Masami CAT XLS: a restored vintage and a re-release

The place for all things Schumacher.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

XLR8
Approved Member

Masami CAT XLS: a restored vintage and a re-release

Post by XLR8 »

Since my ’91 Stealth RC10 runner build is finished, I’m taking a short break before starting the replica build so I’ve gone back to finish the CAT XLS builds that I’d started about a year ago. Since you’re here viewing this post, you’ve probably already seen plenty of these replica Masami XLS CAT’s on the web. Drawing upon my experiences building these two cars, maybe I can contribute a bit more to the pool of information that’s currently available – at least regarding body, paint and decal application anyway.
For this first post, I just want to present the two cars with a brief narrative then I’ll post more details on body, paint and decals later this week. At first glance, they might appear virtually identical but there are subtle differences that I’ll attempt to explain later. Ultimately, I’ve tried to make the vintage car the more faithful replica of Masami’s car. If you’re interested in building a Masami replica, maybe some of this will be useful.
P1010090.JPG
First up, the vintage XLS that I purchase new sometime around ’87 or ’88. When first acquired, I swapped the G10 chassis, shock tower and camber plate parts for C/F replacements. Unfortunately, I’ve lost track of those G10 originals so the plate parts currently installed on the car have been pulled from a 2017 re-release version.
I raced this car nearly every week for two or three seasons bitd but now it will be retired to the shelf. When I disassembled the car for cleaning, I was surprised to find that the universal shaft cross pins were the only parts showing any signs of wear; the bearings, suspension pivot pins and balls, camber links and the steering rack system are as tight as when the car was new. Also, while I was racing the car, I don’t recall ever having a part failure. Certainly, in addition to being very light, this car was very well designed and constructed. If you’re aware of problems with these cars, then please post a comment below.
P1010091.JPG
P1010092.JPG
P1010096.JPG
P1010098.JPG
P1010103.JPG
P1010104.JPG
This is the 2017 re-release Masami replica. The plate parts are new C/F parts (from Factory Works). The car is using a Trinity solid lay shaft, pro-diff assembly and belts pulled from the vintage car and the front diff has been replaced with one-way bearings. All the kit’s Philips drive fasteners have been replaced with stainless hex machine screws. Once I’ve sourced the electronics needed for this car, it will become my new runner.
P1010116.JPG
P1010118.JPG
P1010120.JPG
Doug

XLR8
Approved Member

Re: Masami CAT XLS: a restored vintage and a re-release

Post by XLR8 »

here are a few photos of the re-release that wouldn't attach to the previous post...
P1010123.JPG
P1010129.JPG
P1010121.JPG
Next, the body wing and undertray details. :D
Doug

NomadRacer
Approved Member

Post by NomadRacer »

Very cool Doug! I've been eye ballin' the re-release at amain for awhile.
Bum on Direct Deposit

broodenburg
Approved Member

Post by broodenburg »

cool car and cool pic's. Pic's look almost factory-like 8)

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

Thanks.
I think we choose to tinker with these old RC cars partly because they remind us of happier times, places we’ve traveled, people we’ve met, friendships, etc. They certainly do that for me. However, if I hadn’t raced Schumachers bitd, I probably wouldn’t invest time and money into them now. They’re a serious race car and very much unlike any other RC available at the time (highly engineered in both design and material choices and very well thought-out overall) but some of their unique design elements can make them a little fussy to assemble. They’re extremely light, drive and handle great out-of-the-box (well, except the original short wheelbase car which could be a handful), respond to normal tuning tricks and they don’t break (or, at least mine didn’t).
Also, I always found great joy spanking all the other Yokes and Mids on the track. :mrgreen:
Doug

matt1ptkn
Approved Member

Post by matt1ptkn »

XLR8 wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:35 pm Thanks.
I think we choose to tinker with these old RC cars partly because they remind us of happier times, places we’ve traveled, people we’ve met, friendships we’ve began, etc. They certainly do that for me.
They certainly do that for me as well. Lots of memories tied up in these toys. Beautiful buggies, btw.
Matt

Just a part of my RC collection: Matt1ptkn's Toys

"I wish there was a way to tell you're in the good old days, before you've actually left them."