Slipper or diff, what's slipping?

General info, Q&A.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

shorne

Slipper or diff, what's slipping?

Post by shorne »

I am running a rc10t and when I hit the throttle from a standstill with anything above 50% throttle I get slipping sound and not much moving. Is that normal? If I let off a bit it runs fine. I have tried tightening my slipper but it still slips at pretty much the same spot.

I was thinking I might need to get a new slipper pad, sand the pad or get a modern slipper. However, recently I read that it might be the diff slipping. How can I test or see which is slipping?

I'm running onroad with all stock stock transmission, 11t motor and a 17t pinion gear.

slow_jun
Approved Member

Re: Slipper or diff, what's slipping?

Post by slow_jun »

Check ur diff.might be loose or needs to change diff rings or balls.
“It is more shameful to distrust our friends than to be deceived by them.”
― Confucius

Y'ernat Al
Approved Member

Post by Y'ernat Al »

I'd say diff without really knowing what a "slipping sound" is. You could just pull the pads/spring out of the slipper and lock it down. Hold onto both rear wheels and see if you can turn the locked down spur with your thumb. Shouldn't be very easy to do.
- Brian -

My Gallery

shorne

Post by shorne »

Thanks, Al taking the slipper apart and locking down the tires should do the trick.

The slipping sound is what you here when the motor spins up and nothing moves , something must be slipping :) , and it's not gears crunching.

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

The easy way to tell which is slipping:

Do as AL mentioned, hold both tires from spinning and try to spin the spur gear. Observe the slipper nut. If it turns WITH the spur then the diff is slipping. If it stays in place then it's the slipper slipping.
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

limestang
Approved Member

Post by limestang »

On a related topic, any recommendations on how much to tighten the 6 Gear Diff when using brushless power? Following the original manual, I get a great deal of slip.

Thanks Limestang

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

limestang wrote:On a related topic, any recommendations on how much to tighten the 6 Gear Diff when using brushless power? Following the original manual, I get a great deal of slip.

Thanks Limestang
This would be better in a new thread cause it's a 6 gear... But start by gluing the rings to the hubs to make sure they aren't slipping.
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

shorne

Post by shorne »

Thanks gomachv, that saves a bit of time as I don't need to take apart the slipper first.

Limestang,
I saw a video on YouTube (better to post in another thread), it explains that you should adjust the slipper so that when you apply full throttle and hold both tires the front of the car will lift slightly, 2inches, then start to slip. In my case however tight I go the nose doesn't lift.

Maybe that's not the best method?

85Edinger
Approved Member

Post by 85Edinger »

limestang wrote:On a related topic, any recommendations on how much to tighten the 6 Gear Diff when using brushless power? Following the original manual, I get a great deal of slip.

Thanks Limestang
I hold the wheels still and crank that sucker down. Be sure to use a new locknut so it stays in place.
Also, make sure it's well assembled and has either black or steel idlers (are the rere idlers any good?) I just know that in my experience the old white idlers don't stand up to silver can power, let alone brushless.
. . . you have Associated Green Slime for brains. And not even new Green Slime, but old gooped out Green Slime.

shorne

Post by shorne »

Last weekend I got time to check this out and make the change. It was the diff slipping.

I opened up the diff and found that I was missing 4 carbide diff balls form the stealth transmission. I now remember I lost 1 or 2 many years ago an in order to keep it balanced I just took a few out, configuration something like ( o o x, o o x, o o x, o o x ). Needless to I have placed an order for a new set, arriving in another 1-2 weeks. The missing balls are no doubt contributing to the slipping; the thrust washers are in perfect shape.

With the missing balls I did tighten the diff and its not slipping now and it still works pretty smooth.

Today I finally got around to taking the truck for a test drive after making the adjustments. Its like night and day driving with the properly adjusted diff and slipper. Changes I can notice:
  • - The car accelerates much better (with a bit of tire spin which wasn't there before)
    - The car turns much better (I used to have a lot of understeer under throttle, now I get oversteer which I can control with the throttle)
    - Overall the car seems a lot more planted