DS wanna-be.

RC10/12/100/200/250/300/500/Dual Sport
General discussion, builds/restorations etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

arf
Approved Member

DS wanna-be.

Post by arf »

Here is my parking lot car which I put together just like the one I used to club race before the DS was released. I'm still experimenting with tires (back then I ran "waffle" pattern tires.) Compared to the actual 289 Cobra which has a 90" wheelbase the Parma body is actually 1/8th scale.
Attachments
AGF00006.JPG
AGF00007.JPG
AGF00014.JPG

scr8p
Administrator

Re: DS wanna-be.

Post by scr8p »

if you wanted to get some rubber street tires tucked up under that body nicely, and want to experiment, try these:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXNUA8&P=M
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXNTK7&P=M
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXNTL0&P=M

with these on the car, you should get close to a 8 3/4" wheelbase front and rear, which should fit under the car pretty good (i'd think).

now as with anything else, to make new stuff fit, you have to change other stuff. so first off, because of the offset of the rear rims, you'd need to cut down the hub carrier so the rim doesn't hit, and lower the camber link hole. then convert the rear axles to 3/16", with either new stub axles or b2/b3 cvd's. you'll also need (4) 3/16" x 3/8" for the rear carrierrs and (4) 3/16" x 3/8" plain bearings for the front rims.

or, if you don't want to modify your old hub carriers, you could use a pair of the old losi h-arm carriers (a-2038). you'll need (4) 3/16" x 3/8" plain bearings for those.

arf
Approved Member

Post by arf »

scr8p wrote:if you wanted to get some rubber street tires tucked up under that body nicely, and want to experiment, try these:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXNUA8&P=M
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXNTL0&P=M

with these on the car, you should get close to a 8 3/4" wheelbase front and rear, which should fit under the car pretty good (i'd think).

now as with anything else, to make new stuff fit, you have to change other stuff. so first off, because of the offset of the rear rims, you'd need to cut down the hub carrier so the rim doesn't hit, and lower the camber link hole. then convert the rear axles to 3/16", with either new stub axles or b2/b3 cvd's. you'll also need (4) 3/16" x 3/8" for the rear carrierrs and (4) 3/16" x 3/8" plain bearings for the front rims.

or, if you don't want to modify your old hub carriers, you could use a pair of the old losi h-arm carriers (a-2038). you'll need (4) 3/16" x 3/8" plain bearings for those.
Thank you buddy. I'm mounting rear foams which should work well on days when the club sprays the track. Treaded rubber looks so much cooler though :) .

cherokee

Post by cherokee »

What kind of cars are you racing against? I just did a bunch of changes to my DS and am going to be putting it out there against stock touring cars. It did not do too bad before, and I know I will not run up front, but I just love the DS, we have come close a few times.

arf
Approved Member

Post by arf »

cherokee wrote:What kind of cars are you racing against? I just did a bunch of changes to my DS and am going to be putting it out there against stock touring cars. It did not do too bad before, and I know I will not run up front, but I just love the DS, we have come close a few times.
I run my car between heats for kicks because I don't want to subject the body to race damage.

The DS is capable and I raced one against the early crop of touring cars like the original HPI RS4, Yokomo YR4, Losi Street Weapon and Tamiya TA03 but later sold mine in order to get a 4wd :cry: There is no doubt that the newer 4wd cars are superior in handling all other things being equal, especially when they run slicks on a prepared surface. The main thing to remember is that the 2wd DS will require a completely different, smoother "line" around the track than a touring car which can be thrown around more. I would club race the DS today in a heartbeat for one reason: when you beat somebody's hot new ride it'll make them crazy. Good luck and keep us posted.

templeofspeed
Approved Member

Post by templeofspeed »

I ran my NDS against the 4WD's BITD... on foams. It was ok, but really would have been better against like vehicles. Hella tire wear, too. Too bad, it was a blast to drive.

arf
Approved Member

Post by arf »

templeofspeed wrote:I ran my NDS against the 4WD's BITD... on foams. It was ok, but really would have been better against like vehicles. Hella tire wear, too. Too bad, it was a blast to drive.
Somehow I still prefer to run a 2WD model race car.

cherokee

Post by cherokee »

I just love the 2wd car as well, before I would hang in there about mid pack with the 4wd cars. The first time out is going to be this sunday. I will be running an older brushed motor in pretty much a brushless class, so I know I am going to get spanked. But I am going to make the car turn first, then we will get faster.

Any ideas on gearing for a 17.5 motor? I have never done brushless before and have no idea where to start.

Thanks.

arf
Approved Member

Post by arf »

cherokee wrote:I just love the 2wd car as well, before I would hang in there about mid pack with the 4wd cars. The first time out is going to be this sunday. I will be running an older brushed motor in pretty much a brushless class, so I know I am going to get spanked. But I am going to make the car turn first, then we will get faster.

Any ideas on gearing for a 17.5 motor? I have never done brushless before and have no idea where to start.

Thanks.
I couldn't guess there are too many variables but I recently rebuilt my 6 gear tranny in preparation to run an 8.5 Novak brushless :!: With brushless the best way to gear is with a temp gun. Get the motor and esc up to temp and check it against the manufacturer's maximum temp before thermal shutdown, if it's not close then you can go bigger on the pinion for more top end. If its too hot it should thermal and you will know to go with a smaller pinion. But you probably knew this already? :D Hey, I'm dying to hear how Sunday goes. Please post a picture.

cherokee

Post by cherokee »

I will snap a pic when I get home and try to get it posted up....If I can con my wife in to taking some race pics I will post those after the race.

Picked up my personal transponder last night...I have not raced in YEARS, and the smell of the place...I love the smell of paragon in the morning :) brought back so many good memories.

Old man with the old car is chomping at the bit.

cherokee

Post by cherokee »

Here are some Pics of the Dual Sport, I bought this car when it first came out and kept running it up to the time I stoped racing about 10-12 years ago. After that it just sat in the rafters of my bacement along with my other RC stuff.

Got the itch again when I could not race the big cars for a while so I dusted off my old stuff, bought a new 2.4 radio and we are going to go RC racing again, and yes I am going to run the RC10 in the background with stock buggy.

Anyway here are the pics

arf
Approved Member

Post by arf »

Very purposeful looking. I assume that the car was originally built using a conversion kit, since the tub is gold. I like it.

Asso_man!
Approved Member

Post by Asso_man! »

Hey Cherokee, nice DS there, I was wondering what kind of wheels and tires combo you used on your runner and what kind of modifications it needs. I also noticed you have special frontspindle carriers, what are they? Last but not least, I'm on the hunt for the exact same "Goodyear" decals, do you have more or somewhere I could source them? Thanks!

arf
Approved Member

Post by arf »

Asso_man! wrote:Hey Cherokee, nice DS there, I was wondering what kind of wheels and tires combo you used on your runner and what kind of modifications it needs. I also noticed you have special frontspindle carriers, what are they? Last but not least, I'm on the hunt for the exact same "Goodyear" decals, do you have more or somewhere I could source them? Thanks!
A-man, do you see the stickers you want on this sheet I dug up? The Goodyear stickers are 39mm long.
Attachments
Scan.jpg

templeofspeed
Approved Member

Post by templeofspeed »

David, here's how to convert the DS to 12mm hex TC wheels (right from Associated!):

http://www.rc10.com/racerhub/techhelp/dswheels.htm