a few things online where people were mentioning that new lightning infill, and how it was a good addition to the slicer. I will definitely give that a shot. Thanks.

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

I did a life size bust of my daughters head and the lightning infill saved hours :!:

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

Remodelled the Holiday Buggy gears to fit 8x4x3 bearings , stock they just run naked on the 4mm shaft without even bushings , both gears now need a spacer as well now , I'll get a set pro printed next month to check the model then add them to my shop .
20230129_121728.jpg
20230129_121841.jpg

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

Another Holiday Buggy / Sand Rover part , this time the lower gearbox and suspension mount , fits perfectly .
20230131_181150.jpg
20230131_181209.jpg

Steve71
Approved Member

Post by Steve71 »

Dadio wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:53 pm I did a life size bust of my daughters head and the lightning infill saved hours :!:
I have been trying out that lightning infill the past couple days on my latest prints. Seems pretty neat. Kind of funny because when you first look at the infill as its starting it almost looks like there's hardly any infill and you start wondering if there will even be enough to support the outer layers. Then as it progresses it fills in where it needs too. I think I'm liking it so far.

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

Steve71 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:17 pm
Dadio wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:53 pm I did a life size bust of my daughters head and the lightning infill saved hours :!:
I have been trying out that lightning infill the past couple days on my latest prints. Seems pretty neat. Kind of funny because when you first look at the infill as its starting it almost looks like there's hardly any infill and you start wondering if there will even be enough to support the outer layers. Then as it progresses it fills in where it needs too. I think I'm liking it so far.
Yea it's worrying when you first try it and it does not add the same structural strength as regular infill but it really does save time and plastic .

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

Full Holiday Buggy gearbox and gears , tried a render , needs better lighting .
chassis v25.png
chassis v25 1.png
chassis v25 2.png

silvertriple
Approved Member

Post by silvertriple »

Dadio wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:36 am Full Holiday Buggy gearbox and gears , tried a render , needs better lighting .
chassis v25.png
chassis v25 1.png
chassis v25 2.png
Are you going to do a modernized version of the Holiday buggy chassis? :-)

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

silvertriple wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:00 pm
Dadio wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:36 am Full Holiday Buggy gearbox and gears , tried a render , needs better lighting .
chassis v25.pngchassis v25 1.pngchassis v25 2.png
No Tamiya already did a re-chassis although I may do some mods to have oil shocks , this mostly started to be able to supply replacement gears so people could get them going again , I'll design a gear cover as well as the lack of a closed gearbox was the cause of needing gears :roll: , not really sure why I'm modelling other parts as this is probably the least loved of all Tamiya cars , it takes a few minutes to find any reference to the old version even on TamiyaClub Forum :lol: anyway I just finished the rear arm model , its not handed so I didn't even have to mirror it .
chassis v27.png
chassis v27 1.png

silvertriple
Approved Member

Post by silvertriple »

Dadio wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:18 pm
silvertriple wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:00 pm
chassis v25.pngchassis v25 1.pngchassis v25 2.png
No Tamiya already did a re-chassis although I may do some mods to have oil shocks , this mostly started to be able to supply replacement gears so people could get them going again , I'll design a gear cover as well as the lack of a closed gearbox was the cause of needing gears :roll: , not really sure why I'm modelling other parts as this is probably the least loved of all Tamiya cars , it takes a few minutes to find any reference to the old version even on TamiyaClub Forum :lol: anyway I just finished the rear arm model , its not handed so I didn't even have to mirror it .
chassis v27.pngchassis v27 1.png
The thing is lot of people complain about 2 things regarding the re-release : the DT02 chassis required to do some cutouts of the bodyshell because of the shock towers, which are not so nice, and the arms of the DT02 chassis are far too wide for the bodyshell... And for the rest : initially it was mostly a 380 based car, event if there was "Off-road high performance car" marked on the chassis (which is by the way marked on every single Tamiya box, even for the Grasshopper)... Maybe time to make it a real high performance offroad car :-)