My Ultima 2019

The place for all things re-release Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

coxbros1

Re: My Ultima 2019

Post by coxbros1 »

I concur
Tap pic for clarity: Derek

Biz73
Approved Member

Post by Biz73 »

That's funny. I think Tamiya needs to do it more like Kyosho and make their re-issues drivable.

I thought about getting an o-ring for the bottom gasket, but I hadn't even thought of making a channel for it to sit in. Great work.

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

coxbros wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:39 pm Here is my opinion of this re released car after building it. It was my 1st car i raced in 1987 and i am not a fan if this one. The tires are terribly small, nothing like original. Rear shocks work awsome with my mod but do not fit look of original at all, way too tall. HATE shock towers. Rear motor gaurd doesnt look authentic, needs to be way darker. I am going to replace everything listed above with original stuff. Kyosho needs to do more like tamiya with rere kits abd stay closer to original.

Well, the good news here is that vintage Ultima parts (i.e. motor guard, shocks, shock towers, tires, etc.) will fit the re-release.

From my limited experience with Tamiya products, if the original car had reliability or performance problems then the re-release will also have those same problems. Tamiya doesn't appear to be interested in improving their products. I challenge Tamiya fans out there to name an RC they manufacture that doesn't have some issues - weak diff, poor chassis design, persistent parts breakage, poor suspension geometry, etc. Many content providers on youtube that cover Tamiya speak at length about known problems. Maybe the crappy-ness of Tamiya cars is just part of the charm, I donno. :roll:
Okay, enough ranting. I need to get back to my Brat. :D
Doug

TheDiamondOne
Approved Member

Post by TheDiamondOne »

I get your point in a way, but we race modern cars, and we build these to run lightly and enjoy on the shelf. Those tires should be an option to buy if u are gonna race, not be in the kit. I mean, now if they rerelease the turbo ultima, there really is no point, its all in this car, with those huge rear shocks. Just miserable about it.
David, The artist formerly known as coxbros

Biz73
Approved Member

Post by Biz73 »

It's interesting how we all have different wants out of these re-issues. I've been building and driving Tamiya re-issues for the last 6 years. Over the last 2 years I branched out and tried a couple other brands. Now I want cars that have the old school look, but can drive decently. I couldn't afford any cars in the 80's, but if I had I would probably want cars that were true to the OG. There is little chance of any of my cars making it to a track, so I'm not worried about that. I would have liked the rear tires to be a more old school design, but I will see how these run at my local park before I decide to change them or not.

I'm sorry to hear you are not happy with yours. Hopefully you can get the vintage parts you need to get the car looking right for you.

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

I hadn't really thought about it before but it is interesting that Kyosho seems to prefer to supply modern tread/compound tires with their re-release kits while Tamiya prefers to supply original, or more period correct, tires.
Perhaps it's because Kyosho expects their cars to be run on a track while Tamiya's often just end up on the display shelf.
Either way, it's just an example of two manufacturers going down two slightly different paths. I'm okay with both of these approaches however it would be awesome if Kyosho would reproduce the original style tires. I'd have them on all my shelfers.
Doug

TheDiamondOne
Approved Member

Post by TheDiamondOne »

Good thing we have Marwan RC for those much needed tires. Wish kyosho would not do this and leave the decision to the end user. I appreciate both companies rereleases but tamiya gets my vote overall.

EvolutionRevolution
Approved Member

Post by EvolutionRevolution »

XLR8 wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:55 pm
From my limited experience with Tamiya products, if the original car had reliability or performance problems then the re-release will also have those same problems. Tamiya doesn't appear to be interested in improving their products. I challenge Tamiya fans out there to name an RC they manufacture that doesn't have some issues - weak diff, poor chassis design, persistent parts breakage, poor suspension geometry, etc. Many content providers on youtube that cover Tamiya speak at length about known problems. Maybe the crappy-ness of Tamiya cars is just part of the charm, I donno. :roll:
Okay, enough ranting. I need to get back to my Brat. :D
Tamiya F101, 102, 103 and Group C cars. Of course, there's very little that can be screwed up on those. Okay, F103 has the servo that needs to have one ear cut off and then double-sided to the chassis, and F101 and 102 have the damn tiewrap battery mounts. With the Group C you could complain about the realistic bodies that are quite fragile, but in general they're good.

Of course I'm biased because the Tamiya Mercedes C11 was my first Tamiya car...

Oh, greatest complaint about those four chassis: their limited suspension travel makes them really bad for off-road. :lol:

Biz73
Approved Member

Post by Biz73 »

It's been awhile since I have updated this thread. I spent a lot of time trying to figure out a way to run the esc wires. In the end I had to cut them and put on new bullet connectors. I f'n HATE soldering! I got the bullet connectors done on the esc, but the motor wires were a failure. I'll have to get someone else to deal with that crap. I just want to get this done so I can give it a run to see how it performs.

As far as the re-issue subject, you can buy tires for a Kyosho and have an updated drivetrain, or buy bearings and a pinion to have a Tamiya with the same issues they had back in the day. Is one better than the other? No, it just depends on what the owner is looking for. I'm just happy that both companies are bringing back old models for those of us that couldn't afford them back in the day.

TheDiamondOne
Approved Member

Post by TheDiamondOne »

Rere with og aluminum towers and shocks mawan oe tires, and NIB kyosho suoerstock 34 motor.
Attachments
Resized_20200920_165924_8756.jpeg

coxbros1

Post by coxbros1 »

Resized_20200921_054109.jpeg

Biz73
Approved Member

Post by Biz73 »

Where did you get the tires?

All I have left is to place that monster on/off switch and glue the tires. I will try to get some finished pics soon.

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

Its an expensive way to go just to mount a switch but our Factory Works upper chassis also replicates the original styling and adds some strength :wink:
Attachments
C0915030-B298-4C33-869E-0C77437C6667.jpeg
D40DCF28-9F5D-4357-A34C-810FB92BB014.jpeg
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

coxbros1

Post by coxbros1 »

Biz73 wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:03 pm "Where did you get the tires?"

My brother mispelled some stuff...tires are from Marwan RC .....takes awhile to get but they always come in...nice products

Biz73
Approved Member

Post by Biz73 »

GoMachV wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:16 pm Its an expensive way to go just to mount a switch but our Factory Works upper chassis also replicates the original styling and adds some strength :wink:
That would be a great way to go, but it isn't in the budget right now :( I'll have to servo tape it to the deck and take a notch out of the body for the switch to stick out.

Coxbros - Thanks I'll check out Marwan. Those tires are a lot better for the terrain I drive in.