Reliving my childhood....

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

CTYankee
Approved Member

Reliving my childhood....

Post by CTYankee »

Yes, another of those middle aged guys with an itch to have some fun from his youth again. My parents shipped my my old box of RC stuff. I still remember the excitement when I got this baby back in 1986. 25 years later I'm probably just as excited. Only difference is I now have more than a few bucks a week to spend on it. However probably not as much time...and a wife to get annoyed when it and its parts take up too much space in the house...and less parts to choose from. Still fun.

What I know about it:
  • Documents are from 1986, but have the Cadilac address
  • Chasis is stamped, looks like an "A", I have not removed the motor yet.
  • All Original, except I did put the wide steering arms up front (have the originals)
  • Orignal body is mia, did get a new one and will paint that up
Has a Futaba MC 112B ESC, also from late 80s so probably can't handle much of a motor. I would like to upgrade the motor to something with a little more punch to it. Won't race it, just want to have some fun in the street, jumping, and some small off road track runs in my friends back yard. So thinking something with more low end torque and acceleration than top end speed. I can find lots of suggestions on such motor...actually finding these motors is another matter altogether.

Having fun already, but looking forward to getting it spiffied up and running better than ever.

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Re: Reliving my childhood....

Post by Charlie don't surf »

Welcome to 10talk!

soniccj5
Approved Member

Post by soniccj5 »

Welcome to rc10talk. You will find everything you need to know about RC-10s here.

I am sure you will have another RC-10 before July is over :D

ED

kaiser
Approved Member

Post by kaiser »

welcome to 10talk!

and welcome to your new addiction.

where in ct are you from? the vintage off road nationals are in waterbury in september.

i started reliving my childhood back in 05, 20+ cars later i'm still reliving. lol

slapshot1979
Approved Member

Post by slapshot1979 »

Welcome to the largest collection of ppl who are reliving their childhoods :lol:
Its nice you still had the same car that you had all those years ago, while I cant speak for everyone, almost all mine where traded/sold away. only to look/scour for a replacement later on. Tons of great information on here and a great bunch who are always willing to pitch-in.
Sleeps with a night light on, not because he's scared of the dark but because the dark is scared of him...........stay thirsty my friends

soniccj5
Approved Member

Post by soniccj5 »

kaiser wrote:where in ct are you from? the vintage off road nationals are in waterbury in september.

If you are near the track you will have to stop in. Great time for both racers and spectators.

I started to collect/restore my old cars and was happy with leaving them on the shelf Thanks to the VONATS I got the racing bug again and built a car specifically for that race. Now I frequent my local track and purchased a short course truck.

CTYankee
Approved Member

Post by CTYankee »

Thanks everyone, this site has already been a great resource. It is very tempting to jump into one of the new systems, and just keep this one vintage. I've been watching YouTube videos of these new cars and how well they perform. Impressive. Not that I intend to race, maybe just have one that I can play around with more than the RC10. Not sure the wife would allow it....but she did say I could get an RC airplane. Maybe another car would seem less impractical. Not sure as it would be #3. Also have my original Super Sabre.
kaiser wrote:
where in ct are you from? the vintage off road nationals are in waterbury in september.
I'm in Pasadena, CA now. Still looking for a track or other place to drive. I need to get more practice first. Still a little rusty at the controls.

Tonights task, rebuild the transmission and clean the motor. Transmission feels very smooth so not sure i need to do much. Was up until 1am working on the suspension and steering. Anyone know any tricks to keep them from leaking at the top? I tried o-rings, but it was too big and I could not get the top cap on.

badattitude
Approved Member

Post by badattitude »

these orings are for the associated shocks

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LX2605&P=7

also, these are the orings for the shock shaft

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LX2594&P=M

Then of course you need more oil

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LX3305&P=M

it never ends but sure is fun, Good luck

CTYankee
Approved Member

Post by CTYankee »

soniccj5 wrote: I am sure you will have another RC-10 before July is over :D
ED
Well no...August. Looking for an RC10T to use for parts and make a more new/old build and keep this one stock most likely. Though my wife did ask when the makeshift workbench would be gone (kitchen counter). ummmmmm.... at least I do all the cooking.

JK Racing

Post by JK Racing »

CTYankee wrote:I'm in Pasadena, CA now.
If it is tracks you are looking for (welcome to southern California :mrgreen: )....Hot Rod Hobbies in Saugus/Santa Clarita is probably your closest/best bet (I ran my gold pan there a couple times earlier this year), moving more towards Orange County, you have West Coast (La Mirada, nice indoor) and OCRC (Huntington Beach, nice indoor) and for practice only (I have never seen a formal race there), LRH (Placentia, small indoor).

There is Pegasus (outdoor, Montclair), Revelations (large nitro outdoor, Ontario), Thunder Alley (large nitro outdoor, Beaumont), Airland (Hemet, coming soon indoor), Milestone (large nitro outdoor, Riverside), Palm Desert Raceway (outdoor, Palm Desert), Coyote Hobbies (indoor, Victorville)...I'm sure others that I am forgetting also, all within a few hours drive of you.

Get those things rolling and have a blast!!
--Joey --
Vintage A&L and Factory Works
Old School Racer & Vintage RC Car nut
JKRacingRC.com

CTYankee
Approved Member

Post by CTYankee »

JK Racing wrote:
CTYankee wrote:I'm in Pasadena, CA now.
If it is tracks you are looking for (welcome to southern California :mrgreen: )....Hot Rod Hobbies in Saugus/Santa Clarita is probably your closest/best bet (I ran my gold pan there a couple times earlier this year), moving more towards Orange County, you have West Coast (La Mirada, nice indoor) and OCRC (Huntington Beach, nice indoor) and for practice only (I have never seen a formal race there), LRH (Placentia, small indoor).

There is Pegasus (outdoor, Montclair), Revelations (large nitro outdoor, Ontario), Thunder Alley (large nitro outdoor, Beaumont), Airland (Hemet, coming soon indoor), Milestone (large nitro outdoor, Riverside), Palm Desert Raceway (outdoor, Palm Desert), Coyote Hobbies (indoor, Victorville)...I'm sure others that I am forgetting also, all within a few hours drive of you.

Get those things rolling and have a blast!!
Thanks, Hot Rod Hobbies looks like a great spot to check out next time I head up that way. Of course I really need to work on my driving....and jumping. 25 years of neglect didn't hurt the car nearly as much as 25 years of no driving might if I were to get too crazy too soon!

longboardnj
Approved Member

Post by longboardnj »

kaiser wrote:welcome to 10talk!

and welcome to your new addiction.

i started reliving my childhood back in 05, 20+ cars later i'm still reliving. lol
hahaha so true....i started reliving my childhood back in the day when ebay had good deals , 60+ cars later i'm still reliving.

rhino1
Approved Member

Post by rhino1 »

You can never have to many rc cars! I have over 30 now and keep on adding more. Every time I see a car from my youth I have to have it.. There is nothing better than restroring a childhood memory.
Those are my toys and no I will not share!

CTYankee
Approved Member

Re: Reliving my childhood....(updated with picture and specs

Post by CTYankee »

I've since made a few changes. Getting the modern wheels took a few parts...then a few more...then a few more. Here is a detailed list for any who want to do it:
Front:
-B4 inline steering blocks
-GT wide axels
-J Concepts Rulux Wheels
-bearings 3/16 x 3/8 (4) non-flanged
-Dirt Hawg tires

Rear
-B4 rear carriers (bored out to fit) (part #9584)
-3/16 x 3/8 bearings (4) non-flanged
-b4 rear axel (#9670)
-3/16 shims (thin allow ones)
-Wheel spacer (#9608B)
-3/16 lug nuts
-B4 drive pins
-J Concepts wheels
-Dirt Hawg tires

I had to move the shots in a bit on the lower arm to allow for enough clearance. The main issue with this setup is the dog bones are now too long. The B4 carriers make the rear wider (needed for the wheels to fit because of the offset....they are much closer to the body than most wheels). The dog bones were not too short...my local shop told me to use some fuel line. They cut me off a few inches and just handed it to me. I put about 2mm in each outdrive and axel and there is room for them to have some play, but they don't fall out. Its also soft enough that under full shock compression there is give as the dog bone press up against them.

After driving it a bit the stock motor got hot. REALLY hot. This was using a 13T pinion. Aperently the greater strain on the motor from the bigger and heavier wheels was too much...or its just a worn out motor. It was also pretty slow and lacked punch. So...picked up a 3000kv brushless kit from EZRun. Dropped that in there and wow...what a difference. I also replaced the spur gear with the 48p 81t Kimbrough (http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXS463) and put a 15T pinion on it. What a difference! Not only is it much faster accelerating, but the speed control is so much better. I was using my old Futaba from 25 years ago. This one allows me to control coasting resistance, braking, acceleration, and more. Driving it feels so much better. Being able to adjust the braking and coasting settings makes a huge difference in steering and overall control. That alone was with the $58. Top it off with a motor that really makes this move so much faster than stock and I'm a happy camper. Modern electronics are really worth it!

The 6 gear trans does not seem to mind the new motor. Gave it a good hard workout and it ran and sounded great. I've not opened it up, but it feels just as smooth as when I rebuilt it. I do have a few extra idler gears just in case!

I like the look of the modern wheels, and the difference in the modern ESC and motor is beyond night and day. Can't wait until my Lipo arrives tomorrow, then I get to really see how it runs on modern tech!

Thanks for all the help making decisions, speccing parts, and troubleshooting problems. Could not have done it without the great people on this site.
Attachments
photo-1-2.jpg

cooltoys
Approved Member

Post by cooltoys »

It looks great!! Nice color on the body too... :D :D
Rc10 newbie...
Turbo ultima
Turbo optima project
Srb projects