My gold pan [Runner Build]

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

teman
Approved Member

My gold pan [Runner Build]

Post by teman »

I bought this not too long ago to mess around with. Looks like the individual started dying the white parts black and then didn't finish :? Dispite that and a few missing parts, It's in pretty decent shape for it's age. I've procured some missing parts along with a new body and wing combo, still missing the servo mounts and the gear cover though. More to come soon! :D Photos for your viewing pleasure :mrgreen:
Photo06041025.jpg
Photo06041025_1.jpg
Photo06041026.jpg
-Kevin

Jedi Master
Approved Member

Re: My gold pan [Runner Build]

Post by Jedi Master »

Looks like a good place to start. :wink:
Do, or do not! There is no 'try'!
RC; Boats, Buggies, Trucks, Bash's, Racing and of course 'VINTAGE'!
My Ebay Feedback: http://feedback.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=jedimaster768&ftab=AllFeedback

vintage AE
Approved Member

Post by vintage AE »

some of the black parts could be replacement parts that came black. You might want to look at the rear mounts and see if they on the correct sides since they are supposed to toe in. They should have a L & R to indicate left or right. Keep ua posted on the progress :D

teman
Approved Member

Post by teman »

vintage AE wrote:some of the black parts could be replacement parts that came black...
No, unfortunately they're dyed along with the battery cup and antennae mount. Maybe I'll just dye the rest so it matches I don't know :roll:
vintage AE wrote:... You might want to look at the rear mounts and see if they on the correct sides since they are supposed to toe in. They should have a L & R to indicate left or right...
I'll check on that, thanks!
-Kevin

teman
Approved Member

Post by teman »

I worked on the car a bit today - cut/mounted/painted the body and rear wing. Installed my old futaba servo/receiver and the trinity 427 27t motor, I'm hoping tomorrow I'll get the new esc and install it also. Last little bit will be to design/cut the vinyls and get them on. Almost there, I haven't ran an off-road car in yeeaars :D
-Kevin

teman
Approved Member

Post by teman »

Worked on the buggy more last night, somethings wrong with the trans - runs like it's binding :roll: I guess I'm going to do a tear-down to see what's going on. If I post photos can someone help with the diagnosis?

I did also notice there's no stamp on this chassis, I was told it was an A stamp??? Does this mean it's an Edinger?
-Kevin

teman
Approved Member

Post by teman »

vintage AE wrote:... You might want to look at the rear mounts and see if they on the correct sides since they are supposed to toe in. They should have a L & R to indicate left or right. Keep ua posted on the progress :D
You are correct sir, they're on backwards :roll: Fixed now, thanks! :D

I did the tranny tear down and everything looks new, just missing one little teflon bushing that's causing the binding #6623.
I'm guessing the tranny was never assembled correctly thus the buggy didn't run right and chucked in a closet for 25 years or so :lol: If someone perhaps has a set let me know, otherwise I hae to deal with the ebay nazis :oops:
Snapshot 2011-06-29 16-55-39.jpg
-Kevin

teman
Approved Member

Post by teman »

I finally bought the bushing(s) I need for the tranny. I'm embarrassed to what I had to pay for them, but I do have them now. Tranny reassembly is in the works, hopefully things will go smoothly and I can get back to upgrades and replacing the god awful dyed parts among other things :D
-Kevin
-Kevin

RC10resto

Post by RC10resto »

I did also notice there's no stamp on this chassis, I was told it was an A stamp???
Sure you are looking in the right place? Behind the trans on the inside (top) of the chassis.

teman
Approved Member

Post by teman »

Yes, I was looking in the wrong place :oops: After I unbolted the tranny the "A" miraculously appeared :lol:
Photo08012150.jpg
-Kevin

teman
Approved Member

Post by teman »

I finally have the tranny put back together, no up/down shaft play now since the new bushing is in there now :roll: I added some bearings during surgery also :mrgreen: So far so good, no binding with the tranny internals and nothing seems to be damaged due to the previously missing part. 8)

At the moment the diff seems ok, but gearing is not right. I'll have to do some research and mess around with it since I don't know what the 32p 6653 spur or the 6659 pinion is/was to compare to what I received with the purchase. I currently have a 54, 48t spur in combo with a 14t pinion :?
-Kevin

teman
Approved Member

Post by teman »

Swapped to 48p spur/pinions and is running ok (but still alittle hot) there's a new LRP runner ESC and a Trinity Putnam Pro 27t installed. This and the other ESC's also received the Deans upgrade since I'm switching EVERYTHING over minus the motor connects. Eh almost there almost ready for some dirt runs then back to resto. :D

I'm also working on that novak cyclone you see there. When the missing parts arrive (power cap & receiver connector) I'll toss that in and see if things run better :mrgreen:
-Kevin
Photo07211824.jpg
-Kevin

teman
Approved Member

Post by teman »

A mellow off-road test run was today. I took it on some trails near me that some people made long ago for BMX & dirt bikes. It was fun but the buggy didn't go so well. The tranny seemed OK, but overall it was waaay underpowered with a 27t :oops: Hopefully I can procure a better lower turn motor so it will run more like it should :wink:

On a side note... I figured out why the rear suspension was dyed, he must've seen the "inside Cliff Letts winning cars" article. Makes sense now I suppose. :roll: I sill plan to get rid of dyed parts though, I think it looks dumb as it is now. :oops:
-Kevin
-Kevin

teman
Approved Member

Post by teman »

The Novak harness and power cap arrived today so the C2 is finished waiting for the brushed 15t motor I bought today. Hopefully it won't be too much for the ole 6 gear :wink: I'm guessing 2 min or whatever runtime with the silly old batteries I have :oops: :lol: The battery upgrades are coming eventually :wink:
Photo07251623.jpg
\
Photo07251648_2.jpg
motor.jpg
-Kevin

Jedi Master
Approved Member

Post by Jedi Master »

The C2 is a great ESC. I ran one in my Losi xxx-cr and it was a great performer with a Team Checkpoint 10x2 motor. :wink:
Do, or do not! There is no 'try'!
RC; Boats, Buggies, Trucks, Bash's, Racing and of course 'VINTAGE'!
My Ebay Feedback: http://feedback.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=jedimaster768&ftab=AllFeedback