Want to try brushless

Brushless, lipo, spectrum, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

mikem65d
Approved Member

Want to try brushless

Post by mikem65d »

I’ve slowly jumped back into RC buggies and am currently putting a Kyosho Turbo Optima together.
I’d like to go brushless, but don’t want to go all out just yet. Lol, I did say “yet”, and with me that usually means I will end up spending a lot anyways.
I have a good understanding of brushless through the airplane and helicopter flying I’ve done over the last 15 years, but never messed with any programming.

The new systems I see available for us car guys is just awesome..

I was thinking about starting out with the Turnigy Trackstar 80a Esc/13T combo you find at Hobbyking. I figure if I end up letting smoke out on it I’m not too many peso’s down.

I would really like to hear from you guys on whether or not I am heading in the right direction so far.
I won’t be doing any racing for a while, just bashing.

Thx
Mike

jwscab

Re: Want to try brushless

Post by jwscab »

I have three turnigy trackstar combos running right now and they work great. I'm using them with 17.5 motors, but no issue, very quiet and smooth. I have not pushed them very hard and they run cool, I think I need to experiment with gearing up.

definitely get the programming module, it's very easy to setup, I had to adjust the brakes and the punch out of the gate as they are pretty dialed down.

mikem65d
Approved Member

Post by mikem65d »

jwscab wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:06 pm I have three turnigy trackstar combos running right now and they work great. I'm using them with 17.5 motors, but no issue, very quiet and smooth. I have not pushed them very hard and they run cool, I think I need to experiment with gearing up.

definitely get the programming module, it's very easy to setup, I had to adjust the brakes and the punch out of the gate as they are pretty dialed down.
Thank you.....I was wondering if i shouldn't go with the 17.5T as well. I'm want that punch out effect.

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

+1 on the Trackstar combo's and programmer , the punch being fairly low is kinder to old gearboxes without a slipper clutch to protect them but that's personal choice, its good to have so many adjustments on hand .
1 punch can give a soft or aggressive start
2 breaks can be dialed up or down
3 timing can be adjusted electronically
4 turbo , this is an additional kick of timing that comes on at full throttle only and after an adjustable delay .
For me on vintage cars dialing down the punch and having adjustable breaks are the most useful .
If a jobs not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

mikem65d
Approved Member

Post by mikem65d »

Dadio wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:00 am +1 on the Trackstar combo's and programmer , the punch being fairly low is kinder to old gearboxes without a slipper clutch to protect them but that's personal choice, its good to have so many adjustments on hand .
1 punch can give a soft or aggressive start
2 breaks can be dialed up or down
3 timing can be adjusted electronically
4 turbo , this is an additional kick of timing that comes on at full throttle only and after an adjustable delay .
For me on vintage cars dialing down the punch and having adjustable breaks are the most useful .
Hi Dadio,
Thx for the input. You also answered one of my questions on timing.
I am also amazed at what we get for the price.

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

Share and enjoy.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

Boost it up and watch it fly into the stratosphere !!!!!
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

Additionally with punch and timing you can have a soft start that's nice for old gears and a load of timing and turbo to give you silly fast , that's before you start changing pinions , tuning the breaks to be progressive and not lock up the wheels is also great .
The 17.5t motors are a little more powerful than a well tuned brushed motor , 13.5t is quite a bit more powerful and unless you have a slipper then you want the punch turned down , lower turns are just light years ahead of any old school motor , my highly modded Dogfighter 834b has a custom slipper and I fitted a 10.5t trackstar motor and its silly fast !

mikem65d
Approved Member

Post by mikem65d »

Dadio wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:44 am Additionally with punch and timing you can have a soft start that's nice for old gears and a load of timing and turbo to give you silly fast , that's before you start changing pinions , tuning the breaks to be progressive and not lock up the wheels is also great .
The 17.5t motors are a little more powerful than a well tuned brushed motor , 13.5t is quite a bit more powerful and unless you have a slipper then you want the punch turned down , lower turns are just light years ahead of any old school motor , my highly modded Dogfighter 834b has a custom slipper and I fitted a 10.5t trackstar motor and its silly fast !
Finally got time to test the Trackstar 13.5T out...................all i can say is Insane :lol:

ChaosKevin

Post by ChaosKevin »

Dadio wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:00 am
I have a non-turbo Trackstar SCT-120 and have been very pleased with it. Always wondered about the "turbo" version and what that meant exactly. Happy to read that its not just marketing BS. Its only a matter of time before I need another one and I will be considering the turbo-type.

I have also been pretty satisfied with the GoolRC branded ESCs. Not as feature-packed as the trackstars but really cheap.

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

Boost normally means increasing timing up to full throttle, so you essentially get more and more power as you squeeze the throttle.

Turbo generally increases timing beyond full throttle, so when your flat out it continues to ramp even more timing into the motor making the car continue to accelerate beyond full throttle.

The beauty of a system like this is that you can run a really mild motor that is smooth and easy to drive but still run like a scalded ape. The best way to set turbo is to test it with a short delay so you can hear it kick in, once you have it set to your liking turn the delay off and then you won't even notice it kick in, the throttle will feel just as linear as without turbo.
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !