The Chosen (2019)

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

XLR8
Approved Member

The Chosen (2019)

Post by XLR8 »

I’ve recently watched this series online and found it interesting, thought provoking and uplifting.

While I was speaking to my mom a few weeks ago, she mentioned this new bible-based dramatic series she’d heard about recently and wanted to watch but apparently was available only for streaming online. Mom is 85 and has never touched a computer (nor is she motivated to learn to use one) so I quickly went online for her and found that I could order the series on dvd so I had the set sent to her. While online, I also found that I could watch season one of the series (eight episodes) entirely for free – my favorite four-letter word.

Honestly, this is unlike any bible-based program I have ever seen. Episode one is about a troubled woman, a fisherman, a tax collector, a rabbi and a failed exorcism. An odd way to begin a “TV series” but by the end of the episode, it becomes clear this one is different. And, each subsequent episode seems to get better. Also, on the show’s website are round-table discussions between the director and three bible consultants. I’ve found these discussions nearly as interesting as the series itself.
If you’re already familiar with the gospels and perhaps dismiss them as a work of fiction but you appreciate good drama well-acted and smart dialog then you might want to check it out.

Apparently, a lot of folks that have seen the series have expressed their appreciation in various ways. It has been viewed over 50 million times in 180 countries and in over 50 languages. It is the number one highest crowd-funded media project of all time (number 30 on the list of all highest crowd-funded projects). I just checked and IMDB has it rated at 9.8/10 and it’s at 99% audience score on Rotten Tomatoes.

My objective here isn’t to push a certain theological viewpoint but to share an interesting dramatic series with other members who might also enjoy seeing it. So much of what is presented on TV and online is so incredibly dull (and vulgar) that I tend to turn it off. It’s refreshing to see something that is well made and genuinely thought provoking. One interesting fact I’ve learned from the director’s discussions is about Mathew (the tax collector). If his character seems to behave a little differently it’s because the film-makers chose to portray him with Asperger’s syndrome. Also covered in the series and discussions are the foundations of longstanding Jewish traditions that, as an armchair historian, I found extremely interesting.

Filming has begun for season two but we don’t yet know the release date.

Here’s a link to the distributor’s official website but you can view season one episodes and other related content. There’s a Youtube channel as well and it is also available on other social media outlets.

https://studios.vidangel.com/the-chosen

https://www.youtube.com/c/TheChosenSeries/videos?view=0&sort=p&flow=grid
Doug