Airbrush recommendations

Show off your paintwork, tips/tricks, decals, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

RC104ever
Approved Member

Airbrush recommendations

Post by RC104ever »

Hey guys so here's the deal - if you were going to buy an entire airbrush setup (brush, compressor etc), what would you get and why?

I'm ready to drop the cash on a FULL setup but I want a good one that will be very versatile (so dual action?) and be able to do both model work and maybe other things, like automotive applications.
- Chris
Lots of cars...so many cars

slapshot1979
Approved Member

Re: Airbrush recommendations

Post by slapshot1979 »

I would recommend the hobby wing airbrush and a dedicated a single or double stage piston compressor for the garage. (depending on you storage area??)
Sleeps with a night light on, not because he's scared of the dark but because the dark is scared of him...........stay thirsty my friends

integra22t
Approved Member

Post by integra22t »

i more or less have that set up

i have 3 bager 150 airbrushes ( 2 fine tips 1 med ) with a pashe 300 for fill in , 1/3hp oilless compresure with 5 gal tank, air regulator, 2 water traps

its maxed out for autmotive murals to paint larger areas i have 3 hvlp debliss guns one for base, one primer, and one for clear.. but for them you need a 60 gal 3hp compressure

the bigest thing i would say is buy a airbush that is around your area .. i can get bager parts easy .. would love to have an iwata but no parts near me

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

slapshot1979 wrote:I would recommend the hobby wing airbrush and a dedicated a single or double stage piston compressor for the garage. (depending on you storage area??)
I have 2 of those. They're great for painting, but really troublesome for glitter (i.e. FasGlitter + FasKoat). I couldn't get either of my airbrushes to reliably and consistently paint FasGlitter at all. Just FYI.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

RC104ever
Approved Member

Post by RC104ever »

Links people, I need links to products! :lol:
- Chris

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Someday I'm going to invest in a better-quality airbrush, one that'll be able to spray glitter as well as fine lines, consistently. You can't really go wrong with these $20-buck HobbyKing brushes, but they have their limitations. They're perfect for getting into airbrushing and learning the basics...but you get what you pay for, is what it boils down to.

surgetek
Approved Member

Post by surgetek »

I have this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001CEEWX4/ref=s9_wish_gw_d53_g201_ir03?ie=UTF8&colid=3U4V0EA733M0S&coliid=IH40IRPXNM7AP&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0QNBZHVN44922Q8NJ7WA&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1389517282&pf_rd_i=507846

For what I need it for it works great. I am by no means an artist or pretend to be one so I can't say one way or another as to how good it is for more than basic painting.

marlo
Approved Member

Post by marlo »

surgetek wrote:I have this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001CEEWX4/ref=s9_wish_gw_d53_g201_ir03?ie=UTF8&colid=3U4V0EA733M0S&coliid=IH40IRPXNM7AP&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0QNBZHVN44922Q8NJ7WA&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1389517282&pf_rd_i=507846

For what I need it for it works great. I am by no means an artist or pretend to be one so I can't say one way or another as to how good it is for more than basic painting.
I have a similar one, whisper quiet, its great for late night work :wink: and for brushes, I use a suck feed for large work, and a gravity feed for fine detail......never use the can's for air power, they suck!!

Vintagemishal
Approved Member

Post by Vintagemishal »

Iwata, been the best brush I have ever owned. I use the Iwata Eclipse gravity feed with a Harbor Freight Airbrush compressor. Works great.

RC104ever
Approved Member

Post by RC104ever »

Thanks - I'm guessing that this compressor would be useless for automotive tools? Which is fine as I don't need it for that but was just trying to kill 2 birds with 1 stone
- Chris

integra22t
Approved Member

Post by integra22t »

they are nice and quiet but dont have air storage so they have to run all the time your painting ... also when you first spray they build a little pressure so it gives a burst of air so if your doing fine work its a little pain

surgetek
Approved Member

Post by surgetek »

RC104ever wrote:

Thanks - I'm guessing that this compressor would be useless for automotive tools? Which is fine as I don't need it for that but was just trying to kill 2 birds with 1 stone
Yeah it's nowhere near what you need for those tools. I am guessing that a compressor like that would fire the airbrush across the room unless you could turn it down to minimal.

marlo
Approved Member

Post by marlo »

For model type work you need very little PSI, shop compressors are no good for that kind of work. your better of using a car tire :mrgreen: