foam tires?

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Cronus
Approved Member

foam tires?

Post by Cronus »

I've seen a few cars that are on the original rc10 wheels that have foam tires on them. I'm assuming they're an on road tire. Does anyone know what they're off of and where I can get them?

lpddpd
Approved Member

Re: foam tires?

Post by lpddpd »

Ruffy
Approved Member

Post by Ruffy »

Back in the day, around 1986, I used to use a set of foam tires to practice in front of my house. These tires/wheels were from Bolink, who came out with a set of pre-mounted wheel and tires (white plastic wheels and foam tires pre-bonded together) that were made to fit the stock RC10 front bearings and rear 1/4" tapered axle. These tires had the words "Goodyear" written in white ink on the sides and were excellent for racing the RC10 with on road conditions as the grip level was absolutely incredible on asphalt.

railey72
Approved Member

Post by railey72 »

We used to race on carpet tracks in the winter and I used a set of TRC foams that came pre-mounted on wheels that would fit the stock gold pan axles. Not sure of any current companies. Maybe look at Custom Works or BSR dirt oval companies.

Jedi Master
Approved Member

Post by Jedi Master »

Why aren't foam tyres still available for buggies? Did they die out purely due to their durability being lesser than that of rubber ones? :?:
Do, or do not! There is no 'try'!
RC; Boats, Buggies, Trucks, Bash's, Racing and of course 'VINTAGE'!
My Ebay Feedback: http://feedback.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=jedimaster768&ftab=AllFeedback

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

Roar hasn't allowed foam tires in off road for a long time- even though on some tracks we slick off the tread and foams would be faster. Customworks and BSR wheels are not a direct fit to the rc10

Ruffy
Approved Member

Post by Ruffy »

Back in the day, before an official ROAR ruling was made, at one of the Nat's we were provided a set of round carcass shaped foam tires that have a single deep wide groove in them for off-road use and the results were amazing! The cars were more than a few seconds faster per lap than the best tire when the track was blue grooved. The tires produced an immense amount of traction and being much lighter than rubber wheels with foam inserts, allowed the car an agility, speed and traction combination that made the rubber tires not even be competitive to run against. Due to costs and availability to other racers, I believe the decision was made not to run them at this very event.
I still have this set of foam tires provided to us that are mounted to AE off-road 2.0 wheels, for front and back.
Good times!

Russ Winn
Approved Member

Post by Russ Winn »

I run a set of Bolink foams that I got off Ebay on a blacktop parking lot. Mine have "Bolink Racing Tire" on the sidewall. The rears are wearing well, but the fronts are eating up pretty quick. If I could find a smooth tennis court, or asphalt (dammit, Florida) they would wear better.
The older I get, the faster I was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyGKBTUJ-L0