My Team Car Project

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Zedmaster
Approved Member

My Team Car Project

Post by Zedmaster »

Hello everyone, my name's Matt. Just joined the forum yesterday. For some reason I decided to dust off my old Team Car I got in (I think) 1992 when I was a teen. A local shop opened up an indoor offroad clay track, and I've got the urge to fix 'er up and let 'er race like she was born to do. I haven't done anything with RC since I graduated high school in '96, so there's a (re)learning curve. I'm hoping to get the car to a point where I can at least have fun racing against the modern cars on the track. For the moment I'm hoping to keep the time and money investment to a minimum because my real life has a lot of demands on me :(

Here's what I had on it as a teen (and still have, it pretty much all works except the shredded tires):

Reedy Sonic L (I think it's a 14.5 turn
Trinity Sapphire (17.5 turn single)
Pretty much everything stock, except the front shock tower mount is the graphite one from the World's Car (broke the original on a curb I think)

My plans for it are:

Clean it up
Relube the Stealth completely
Rebuild and reoil the shocks
Get a decent battery, maybe NiMH
New body, or repaint the existing viper body
New wheels/tires
Figure out how to get the slop out of the steering
Figure out if I want a new motor
Run it
Race it
Have fun

So far I've got some JCracing 2.2" 5-spoke wheels w/ 1/4" axle mountings coming over from Jolly Old England... Working out the miscellaneous parts I'll order from tower soon.

I only have one question that I haven't seen a thread for. Does anyone have a general suggestion on what some of the hardest parts to replace on the old RC10's are? My biggest fear is I'll be having a blast running it, and bust something I'll never be able to find or fabricate.

-Matt
Attachments
RC10-before.JPG

CamplinP
Approved Member

Re: Wanted to introduce myself, and my Team Car project...

Post by CamplinP »

Welcome. Can't wait to see some pics. Take some before and afters. If there is one thing nobody minds on here are pictures. :D
The Fox, Falcon, 9 RC10s black/gold/graph, Optima Mid SE EXT, Losi XXXT, B3, B4, 3 T4s, Evader BX, Evader ST, Buggy Champ '09, Sand Scorcher '10, RC10T, RC10DS

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

Welcome Matt. Pix are always welcome and good to look at. Not all us guys here build shelfers so 'real' car pix are always good. Your list looks great so far and will look forward to updates on it.

I can't help you out with the hardest part to replace because I personally think you can find pretty much anything for these if you look hard enuf. If I had to state one though it would be rear arm mounts in your desired degree...
Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

how i wish that reedy sonic was new, and you didn't want it anymore. :mrgreen:

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

Welcome to 10talk!!!!! And goodbye extra cash :lol: :wink:

Jay Dub
Approved Member

Post by Jay Dub »

First, I would look through this forum at all the Old is New threads, or modern racer threads. The path you have chosen is a well travelled one around here. Second, look for setup here from the people currently campaigning the old tub chassis cars (Ruffy, Harris, Reggie, myself, etc.). This will make your first experience back at the track a much happier one. -Jeff

CamplinP
Approved Member

Post by CamplinP »

As for the parts, white ones are going to be harder to find. Many of the black ones are still easily available. I would pick up a couple of arms, arm mounts, shock towers and the like.
The Fox, Falcon, 9 RC10s black/gold/graph, Optima Mid SE EXT, Losi XXXT, B3, B4, 3 T4s, Evader BX, Evader ST, Buggy Champ '09, Sand Scorcher '10, RC10T, RC10DS

Zedmaster
Approved Member

Post by Zedmaster »

scr8p wrote:how i wish that reedy sonic was new, and you didn't want it anymore. :mrgreen:
It's not new, but I think I ran that thing all of 10 times before I got sucked into the exciting world of college... I think most of the running I did with that car was with the Sapphire and a Green Machine II I can't find. The backside of the Sonic's pretty scratched up for some reason. I think I decided to hit it with steel-wool for reasons that are totally lost to me 19 years later...

Zedmaster
Approved Member

Post by Zedmaster »

CamplinP wrote:As for the parts, white ones are going to be harder to find. Many of the black ones are still easily available. I would pick up a couple of arms, arm mounts, shock towers and the like.
I'll add that to the list, thanks!

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

Zedmaster wrote:The backside of the Sonic's pretty scratched up for some reason. I think I decided to hit it with steel-wool for reasons that are totally lost to me 19 years later...
I would guess you were scratching it up to solder motor capacitors on it. Welcome. :D
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

Zedmaster
Approved Member

Post by Zedmaster »

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB wrote:
Zedmaster wrote:The backside of the Sonic's pretty scratched up for some reason. I think I decided to hit it with steel-wool for reasons that are totally lost to me 19 years later...
I would guess you were scratching it up to solder motor capacitors on it. Welcome. :D
It's all coming back now... You're right!

knucklebuster
Approved Member

Post by knucklebuster »

Zedmaster wrote:
I only have one question that I haven't seen a thread for. Does anyone have a general suggestion on what some of the hardest parts to replace on the old RC10's are? My biggest fear is I'll be having a blast running it, and bust something I'll never be able to find or fabricate.

-Matt
When I started running my old rc10 several years ago I had the same concern and began buying parts and cars. No real need as you can easily find useable parts.

slotcarrod
Approved Member

Post by slotcarrod »

Welcome!

I like da Sonic!

Zedmaster
Approved Member

Post by Zedmaster »

slotcarrod wrote:Welcome!

I like da Sonic!
Thank you sir

Zedmaster
Approved Member

Post by Zedmaster »

Placed my order with Tower today... Getting a few miscellaneous associated parts, some diff lube, and the low-dollar I needed to get it in running order.
Duratrax Streak ESC, since it's got the cojones to run my 14 turn Reedy and it's cheap.
Pair of Venom 3000 mAh NiMHs as my electron slingers.
ProLine Suburbs in the back, and I'll grab some fronts at the LHS.

LiPo would've been cool, but I couldn't swing a LiPo ready ESC that would run my 14 turn Reedy... :( Heck, I'll still be close to the ROAR minimum with the NiMH on there...

Now just to wait for the Tower package, and the JCRacing wheels from England, and we're (hopefully) ready to rock! Cleaning up the chassis and suspension, stripping the paint off the body now... Girlfriend wants black, I'm leaning towards day-glo orange or blue... We'll see... I'll have some pictures once it's cleaned up and painted!

Matt