Vintage trans, LRM Slipper vs Lethal Weapon Slipper vs MIP Slipper vs XX retrofit slipper

The place for all things Losi.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Snappy1

Vintage trans, LRM Slipper vs Lethal Weapon Slipper vs MIP Slipper vs XX retrofit slipper

Post by Snappy1 »

I am building a New parts Losi JRX2 , it's very near complete, but after reading through much of this section I am in two minds regarding the trans choice.

Currently it has a new built LRM slipper with a A-3020 bearing diff, what trans would be the most desirable ?

I can purchase the Lethal Weapon slipper with the belt drive but I would have to re drill my chassis, I cannot find any info regarding the MIP trans, I am guessing it is a 3 gear with ball diff, I have also never come across the MIP trans for sale, but I am also in Australia so that may limit options, and I also have a complete running XX retrofit with bones....

What is everyones opinion on trans ?

GoMachV
Approved Member

Re: Vintage tans, LRM Slipper vs Lethal Weapon Slipper vs MIP Slipper vs XX retrofit slipper

Post by GoMachV »

If you decide to go the way of the Lethal Weapon, let me know. We can save you some dough over ordering off ebay.

It requires more than just a couple holes too. It requires modifying the rear bulkhead and arm mount a bit, and leaves you without a motor guard. It is however the only aftermarket trans kits that is still sold today. Just food for thought.
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

Snappy1

Re: Vintage trans, LRM Slipper vs Lethal Weapon Slipper vs MIP Slipper vs XX retrofit slipper

Post by Snappy1 »

Thanks GoMachV, I'll keep that in mind, I have been eying off several A & L parts,

Are the spur gears for the lethal weapon easily available ?

Lonestar
Approved Member

Re: Vintage trans, LRM Slipper vs Lethal Weapon Slipper vs MIP Slipper vs XX retrofit slipper

Post by Lonestar »

Snappy1 wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:21 pm I am building a New parts Losi JRX2 , it's very near complete, but after reading through much of this section I am in two minds regarding the trans choice.

Currently it has a new built LRM slipper with a A-3020 bearing diff, what trans would be the most desirable ?

I can purchase the Lethal Weapon slipper with the belt drive but I would have to re drill my chassis, I cannot find any info regarding the MIP trans, I am guessing it is a 3 gear with ball diff, I have also never come across the MIP trans for sale, but I am also in Australia so that may limit options, and I also have a complete running XX retrofit with bones....

What is everyones opinion on trans ?
I don't know the Lethal Weapon enough, but it could be pretty cool and you have Jeff @GoMachV here so that's a sure plus :)

the LRM with A-3020 is ok when built right, and is original to the car. The retrofit came on the Pro-SE and LXT, which are two generations "younger" than your JRX-2, so, yes, it should fit but it is somewhat anachronistic.

The MIP is very rarely available for sale... if you set this yourself as a target, it's a pretty demanding one, but hey, if you come across one, more power to you (and money off you) if you can land it ;)

Are you building a JRX2 as a runner or a shelfer?
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

Snappy1 wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:46 am Are the spur gears for the lethal weapon easily available ?
Yes, they use standard old school pan car style gears like Kimbrough.
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website