My Losi XX CR Kinwald rebuild thread - updated now running

The place for all things Losi.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

S1mma
Approved Member

My Losi XX CR Kinwald rebuild thread - updated now running

Post by S1mma »

Hi guys, first post here.

I wanted to start a thread to document my XX CR Kinwald edition rebuild. I read that this is the forum with plenty of active vintage Losi peeps, so any advice/pointers and parts should I need anything would be appreciated!

I started out in RC when I was a teenager in 1994 with a first generation Losi XX. I never raced, just bashed around. In around 1997/8 I was in my local RC store and saw a used XX for sale. It was graphite and had a few trick parts, so I bought it as a roller for about £45. This became my main car, and I discovered it was a CR Kinwald edition. Time went on, and the XX found a box in the garage. Eventually I emigrated to another country in 2010, and passed the XX on to my younger step brother in law. I returned to the UK after 4 years, and after poking around in the in laws garage, I found the XX in a box, feeling a bit sorry for itself. Feeling nostalgic and remembering the good times I had with it, I thought: why not rebuild it?

So on to the XX CR Kinwald, here is how I found him:

One of the screws was stripped, bit of a pain getting the thread out but managed it in the end without damaging the chassis:

Old Kyosho servo:

Original bulkhead:

Rusty MIP arms, and chewed up rod ends:

Fasteners and bits all removed:

Steering:

All stripped down, cleaned and ready to start the rebuild:

Next post will start the build :mrgreen: 8)

S1mma
Approved Member

Re: My Losi XX CR Kinwald rebuild thread

Post by S1mma »

The build starts:

So for the past 3 months I've been hoarding parts. I also bought a 22 2.0 to race which has been built and raced and few time now, lots of fun. I also got hold of a pre built slightly dusty but brand new XXX CR (which probably needs another thread in future should I strip and rebuild that also), and another XXX with EA3 parts for spares.

I threw out all the old fasteners, and bought the Losi XX Associsted alu anodised blue screw kit with some extra sets of screws, along with some stainless screws for the parts that I couldn't find blue anodised Associated 4-40 screws. I purchased new titanium nitride hinge pins all around (and salvaged those pins that were in good order), and sourced all titanium losi ball studs. I found some cheap alu trinity ballstuds so got those for good measure. Also got hold of new bearings, and plenty of other stuff: shims/washers/nuts/e-clips/gearbox parts/slipper parts, RPM rod ends, graphite CR suspension arms, graphite pivot plate, 4 front bumpers, new front spindles, graphite battery hold down, other graphite spares, new lt weight polished motor plate - the list goes on. And on. And on!

Here's some of the hoard:

So I started the build, here's a few shots of progress so far:

Love the foam things:

I'm rebuilding the spindles now, will post more in the coming weeks when I get more done.

LosiXXkid
Approved Member

Post by LosiXXkid »

Welcome aboard!

Great to see some more rekindled love for the XX.....a Kinwald Edition too.

Will look forward to watching the progress as this is brought back to life.

You've definitely found the right place for everything vintage Losi :D
~I'm a lot older now than I was then and wish that I knew then what I know now~

oldrc
Approved Member

Post by oldrc »

Welcome to the forum.

Nice to see yet another XX rebuild, another Kinwald too :)
I am not affiliated with oldrc.com, I'm just old when it comes to my RC history :D

S1mma
Approved Member

Post by S1mma »

Thanks guys, it's going to take a while I'm sure to rebuild fully.

I'm unsure about which front tower to use, I have the smaller kinwald item and the bigger one which I used in the above pics. The bigger one has more holes, are they useful? They both seem to be made from the same material

jamin
Approved Member

Post by jamin »

S1mma wrote:Thanks guys, it's going to take a while I'm sure to rebuild fully.

I'm unsure about which front tower to use, I have the smaller kinwald item and the bigger one which I used in the above pics. The bigger one has more holes, are they useful? They both seem to be made from the same material
Great to see another XX build, the Losi forum has picked up of late :D

If you are going with the Kinwald theme then use that tower - the bigger one was the mk1 version, but I believe the holes are the same positions. You only need one or possibly two holes for tuning if you are going to race, so I wouldn't worry about that at all.

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

Wow - another XX! Great stuff - looks like you are doing a good job on this old Kinwald! I love the shot with all the new parts - so tantalising! 8)

Its funny that this new increase in Losi interest seems to be mostly spearheaded from this side of the pond!

S1mma
Approved Member

Post by S1mma »

jamin wrote:
S1mma wrote:Thanks guys, it's going to take a while I'm sure to rebuild fully.

Great to see another XX build, the Losi forum has picked up of late :D

If you are going with the Kinwald theme then use that tower - the bigger one was the mk1 version, but I believe the holes are the same positions. You only need one or possibly two holes for tuning if you are going to race, so I wouldn't worry about that at all.
Ok cool, I'll swap them over next time I work on it. I'm sure the holes line up, just the Kinwald tower doesn't have the last outside hole options. Saves a bit of weight also!

S1mma
Approved Member

Post by S1mma »

DerbyDan wrote:Wow - another XX! Great stuff - looks like you are doing a good job on this old Kinwald! I love the shot with all the new parts - so tantalising! 8)

Its funny that this new increase in Losi interest seems to be mostly spearheaded from this side of the pond!
Hey, thx! Yes it's been a lot of work finding everything. Also mapping out how many of each type of fastener is needed. Got stuff from UK, USA and Canada.

S1mma
Approved Member

Post by S1mma »

Question guys: one side of the transmission case has damage on the bottom mounting screw, corner has snapped off. Can I find one side of a case easier than a whole case, I know they are hard to find now. Is the kinwald case different to a non kinwald case?

LosiXXkid
Approved Member

Post by LosiXXkid »

S1mma wrote:Question guys: one side of the transmission case has damage on the bottom mounting screw, corner has snapped off. Can I find one side of a case easier than a whole case, I know they are hard to find now. Is the kinwald case different to a non kinwald case?
The only time you're ever likely to find one half of the trans case is either with a used XX or else part of some used parts lot. In both cases (no pun intended), there's probably a very good reason why it's not actually in use. The case itself is the same for all XX buggy's, i.e. it has an internal ratio of 2.19:1 so any will fit.

Yes, they are increasingly hard to find these days......and seriously expensive when you do :x so you may need to think about buying another complete XX (for the spares)......which is a bit of a pain but far cheaper in the long run.

There are some NIP A-3058 XX Trans Case Sets on eBay right now...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TEAM-LOSI-A-3058-XX-Trans-case-set-2-19-1-Vintage-/221534476112?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item33947bd750#ht_712wt_1024

jamin
Approved Member

Post by jamin »

If all else fails you could fit the XXT transmission (complete unit) which is the same size case (externally), but the internal gearing is higher (2.61:1). Kinwald did at one point use the XXT transmission in his buggies!

LosiXXkid
Approved Member

Post by LosiXXkid »

jamin wrote:If all else fails you could fit the XXT transmission (complete unit) which is the same size case (externally), but the internal gearing is higher (2.61:1). Kinwald did at one point use the XXT transmission in his buggies!
I was going to mention this! The 2.61:1 trans case is also a bit cheaper too.....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TEAM-LOSI-A-3059-XX-T-trans-case-set-Vintage-/321502193742?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4adb06284e#ht_724wt_1024

Although you will also need a new top shaft, idler and diff gear to make it work so it's still an expensive option. :(

S1mma
Approved Member

Post by S1mma »

Ok thanks guys. As I have my older original xx chassis - maybe I can grab the tranny case from there for the time being.

Next thing I was considering: driveshafts. What is the MIP part for a CR? It's different than the normal xx I believe? Does the XXX CR rear driveshaft fit, as I have a spare set kicking around.

oldrc
Approved Member

Post by oldrc »

MIP part number for the Kinwald CVD's is A9923, they are the blue-ish coloured ones that came as standard with the Kinwald, not sure what the shiny CVD part number is.
I am not affiliated with oldrc.com, I'm just old when it comes to my RC history :D