alloy optima arms

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

mugenbulldog
Approved Member

alloy optima arms

Post by mugenbulldog »

Has anyone ordered pargu's alloy arm set yet? I just saw them on the bay and I want to see them installed on a car...

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Re: alloy optima arms

Post by Coelacanth »

Wow, those must be new. They look pretty accurate. Not exactly cheap either. I'm in the process of sourcing arms from a different car to be used with the Optima, but they might need to be cut down. You'll have to stay tuned for that. It would cost less than half of pargu2000's arms if you don't mind a little work with hacksaw and 3mm drill. 8)

EDIT: His arm castings also appear to lack all the extra shock mounting holes of the Turbo Optima arms, and look more like regular Optima arms.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

Mad Racer
Approved Member

Post by Mad Racer »

I just saw them as well.

They look good so is the price. All bling that's all. In all my yrs of racing Optima & MID i never broke a set. I don't want any more weight to my fat Optima Turbo.

EDIT: I never knew they are different arms from Turbo to standard. Are you sure Marc. I have Andys arms that are different.
Vintage . Older is Better !!!!!!! Vintage At Boondal, Australia.
http://www.rctech.net/forum/australian-racing/548133-off-road-vintage-boondal.html

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Mad Racer wrote:EDIT: I never knew they are different arms from Turbo to standard. Are you sure Marc. I have Andys arms that are different.
Yep, I'm sure. I have both in my parts bags. The dimensions are the same. The original Optima/Javelin arms were a little wimpier and indeed would break. There is an open 'X' cross-brace inside the rear arms, for example, but they're not as thick or have the solid, closed webbing that the Turbo has. The turbo also has a row of 3 holes where you can mount the lower ball-ends of the shocks, instead of just one.

I also have the Hot Trick arm set. To be honest, I'm less than impressed with it, other than for looks. WTF were they thinking, using funky little half-washers to act as a spacer and a full washer to retain the outer hinge-pins instead of 3mm holes drilled through solid aluminum?? :? It's a really unorthodox design. I might just sell those arms off because they bring over $50 a pair on eBay (recent set of rears just ended some time ago) and go with off-brand arms with a bit of modding.

Watch this thread for an update in the next day or two...could be an interesting update. ;)
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

nvxwax
Approved Member

Post by nvxwax »

Coelacanth wrote:
Mad Racer wrote:EDIT: I never knew they are different arms from Turbo to standard. Are you sure Marc. I have Andys arms that are different.
Yep, I'm sure. I have both in my parts bags. The dimensions are the same. The original Optima/Javelin arms were a little wimpier and indeed would break. There is an open 'X' cross-brace inside the rear arms, for example, but they're not as thick or have the solid, closed webbing that the Turbo has. The turbo also has a row of 3 holes where you can mount the lower ball-ends of the shocks, instead of just one.

I also have the Hot Trick arm set. To be honest, I'm less than impressed with it, other than for looks. WTF were they thinking, using funky little half-washers to act as a spacer and a full washer to retain the outer hinge-pins instead of 3mm holes drilled through solid aluminum?? :? It's a really unorthodox design. I might just sell those arms off because they bring over $50 a pair on eBay (recent set of rears just ended some time ago) and go with off-brand arms with a bit of modding.

Watch this thread for an update in the next day or two...could be an interesting update. ;)
OT-69 and OT-13 are the two part numbers, I just ordered a set of each lol,

OT-69

OT-13

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

nvxwax wrote:OT-69 and OT-13 are the two part numbers, I just ordered a set of each lol
Dude, you should've checked with me first, I have sets of both of those arms in great condition, and would've sold them to you for less than what fireboy's probably asking. ;)

nvxwax
Approved Member

Post by nvxwax »

Coelacanth wrote:
nvxwax wrote:OT-69 and OT-13 are the two part numbers, I just ordered a set of each lol
Dude, you should've checked with me first, I have sets of both of those arms in great condition, and would've sold them to you for less than what fireboy's probably asking. ;)
lol, Yeah it was a last min decision, had a few extra bucks in my paypal account, I think im done now lol, unless you have any new condition chain guards for the optima series lol, i need like 3 of them :)

I think fireboy has come down about 10 bucks on his asking price for the OT-13 and OT-69 arm sets, They used to run around 35 a set lol, even with the 10 bucks less it pretty steep :shock:

RichieRich
Approved Member

Post by RichieRich »

I have TONS of Optima arms. I would break one, then forget I had an extra, then buy another set. I did this like 6 times. :lol:

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

I have one set of original Optima arms lying around ever since I upgraded that first Optima to a Turbo, but have now accumulated maybe 3 or 4 full spare sets of T.O. arms. I probably won't even be needing those much anymore if things work out with my plan to go with alloy arms. The measurements I've taken look promising. I don't want to let the cat out of the bag until I'm sure it's a viable solution. :wink:

Mad Racer
Approved Member

Post by Mad Racer »

AAhhh

I remember now. You so right guys. I never owned a Optima only a Turbo.

Hey Marc why not use the alloy ones from Pargu ??? I guess too much would be the case hey.

Cheers
Vintage . Older is Better !!!!!!! Vintage At Boondal, Australia.
http://www.rctech.net/forum/australian-racing/548133-off-road-vintage-boondal.html

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Mad Racer wrote:Hey Marc why not use the alloy ones from Pargu ??? I guess too much would be the case hey.
Yep, way too expensive, and lacking the shock mount options that the Turbo Optima arms have. You guys are gonna love this--believe it or not, Traxxas Slash 4x4 front or rear arms by Golden Horizons can be modified to work, and you can find them on eBay for around $20 or less per pair. I'm still working on it but the mods involve:

1) Drilling a *straight* hole through both halves of each arm for the hub hinge pin (this is the hard part, believe it or not; getting that hole straight is half the battle).

2) Cutting off the excess arms and filing it smooth.

3) Add a few small spacers on either side of the Optima rear hub when inserting the hinge pin.

4) Find hub hinge pins of the correct length.

5) Find a way to mount a ball stud on the rear of each trailing arm if the stabilizer assembly is to be mounted; the arms lack mounting holes there.

Advantages: You have 3 shock mounting points in almost the exact same locations as the stock Turbo Optima arms; and, they have a more "finished" appearance than pargu's rough-looking machining.

I'll create a thread describing this mod once I'm finished it. :)
Attachments
GH_SlashArms.jpg

clhuke64
Approved Member

Post by clhuke64 »

Will the OT-69 front a-arms fit a Ultima Pro??? I was wondering if they would be narrower than stock, would like to have the front a-arms match the rears on my Pro, as you can see from the pictures the fronts are a-lot wider than the rears

http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=20863

Thanks

mugenbulldog
Approved Member

Post by mugenbulldog »

Pargu has another style of arms available as well, I think he stated they were for the Mid. They look in style like one of the common after market arms, can't remember the name. They might have more mounting holes.
Coelacanth wrote:Wow, those must be new. They look pretty accurate. Not exactly cheap either. I'm in the process of sourcing arms from a different car to be used with the Optima, but they might need to be cut down. You'll have to stay tuned for that. It would cost less than half of pargu2000's arms if you don't mind a little work with hacksaw and 3mm drill. 8)

EDIT: His arm castings also appear to lack all the extra shock mounting holes of the Turbo Optima arms, and look more like regular Optima arms.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Do the Optima Mid arms have the same specs as the Optima arms? I didn't think they were the same...but I could be wrong.

nvxwax
Approved Member

Post by nvxwax »

Coelacanth wrote:Do the Optima Mid arms have the same specs as the Optima arms? I didn't think they were the same...but I could be wrong.
I hope so lol, I put OT-69 arms on all my mids lol, They look the same but i have not inspected them in detail lol, hell now im not sure what arms are original to the cars lol