I'm building a gold pan RC10 runner - WOIO

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

RC10th
Approved Member

I'm building a gold pan RC10 runner - WOIO

Post by RC10th »

After digging through all my stuff I thought I'd build a runner out of left over parts that I wouldn't otherwise use, so, I might as well put them to use. I'm toying between the idea of running a wide arm car with modern tires, or keeping with the narrow arms and 1.9 tires for nostalgia. I'm leaning more towards nostalgia although I know finding tires will be a problem.

What started out as a throw it together and run it has become a mini resto as I've been buying white parts to replace all of the black parts. I'm not a fan of black nylon on a gold car so I'll use them for a worlds car or something else down the track. I also couldn't bring myself to use the MIP 3 gear trans so it looks like I'll be buying another AE 6 gear to replace it. I have two unrestored A stamp RC10's I havn't gotten to yet that I could pilfer parts from to get it up and running quickly but both are too good to split up for a runner.

I'm also not sure if I want to peroxide it to tidy it up a bit or just clean the nylon and leave it. Either way it will be a fun build and fun to drive.

Here is what I have to start with. Not much to look at but it will start to really come together when my white bits arrive.
Attachments
RC10 parts 1.jpg
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !

justinspeed79
Approved Member

Re: I'm building a gold pan RC10 runner.

Post by justinspeed79 »

Looks pretty good already! :D

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

Unfortunately it will probably cost more to build then to just pick up a cheap 2nd hand buggy. The problem is though if I did that I'd still have left over parts which would lead to another buggy and the vicious cycle would start all over again.

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

Well, not a lot has changed so far except for the fact that I've received all of the parts needed to finish the buggy. Like most old parts purchased over the internet some are better than expected and others worse. In saying that most of my second hand parts are in better shape.

So far I've washed and scrubbed all parts which have cleaned up pretty good. I'll give them one final round of cleaning before giving them a quick peroxide bath. I've decided to do the whitening thing after seeing how well a spur gear turned out that was destined for the trash bin, and to make the parts more uniform in color. I don't want them stark white but as white as new parts would be.

Being a runner I'm reluctant to put the "better" piece on the buggy. Regardless it will still turn out good and have that vintage feel about it.

So far this thread is pretty boring but will hopefully pick up as I get the time to put it together and get photos.

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

Here's where I'm up to at the moment. The yellow incandescent light makes the nylon look more yellowed then it actually is, the spur gear and rear rims are as white as new nylon. Tomorrow I'll pick up a small BBQ tray and give everything else a 24hr peroxide bath. I'll then boil the parts for 5 mins after, just long enough to open the pores and allow the peroxide to escape. All of the steel parts and trans parts have been cleaned and ready for reassembly. I had to buy two new outdrive gears as the ones in the trans were pretty worn. I also have a complete set of new bearings to replace the old ones.

Although I wanted top loaded shocks the ones I got turned out to be bottom load shocks. At least they suit the vintage.

This will be a WOIO build :D My aim is to complete the winter season at the local track using period equipment. Not sure if I want to go as far as using a 15 minute timer charger though, we'll see.
Attachments
2013-03-17 19.23.29-1.jpg

shua

Post by shua »

Very cool.
I'm working towards the same end with an old buggy I picked up online.

What electronics do you have in the works?

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

The ESC is a Futaba MC112B, servo is a Futaba FP-S148, receiver is a Futaba FP-R102JE with a 3' antenna. I want an Associated motor or Reedy green label motor but all I have at the moment is a vintage Trinity Speedworks.

I also need to buy a Futaba Magnum transmitter, the square version. I had a few but gave them away in the early 2000's.

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

I've made quite a bit of progress over the past couple of days. I've whitened the nylon, finished cleaning a few bits and almost completed assembly of the car. I must say this has been the most time consuming RC out of all my prior cars.

There are still a few minor things to do like order the wing nuts for the rear tires and order a wing. Other then that all that's really left to do is finish off the electronics and paint the body.

I need some retro inspiration for paint. I'm kind of leaning toward the Graphite box art paint scheme. I think it will really suit the old style body. What do you think?
Attachments
RC10 Runner 1.jpg
RC10 Runner 3.jpg
Elecs 1.jpg
Graphite Paint.jpg

RC10th
Approved Member

Re: I'm building a gold pan RC10 runner - WOIO

Post by RC10th »

I don't know if this story is getting any better or worse. As you may or may not know I'm in the hunt for a green label Reedy Modified motor, preferably a gold dot 19t. I know I had another RC10 sitting in a box that has a pre-cut body as I'm leary to cut this fresh one till I get a replacement for it.

I finally find said buggy and there is a green motor in it, hmmmm I think. I pull the motor out and it is a green label, but only a competion stock, damn. Do I run the stock till I can find a gold dot or similar wind? I was shocked to see that the Futaba M112B ESC was 100amp continuous, that means it will handle almost any motor !!! Pretty good for its time I think.

My runner is looking better than the buggy I pulled out of the box. :lol:

This body I have must be old as there is no protective film on it, shame to paint it but it's a bit scuffed from being taken on and off the other buggy so many times. The wrong shock tower didn't help things either.

This build is nearly complete now, just waiting on a transmitter and to dig up some NiCd batteries, an old timer charger, paint the body and then hit the track.

Speaking of, does anyone have a top shot of the graphite RC10?
Attachments
Surprising find I didn't know I had
Surprising find I didn't know I had
Starting to take shape
Starting to take shape
Updated pic of electronics to be installed
Updated pic of electronics to be installed

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

Which wing, big or small?

I can't decide which wing to run as one seems too small and the other too large. I'm leaning toward small as it's more "original", and that's what this car is about.

Nearly finished though, all electronics have been mounted. Just waiting on the transmitter to arrive and to find time to paint the body.

Then it's time to hit the track !!!
Attachments
Big wing
Big wing
Small wing
Small wing

marlo
Approved Member

Post by marlo »

Looks great, I would stick with the small wing.

SFC K
Approved Member

Post by SFC K »

marlo wrote:Looks great, I would stick with the small wing.
X2

Your runner looks great!
Jeff

85Edinger
Approved Member

Post by 85Edinger »

You should probably save the nylon knockoff nuts for display and get some steel 8-32 locknuts.
Great build. I don't think there are many period correct Rc10s racing modern cars. I tried doing something like this before I finally gave up on brushed motors.
. . . you have Associated Green Slime for brains. And not even new Green Slime, but old gooped out Green Slime.

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

Thanks all, the more I look at it the more I like the small wing.

I just got the wheel wing nuts in the mail yesterday as they are still available. The 3 pointed ones aren't as far as I'm aware. The small wings were on backorder.

I don't expect it to be fast enough as it only has a Reedy Competition Stock motor, I really wanted the Reedy Modifieds gold dot 19T but haven't come across a good used one yet.

My main goal is to finish the season using period correct goods and not come last. The spring wire and collar steering link is classic :lol: I'm not too worried about breaking it myself but do worry about getting plowed into by other drivers.

I'd love to build a competative stealth car but don't have the means at the moment to do so.