front a-arm lengths

General info, Q&A.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

PBR Allstar
Approved Member

front a-arm lengths

Post by PBR Allstar »

I was wondering if somone can give me an idea of the different arms available to use on an RC10gt that I'm building a late model dirt oval car out of. I was going to use rc10 wide track front arms which measure at about 2" from inner pin to outer pin, and trim the gt front bulkhead a bit. That setup would put my front end at just under 9" track width but I'd really like to find some arms that will put me at just under 10" track width so I need some arms that are in the 2.5" range pin to pin.

Any ideas?

BTW, I tried some traxxas 4tec rear arms in the front, but they didn't gain me much.

GAMMACRUSH
Approved Member

Re: front a-arm lengths

Post by GAMMACRUSH »

then you could add the gt wide front axles that would give you like half an inch. then the rc10b4 front block carriers will give you a few mm more. keep in mind the amount of caster it will give you, i think the b4 has 25*

check out my project "full-race rc10 tub" i ran into the same situation, and what i did to get the extra width! i modified the truck bulkhead for rc10 arms. (rpm ones though) but the associated widetrack will require less modding to fit.
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4508

associated widetrack-
RPM team spec- (same as wide track)
RPM world spec- wider, but i dont suggest them to race, to use them up would be a shame when so many of us want them for our shelf queens there are easier/cheaper/better alternatives (as above) if you break them youd have a hard time finding them again. whereas the above, about any hobbyshop would set you up again!
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4817

modding the bulkhead for the rc10 arms was not that hard just took some time. small hack saw, sandpaper and a soldering iron.

peace,
gamma

GAMMACRUSH
Approved Member

Post by GAMMACRUSH »

PBR Allstar
Approved Member

Post by PBR Allstar »

Thanks Gamma,
I just got off the phone with Chad at dynotech, he's getting the arms out today or tomorrow for me. Funny you linked Scrap's post, I was just reading a thread on dirtoval.com where he was asking about them for a "custom project" then it all clicked. But yeah, the meauserment are going to work out perfect.

thanks again.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

PBR, are you using the standard rc10 rear a-arms on the gt? what wheels will you be using?

PBR Allstar
Approved Member

Post by PBR Allstar »

Scr8p,
I'm playing around with different combo's,,, I ordered front and rear arms from chad at dynotech, I have stock length and B4 length cvds,, I've played with the B4 hub carries a bit, played with some traxxas 4tec arms in the front, but yeah, other than that it will probably be all gt hardware with c/w wheels, my own shock towers and short buggy team shocks front and rear. Sounds really like the klein arms are the way to go though,,,, right???

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

i had a gt awhile back that i was gonna give the "late model" treatment, but never got around to it and eventually sold it. you'd probably be better off finding someone over on dodc that has done the conversion. but, from what i remember, with the klein arms on the rear, you'll want to use stock b4 cvd's, and either the old style losi h-arm hub carriers, or the custom works hub carriers from the gbx/gsx. the stock gt carrier will not allow the use of the custom works wheels.

PBR Allstar
Approved Member

Post by PBR Allstar »

you can run the custom works wheels with the gt hub carriers but you have to run the c/w .125" spacers. or you can run the B4 hub carrier with or without the spacer. Currently I have it mocked up with RC10 rear arms, B4 hub carriers and axles that are shimmed inboard, with standard rc10 cvds. That setup measures out to just over 9", about 9.3" with the spacers. I'm thinking with the klein arms, truck carriers and spacers, I should be somewhere between 9.5"-9.75" (I figured it out earlier with the lengths you posted but it's written down out in the garage on my notepad) which is right what I'm going for with the c/w eldora body. As far as all the info I tracked down on dodc, most of those guys seem to short cut it a little and not get everything they can out of it, probably because the klein arms aren't the cheapest or easiest thing to get (easy enough with some hunting around though). So most guys just run the rc10 wide track stuff and call it a day, but the track isn't optimal, and the stuff looks a little silly sitting that far inboard on a 10" body. Not to mention I'm pretty sticky with my attention to detail and setup so I'd really like to try to give the custom works cars a run for their money with some home brewed engineering....

Now if I can only find a way to run down the cheaters in the box stock slider class without acctually cheating myself..... My 1400 mah pack against guys slipping 2c lipos in their cars under the noses of the loose tech inspection!!!! May be time for some undercover motor tuning?