Old school Yokomo and the newer kits....

The place for all things Yokomo.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

naushad
Approved Member

Re: Old school Yokomo and the newer kits....

Post by naushad »

I haven't had much chance to run my vintage yokos, but I think of the modern cars the BMAX4 is the smoothest 4wd out there..not as fancy as a lot of alloy bling but awesome to drive.

Hotrodvw
Approved Member

Post by Hotrodvw »

Well, judging from what I have seen at the local level, there are a few fast 4wd mod buggys, but again that is alot of the driver speaking. The smoother the track, the more the Yokomo shines, regardless of model . I'll be indoors, clay type track, so I have high hopes and aspirations for my MX-4. Hopefully my dreams aren't shattered :lol:

Thanks for your insight guys, seems like a great bunch here.

Bad Company

Post by Bad Company »

Lap times don't lie....so the easiest way to find out would be to take a modern car and an "oldtimer" and drive them both on the same day with same engine and akku..... :wink:

kink
Approved Member

Post by kink »

I have to say if I ever bought a second rc car it would be an old school Yokomo Dogfighter YZ-10. For me they are the coolest 4WD buggy ever made.
GARBO 1/8

Hotrodvw
Approved Member

Post by Hotrodvw »

kink wrote:I have to say if I ever bought a second rc car it would be an old school Yokomo Dogfighter YZ-10. For me they are the coolest 4WD buggy ever made.
And they're damn fast, especially on an indoor track. On a nicer ourdoor track, they rock and roll as well. I had one, I loved it.

R/CVet

Post by R/CVet »

kink wrote:I have to say if I ever bought a second rc car it would be an old school Yokomo Dogfighter YZ-10. For me they are the coolest 4WD buggy ever made.

Agreed...I did just that not too long ago after knowing of the car since the '80's but focusing on Tamiya models all these years. Now I'm seriously considering taking it through it's paces at the Vonats in CT, USA this Sept. to see what the old girl is made of.

ralphee
Approved Member

Post by ralphee »

I have to say, all this talk has put me in the position of wanting to run my YZ10 now at an indoor venue here in the UK.
I did buy a TRF511 for the task, but, it would be nice to "race" the YZ, instead of just running it. That may mean i need a second chassis to keep purely as a queen lol......hmmmm.

lee

Hotrodvw
Approved Member

Post by Hotrodvw »

IMO, the Yokes (YZ-10 and newer) were designed to be raced. These arent' just bashers for the yard, I've never run my Yokes like that. I had other RC's for that. My Yokes have always been my racers. They're are born champions and I believe even a YZ can still be as competitive on an indoor track in 2013 as it was in 1996. I say if you're thinking about breaking out your 'racer', don't hesitate to do it. I'd love to see more 'classic' 4wd buggys out there mixing it up with the newer models. Nothing says kiss my @$$ like beating them with a 20yr old buggy! 8)

stickboy007
Approved Member

Post by stickboy007 »

Hotrodvw wrote:IMO, the Yokes (YZ-10 and newer) were designed to be raced. These arent' just bashers for the yard, I've never run my Yokes like that. I had other RC's for that. My Yokes have always been my racers. They're are born champions and I believe even a YZ can still be as competitive on an indoor track in 2013 as it was in 1996. I say if you're thinking about breaking out your 'racer', don't hesitate to do it. I'd love to see more 'classic' 4wd buggys out there mixing it up with the newer models. Nothing says kiss my @$$ like beating them with a 20yr old buggy! 8)
Much agreed, although I admittedly struggle with the idea of dirtying up such a beautiful car. I regularly race a B44 for 4wd mod, and I put that thing through the wringer. Can't imagine doing the same to my YZ10s, although I am tempted to mix it up a bit and run some of my older stuff for a few weekend races this summer. My 870c is almost ready to run...just gotta finish making a lipo tray for it and it should be good to go. I figure I could run that and leave the '94 YZ10 for the oohs and aahs.