can tamiya front axles size fit rc10 rims?

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

bdrmbully
Approved Member

can tamiya front axles size fit rc10 rims?

Post by bdrmbully »

can crp's tamiya to kyosho adapters work on a rc10 wheel bearing/rims?
2nd place is just the 1st loser

RocketRob

Re: can tamiya front axles size fit rc10 rims?

Post by RocketRob »

I don't know specifically - but back in the day we had all sorts of wheel shortages, due to lack of existing inventory in hobby shops, and so I had all sorts of bearing sets to accomplish getting just about any wheel on my car.

That being said, it likely isn't as much a matter of if they'll fit but if you can find the bearings with the correct outside diameter to fit the rims you're looking to used with an inside diameter to fit the rc10 axles.

aconsola
Approved Member

Post by aconsola »

bdrmbully wrote:can crp's tamiya to kyosho adapters work on a rc10 wheel bearing/rims?
Tamiya and Kyosho are both metric, AE/losi use SAE, so the answer is No.
however there are options:
There are adapter cups that can be put into tamiya wheels to fit sae bearings.
There are front axles that fit the rc10 that are 5mm diameter to accept metric bearings

adam lancia
Approved Member

Post by adam lancia »

HPI Super Star wheels come with a bunch of different bearing adapters to fit pretty much any axle.

clinehobbies
Approved Member

Post by clinehobbies »

adam lancia wrote:HPI Super Star wheels come with a bunch of different bearing adapters to fit pretty much any axle.
I have some axles that the packages say they are for using tamiya wheels on the rc10 I think they are from CRP.
Have a nice day! :)

RocketRob

Post by RocketRob »

bdrmbully wrote:can crp's tamiya to kyosho adapters work on a rc10 wheel bearing/rims?
The answer is YES.
To put it in perspective, a 13mm wrench is about the same thing as a 1/2-inch wrench.
As long as you're getting bearings the fit your axles, regardless of the Tamaiya wheels supposedly only accepting metric bearings is baloney. If you have the availability of a selection of bearings you can get something that's close enough. The tolerance on the axle needs to be exact, but if a bearing fits snuggly or even barely loose (like happens anyway) in a plastic wheel it's no big deal.

Insisting otherwise is perpetuating a myth....................

We used to do it all the time, back in the day, and the only reason people don't do it now is they expect to buy the exact part as a bolt-on and aren't willing to experiment.

bdrmbully
Approved Member

Post by bdrmbully »

i have rc10 rims with flanged bearings and i wanna put them on my kyosho ultima.they go, on but there is play in them.hence the reason im asking this Q?

aconsola
Approved Member

Post by aconsola »

RocketRob wrote:

Insisting otherwise is perpetuating a myth....................
No it's not, it is perpetuating common sense, If you want something to fit properly and perform well the wheels and axles should match.
There are no bearings that I know of that have an SAE inner race and metric outer.
To get tamiya wheels onto AE axles:
You could use 5x11 tamiya bearings in the tamiya wheels with stock axles, but the 3/16" axles are only 4.76mm, so you have quite a bit of play.
you could try 3/16x5/16 wheel bearings are 7.94mm OD, so if you could find 8mm metric wheels(some kyosho I think use 4x8 bearings?) you would have a little less slop.
3/16x3/8 bearings are only 9.525 OD, so no good fits there either.

To get the AE wheels onto Kyosho axles,
3/16x5/16 bearings are 4.76mm ID. They would only fit on 4mm axles, but there would be a big .76mm gap which means wheel wobble.
You may be able to press 8mm OD metric bearings into the plastic rims that are meant for the 5/16(7.94mm)OD flanged bearings, If you have aluminum wheels it is unlikely to work.
If you are building a shelfer you are all set. I have a set of aluminum wheels that was for some reason drilled out to 10mm for the inboard bearing only, but the 5x10 bearings get the wheels on the truck and for display purposes there is no problem.

Edit/short version:
The only SAE/metric crossover that looks close enough to work is 8mmOD bearings in 5/16" Plastic wheels as JK says below.

JK Racing

Post by JK Racing »

bdrmbully wrote:i have rc10 rims with flanged bearings and i wanna put them on my kyosho ultima.they go, on but there is play in them.hence the reason im asking this Q?
I did this many times when oval racing...remove the RC10 bearings and replace them with 4X8 flanged...you will have no issues. I ran Kyosho for oval and had almost no acess to parts/rims, so AE and Proline rims where almost all I used.
--Joey --
Vintage A&L and Factory Works
Old School Racer & Vintage RC Car nut
JKRacingRC.com

templeofspeed
Approved Member

Post by templeofspeed »

The old Proline delrin front wheels were listed as direct fit for Kyosho and Associated, so the 8mm vs. 5/16" OD bearing part works ok there as Joey said. Not that this actually helps with bdrmbully's question...

shodog
Approved Member

Post by shodog »

The CRP adapters were basically a shim that would fit over the 4mm axle to make it a 5mm axle. If your using plastic wheels, you can cram a flanged 4X8 bearing in but if their aluminum, you will need to drill them out to 8mm.

bdrmbully
Approved Member

Post by bdrmbully »

ok i have T&A rims for rc10.with rc10 to kyosho rear adapters for the rear as they are for rc10 (rear conversion taken care of) but cant find any hot trick front adapters for rc10 to kyosho adapters.im pretty sure i saw them some time ago,just never had the need for them when i saw them unfortunately.and i dont wanna drill the nice t&a rims to fit kyosho bearings as that would be a tradgedy lol.
thanks for the help though fellow members.any more would be greatly appreciated and yes they are going on a shelfer (my hot trick ultima) to be exact but who knows, 1 day i may wanna run her ,never know lol

shodog
Approved Member

Post by shodog »

I would drill them out. there is only .06mm difference between 5/16 and 8mm. if you ever wanted to used them on an rc10, you could run a bit of threadlocker on the front bearings to bridge that small gap.

rctenracer
Approved Member

Post by rctenracer »

the crp adaptors are for mounting tamiya wheels with 5x11 bearings . i have used these to mount the tamiya rims and tires from a grasshopper or frog rims.