Inexpensive but reliable 17.5 brushless

Brushless, lipo, spectrum, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

85Edinger
Approved Member

Inexpensive but reliable 17.5 brushless

Post by 85Edinger »

Hello all,
I have been trying to decide on a brushless system for Vonats next year. I have considered the Hobbyking 45a/17.5 combo, a MMP, MMP one cell, and the Brushless Hobbies esc. I think I have the motor pretty much narrowed down to a d3.5, but I'm having a hard time choosing an esc. The mmp looks good at $100 new off ebay, so with a d3.5 it would be about $160. I'm stuck between the one cell and standard versions.
I heard bad things about Brushless Hobbies customer service, and it doesn't seem like Hobbyking has any.
Any other ideas? The whole combo needs to come in at $160 or less. It needs to be reliable and backed up by good customer service. Timing and the ability to run motors down to 10.5 or lower would also be nice.
I considered the Novak GTB, but I've heard it has some issues.
This is going in an Rc10 6 gear.
. . . you have Associated Green Slime for brains. And not even new Green Slime, but old gooped out Green Slime.

JK Racing

Re: Inexpensive but reliable 17.5 brushless

Post by JK Racing »

I have 2 brushless hobbies speedos, 80amp versions. I personally have not heard of any 80amp failures, mostly the 120amp versions. I even asked that question on rctech with zero responses. I have personally been a novak guy for many years, but have ventured out more than a few times to test the waters :)

Novak has a clubman system that is right @ 120, but only run 17.5, not rated for anything hotter.
http://www.shopatron.com/products/productdetail/Novak+Club+Sensored+Brushless+System-17.5T/part_number=3330/135.0.1.1.151.1007756.0.0.0?pp=10&

Next step up does take hotter motors, but hits your limit of 160
http://www.shopatron.com/products/productdetail/EDGE+2S+/Ballistic+540+Brushless+Systems/part_number=333X/135.0.1.1.151.1007756.0.0.0?pp=10&

Speed Passions Citrix sportsman system, very inexpensive, heard mixed reviews (not available in the link, will need to search for it)
http://www.speedpassion.net/en/productDetails.asp?p=SP000053&c=CMB

You dont want the 1 cell version of any speedo, that is for pan car that uses a 1 cell lipo, not sure if any of them work with 2 cell lipos.
--Joey --
Vintage A&L and Factory Works
Old School Racer & Vintage RC Car nut
JKRacingRC.com

85Edinger
Approved Member

Post by 85Edinger »

Thanks for the reply.
The name is misleading, but the mmp one cell can run off 1-6s lipo. It also has no fan and no bec. I was looking at it because I have heard of problems with the standard mmp's bec.
As long as the failure rate's reasonably low, I'm more concerned about customer service and warranty. The way I see it, there will always be a few bad ones. If I get a bad one, I want it replaced free of charge. I've heard stories of Stan treating customers badly. Anyone care to comment?
That Novak Edge has the sort of specs and price I'm interested in. I definitely like the trx connector, I run those on all my cars ( but I can solder.) How's the Novak's reliability and performane compared to an mmp/d3.5 combo?
If that Speed Passion is what I think it is, it has no adjustability, no timing, and is discontinued. I think it was a mildly popular handout system.
. . . you have Associated Green Slime for brains. And not even new Green Slime, but old gooped out Green Slime.

JK Racing

Post by JK Racing »

take it as you may, but since i am somewhat local to novak, when i need service (which is only a trade in program) i drive over there and wait in the lobby. i have never had to use the warranty with novak, but i have used the warranty with Castle, shipping back and forth took some time, but the speedo was replaced free (except my "to them" shipping, as expected).
--Joey --
Vintage A&L and Factory Works
Old School Racer & Vintage RC Car nut
JKRacingRC.com

85Edinger
Approved Member

Post by 85Edinger »

I'm probably just going to get the Novak Edge. I don't see anything better for the price. Anyone have issues with these?
On the other hand, the price and features of the bh80 are hard to resist. Does anybody have experience with their customer service?

Y'ernat Al
Approved Member

Post by Y'ernat Al »

Look into the Dualsky / Track and Field stuff (at CK Hobby....http://www.ckhobby.com/shop/?controller=category&path=110_112_139).

I have one of the 17.5 Z5 motors and it has impressed me, and the prices are reasonable. The company (Dualsky) has evidently been around a while making airplane stuff, but they're entry into terrestrial stuff (the Track and Field label) is relatively new. Can't speak with firsthand experience on the ESC's, but I'm going to try one out the day one of my Novaks dumps on me.
- Brian -

My Gallery

85Edinger
Approved Member

Post by 85Edinger »

How do you know it's going to "dump on you"? I don't like the sound of that! :shock:
Edit: that link is to sensorless 13.5 and 10.5 combos. I found the 17.5 sensored, though. At $72, what does it have on a d3.5 or a Speed Passion motor?
The ESC looks nice! $85 for a sensored 400 amp burst esc?
Anyone have experience with this one?

kfeldt
Approved Member

Post by kfeldt »

85Edinger wrote:I'm probably just going to get the Novak Edge. I don't see anything better for the price. Anyone have issues with these?
On the other hand, the price and features of the bh80 are hard to resist. Does anybody have experience with their customer service?
I've heard that some people have had issues with Novak stuff, but I've been running my Edge and Ballistic 13.5 nearly daily all Summer with no problems.

- Keith

85Edinger
Approved Member

Post by 85Edinger »

Wouldn't the gtb2 be better than the Edge? It's pretty much the same price and has a lower motor limit. Space is not a problem in my buggy. Is x drive worth the money? The Tower discount puts the gtb2 x drive back in my price range.
At the same price, the mmp has dynamic timing/cheat mode and can also be a bashing esc. That's hard to ignore.
Although, Novak being one of the only companies that makes bl systems in the us must count for something. . .
Even the Track and Field has dynamic timing.
Are Vonats 17.5 classes Blinky?
Edit: okay, I saw the rules. Timing and boost are allowed.

Hcp22
Approved Member

Post by Hcp22 »

I feel I have a million questions sins I never have run with brushless motors. And if I go though the tech forum I might found answers to my questions. But sins “85Edinger” already popped the question… :mrgreen:

I also look for a brushless sensored combo 17.5 that can be adjusted to be smooth against old cars like the Scorpion and RC10 6 gear. I image this is more lenient and maintenance free compared with 27x1 brush’t motor.
So which is the best combo guys?
Cheers
Lars

My Feedback

kaiser
Approved Member

Post by kaiser »

i have an issue with "budget" 17.5 systems, the esc's all seem ok but the motors are weak.

get a hobbywing 60amp xerun esc and a good 17.5. novak still makes the ss 17.5, tried and true motor.
the xerun's are great esc's, you don't need the 120amp for 17.5 to mild brushless (i've run 10.5 and 8.5 on mine with no issues)
with a 17.5 you don't even need to use the fan.

other then that the gtb2's seem ok, i just hate the way a novak programs.
speed passions are good, but just rebranded hobbywings, same with brushlesshobbies or whatever they are called.
heck even the high and mighty orion r10 is a rebranded hobbywing.

personally i went tekin and never looked back, i just love the stuff, although i still run the hobbywing in a few 17.5 spec cars and i got a lrp sxx zero on a whim (had $$ in my pocket and it was on sale).

85Edinger
Approved Member

Post by 85Edinger »

Interesting, the bh 80 amp is cheaper than the xerun 60a.
Any reason to choose the Hobbywing over it's evil twin?
Are the BH/ Orion/Speed Passion esc's actually Hobbywing clones? I thought all those companies, including Hobbywing, just bought from the same oem.
Is it just me, or are Hobbypartz prices creeping up?
Are Turningy Trackstar motors any good? I've heard mixed reports.

kaiser
Approved Member

Post by kaiser »

the first time i saw a speed passion esc i said to the guy that owned it (sponsered speed passion driver) "that looks just like the hobbywing", he said it was the same but speed passion writes it's own software. so SP software can be used for both SP & HW.
recently on rctech someone "fessed" up that the r10 was a hw product. it kind of all makes sense, some of the hearsay may or may not be 100% true, but the recent emergence of other clones kinda provides more evidence. look at hpi's esc's, all HW too.

the trackstar motors seem a little low on kv. for example a typical 17.5 is between 2200 and 2500 kv but the track start is around 1900 IIRC.
thats why i recomend a HW esc paired with a proven 17.5 motor like a novak, tekin, lrp, thunderpower, murffdogg, just to name a few.

with the xerun 60amp paired with a novak ss 17.5 my jrx2 is a wheelie machine if i'm not carefull, it's a great combo on a budget.

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

HW has OEM'ed for a lot of companies so far...

but then there are few "clones" , not made by HW. BH, and a couple of others it seems. some of them have issues, some don't.

HW undercut their customers SP by a significant price margin... but the clones don't undercut HW by much. For the savings involved, I'd still go with a genuine HW.

60A Xerun 2.0 or 2.1, or Xtreme stock, should be more than plenty for 17.5 (I run xtreme stock on 8.5 or 9.5 on 10.5 in 2wd). Get a HW mill and you're set for ages :)

SP and HW software are similar with some designed "incompatibilities" (the order of the parameters for instance) to prevent porting - which can be done anyway ;)

I dunno dualsky but I've only read good stuff about them.

Now if you just want to goof around ezrun might actually be plenty enough... just use a bit of expo on the radio and you'll be all set with like less than $70 or so.

Paul
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

I'll throw another option out there, and that would be a takeout associated esc from a rtr b4 or t4, etc. the sc700, I'm not exactly sure how it compares spec wise, but at least it's an associated endorsed product.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Team-Associated-SC700-BL-Brushless-ESC-Speed-Control-Water-Resistant-2s-3s-/120885744288?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c255a12a0