My XX runner build

The place for all things Losi.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

aradaiel
Approved Member

My XX runner build

Post by aradaiel »

I picked up this XX on RC tech. Got it for $30 shipped, so I figured I'd take the parts I need and sell the rest on E-bay. When I disassembled it, I found it was in pretty decent shape. It looks like it wasn't run much but when it was assembled the bushings weren't soaked in oil and they used minimal grease.

It looks like it's been stored in a saltwater fish tank for the last 10 years.

I've decided to build it and run it during practice at the track.

My goals with this guy are to get it running, using 22 wheels and tires (I run a 22 normally) for under $100 (roller only). I think it's very possible at this point.

I disassembled it and found that someone decided that melting an on-off switch to the chassis was the best way to mount it. :roll:

I pried it off and trimmed and dremmel'd the chassis, but it looks like they glued everything to the chassis with CA. I've got to figure out a way to remove the glue from the chassis without dremeling and marring the chassis too bad.

I sanded the diff rings, re-built the diff and it was suprisingly good. The thrust bearing was completely dry and the diff was dry as well. With the re-build the diff is suprisingly good.

I re-built the trans with new boca bearings. I can't believe the difference in running bearings and bushings. No wonder they had such terrible run time. Bearings for front hubs are on order, I didn't have enough in my spare parts.

Ok, now for the 22 wheel situation.
Rears:
Plastic XXX-SCT hexes were a direct fit in the rear. I had a set from my SC and they mounted right up. That was almost too easy. I just need to get some thicker wheel nuts, my driver won't go in the wheel far enough to completely tighten them.

Fronts:
The wheels rub against the toe rod end. I ordered some trinity wide track width front axles to help with that. Hopefully there won't need to be a ton of shimming or modification. They should be coming later this week.

I still need to get a wire for the wing and some wing retainers. Does anyone know if these will fit or work?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Team-Associated-Losi-X-X-X-Buggy-Ft-Blue-Super-Wing-Thing-2-ASC6193B-/150755958807?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2319c16017

I'm trying to find a wing wire stateside but I might need to get one from europe, I found a couple over there.

I need to get a body as well, that shouldn't be too hard.

I've got a trans brace I need to move over from my shelfer xxtcr until I can order another one.

As for electronics, It's getting a tekin RS and a trinity d2 17.5. Spektrumn reciever for my KO radio. Ill be using an orion lipo.

JK Racing

Re: My XX runner build

Post by JK Racing »

aradaiel wrote:Ok, now for the 22 wheel situation.
Rears:
Plastic XXX-SCT hexes were a direct fit in the rear. I had a set from my SC and they mounted right up. That was almost too easy. I just need to get some thicker wheel nuts, my driver won't go in the wheel far enough to completely tighten them.

Fronts:
The wheels rub against the toe rod end. I ordered some trinity wide track width front axles to help with that. Hopefully there won't need to be a ton of shimming or modification. They should be coming later this week.
I did the 22 wheel "upgrade" on my JRX car, for the rear I used some Traxxas hexes and had some older wheel nuts that were smaller (I had the same issue, wheel nut almost too large for the recess), but I dont know where/when I got them. The nut is 5/16" with 10/32 threads.

The trinity or standard XXX wide axles should be good, just run the spacer on the hex side to move the wheel out some.
--Joey --
Vintage A&L and Factory Works
Old School Racer & Vintage RC Car nut
JKRacingRC.com

aradaiel
Approved Member

Post by aradaiel »

Very cool, thanks for the information.

I went to the LHS today and found that a duratrax buggy wing wire and buttons will work. $3

They also had a battery strap for a XX so I'm thinking about doing that, instead of straps but I need a new mount over the servo.

I also need a spur cover. There is one on ebay, but I'm not paying $8 shipping.

I ordered a body off ebay so she should be running by the end of the week. (Hopefully)

If anyone has any ideas about the CA on the chassis, I'd like to hear it.

I've got some CA adhesive remover I got from the LHS but it's not working. I even soaked a green scrubby pad and went over it to no avail.

JK Racing

Post by JK Racing »

not sure how acetone would react on the chassis, but that is how i unglue tires from wheels.

the XXCR battery strap is great, much easier than the velcro straps
--Joey --
JKRacingRC.com

aradaiel
Approved Member

Post by aradaiel »

Where do you get it? I'm having a hard time finding nail polish with it in it.

JK Racing

Post by JK Racing »

i usually look for it where the nail polish remover is, can find 100% acetone there. local walmart
--Joey --
JKRacingRC.com

adam lancia
Approved Member

Post by adam lancia »

Just about any hardware store with have 100% acetone in the paint section.

aradaiel
Approved Member

Post by aradaiel »

adam lancia wrote:Just about any hardware store with have 100% acetone in the paint section.

Cool, I'll check home depo on the way home. My grocery store didn't have it. Thanks again

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Automotive stores (or departments) will also often have smaller cans of acetone, look in the auto paints section.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3