Recapturing a childhood memory

The place for all things Losi.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

JK Racing

Re: Recapturing a childhood memory

Post by JK Racing »

bearrickster wrote:Brandons Bodys are so close you cant tell them from the original's
I can 2nd that!
--Joey --
Vintage A&L and Factory Works
Old School Racer & Vintage RC Car nut
JKRacingRC.com

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

JK Racing wrote:
bearrickster wrote:Brandons Bodys are so close you cant tell them from the original's
I can 2nd that!
Thirded :mrgreen:

Am I correct in believing that they are pulled from the original mould? If so, his shell's aren't strickly speaking repros at all!?

madweazl
Approved Member

Post by madweazl »

Been quite a while since I made any updates but I ended up scoring a never run JRX Pro off of ebay a while back and just got around to working on it again. Whomever put it together was probably pretty young; most of ballstuds are pretty chewed up as are a couple screws, and the ballcups. On the plus side, it had all of the electronics included. The Wing and motor cover had never been cut out but the original body was mission. I have the original decals, window mask, along with manuals and original stickers to the speed control and receiver.

The bell cranks have a crack at the steering link and the antenna mount has a crack from being over tightened as well. Today I rebuilt the shocks (2 of the pistons looked like they went threw a meat grinder but I had spares from the car posted in the beginning of this thread), finished bending the wing wire, cut and drilled the wing and gear cover (repros, hanging on to the originals), and soldered up a B&R motor. I had a Revolution on hand that I was going to drop into it but I had a B&R Bullet in mine back in the day and just couldnt resist. My car had the original 5 spokes as well but these are in perfect condition so I've kept them on there (my car was a prototype of the Pro).

I'll start searching for an antenna mount and new bellcrank (servo side) along with getting it cleaned up.

biff85ta
Approved Member

Post by biff85ta »

I am pretty sure I have some NIP bellcranks. Hit me up with a PM and I am sure we can work something out.
"It is not how you finish but how you qualify unless you qualify bad then it is how you finish."
Words of wisdom from the Cox bros at my local track.

madweazl
Approved Member

Post by madweazl »

That would be fantastic!

madweazl
Approved Member

Post by madweazl »

I was looking at some other pictures of Pros and they have the thinner black spring collars. Mine came with those but I didnt recognize them so I installed the considerably larger grey colored collars (what my car had when I got it in 89). Are the thinner black ones correct (they came in the box but I thought were maybe from a different car he just tossed them on)? 3 of them tighten up fine but one does not even though it isnt damaged. Supposed I could file down a bit of plastic to get a tighter fit from it.

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

The box art car has the thin (x2 and early JRX-t) collars, but I can't say I've ever seen a JRX-pro with the servo hole with them, but....you were rocking some rear JRX-proformance rear purple springs (on the front) and those cars regularly had them, since they were converted X2's - so maybe the guy/kid had a different car before that one?

madweazl
Approved Member

Post by madweazl »

I doubt there were any other cars that parts were sourced from as it came in the original box with the warranty card (I'll check that for any identifying marks but I doubt there are any) and it was fairly obvious that whomever built it, was probably building a car for the first time. This is in reference to the last picture I posted. The car was pretty much completely assemble; the wing wire had to be cleaned up (little mangled), the buttons were still on the trees, and the original wing and gear cover were still uncut. Anything is possible and you guys know a ton more than I do.

As for the springs, the last pic has the front springs from a donor car (the first pic in this thread) until I can figure out how to clean up the colored springs that were on the one I just finished up (paint is flaking really bad). I cant tell if they were purple or black to tell the truth. Some parts look purple but it could be faded black :/ Hmm, box art had purples on the back?

Bormac
Approved Member

Post by Bormac »

Brilliant back story in regards to your earliest involvement with R/C and for a kid you certainly did it in great style.
The JRX PRO is a very reliable and competitive vintage racer and whilst it's nice to have a sweet one on the shelf it's also a great car for the track. I hope you get around to enjoying both.
More power to you mate. Good stuff.
Cheers-Jason
-Jason.

Still known as- bormac

My collection-http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom.asp?id=10980

madweazl
Approved Member

Post by madweazl »

biff85ta wrote:I am pretty sure I have some NIP bellcranks. Hit me up with a PM and I am sure we can work something out.
Thank you, super excited (let me know if I didnt add enough to cover fees)! Now if I could get the lower portion of the antenna mount I'd be set for a bit. Ideally, I'll find ball cups, ballstuds, various screws and nuts to replace the items that were chewed up by the original owner but I'm not complaining! How hard is it to find shock cartridges?

biff85ta
Approved Member

Post by biff85ta »

xxx cartridges fit but do not look correct. You also need to use spacers on either side to keep travel correct.
"It is not how you finish but how you qualify unless you qualify bad then it is how you finish."
Words of wisdom from the Cox bros at my local track.

fredswain
Approved Member

Post by fredswain »

biff85ta wrote:xxx cartridges fit but do not look correct. You also need to use spacers on either side to keep travel correct.
They don't leak like the originals though! I replaced all of my originals with them.
Raborn Racing Originals Shapeways store

madweazl
Approved Member

Post by madweazl »

biff85ta wrote:I am pretty sure I have some NIP bellcranks. Hit me up with a PM and I am sure we can work something out.
They made it all the way out to Okinawa Japan today :) And there were even a couple bonus items; thanks a bunch!