It's alive, now with PICS!

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Luckyracing
Approved Member

It's alive!

Post by Luckyracing »

Over 2 months after finding my childhood RC10 in the attic she is on the streets again! I couldn't have done it without this board, ebay, google, and Johnnie Walker. Thanks for all of the help and encouragement.

From 1988 until 2012 this run has been a long time coming!

OGRC10T
Approved Member

Re: It's alive!

Post by OGRC10T »

Congrats man, i agree this board is great help and motivation...

Have Fun !!

Do you got any finished product pics or a build thread ??
Fluorescent Green Tub RC10T 7011
RC10 Gold Pan Currently in rebuild http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=28082
HPI RS4 Pro2
HPI RS4 Pro2 Rally

RC12R5.1 for Sale http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=28260

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

Luckyracing wrote:Over 2 months after finding my childhood RC10 in the attic she is on the streets again! I couldn't have done it without this board, ebay, google, and Johnnie Walker. Thanks for all of the help and encouragement.

From 1988 until 2012 this run has been a long time coming!
Got any pics? We'd love to see it. If it's a beater we'd still like to see it. :wink: Any and all r/c cars are welcome here. Kinda like leaving a bar at 3 a.m. when you're 21... an ugly one is better than none at all. :mrgreen:
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

Winger
Approved Member

Post by Winger »

pics would be cool...love to see

Luckyracing
Approved Member

It's alive, now with PICS!

Post by Luckyracing »

Sorry for the tease last week, but I was able to take some pics of my restored RC10 to share with the board.

So after many months of hunting down parts on ebay, I finally have an RC10 that will actually run under her own power. I broke her down to pieces, cleaned all the nylon with ajax and a tooth brush first then peroxide in the sun for a day. They came out amazing. Next I replaced all of the bushings with bearings from Avid. Found some black idlers in exchange for a small piece of my derriere and put the 6 gear in top form (at least on the inside.) It turned out my Futaba m112ESC was smoked, so I purchased a $10 Chinese ESC( with SUPER reverse!) One day I'll find an older Novak or Tekin for the right price for her, another $50+ wasn't in the budget. (which the wife continually reminds me I could buy that wicked short course truck I would love to go racing with instead of all the ten bucks at a time slow bleed this build has done to me!) But this was THE defining rc car of my childhood. Probably responsible for screwing me up in innumerable ways.
She's as close to stock as I think will hold up. When I found her, she had an updated wide(r!, but not by today's standards!) track front suspension and some brand Ti turnbuckles with RPM ball cups. I have the narrow original control arms but no tie rods to use them with. If she becomes a shelf queen I might put the originals on but I remember the stock white ball cups be notoriously crappy and the tie rods would bend if you looked at them wrong. I am enjoying driving her and will probably continue to do so until I purchase a "real" something to actually go race. The only piece I am really missing at this point is a gear cover. Turns out the T4 one I bought won't work.

The original 54 tooth 32 pitch spur is shot and the diff slips a lot under acceleration. I purchased a Trinity SpeedGems double ruby 19t brushed motor and it seems to move her along pretty well with a 15 tooth pinion. I think 16 or 17 would be perfect but would have to see what the run times/heat would look (feel) like. I think the next step would be to purchase a Kimbrough 48p spur with some new balls in it. I think somebody recommended 81t, I guess I'll start there. I guess that works out to a 22 to 24 tooth 48p pinion, I'll have to get out the old calculator and do some figuren'.

The shocks seem to work reasonably well and do not leak but I have no idea what is inside of them(and yes, something is inside of them, no idea what it is beyond "oil") She has purple springs in the front and red in the back. They feel awful soft, could somebody point me to a spring guide to help me figure out what I have here? I think I want to go significantly stiffer on the springs and put in new oil to match the springs. The local track has some enormous jumps and I'm contemplating running her around it for fun one of these days.

She's no show queen, not terribly fast, not even an original example of the rc10. But she's all mine, and so is the $hit eating grin I have every time she zips by my toes.

Cheers, JD

RC104ever
Approved Member

Re: It's alive, now with PICS!

Post by RC104ever »

Thanks for sharing. I was in your spot about a year ago then bit the bullet and went lipo and brushless. Wow, I can't believe I waited this long! Now everything is stupid fast, lasts forever and I get crazy range with the 2.4 ghz radio.

Enjoy the ride - this is just the beginning!
- Chris
Lots of cars...so many cars

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Re: It's alive, now with PICS!

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

Noyce! I'm a little hungry for syrup after seeing those Waffles. :mrgreen:
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken