Shock Cap Gasket

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

esaresky75
Approved Member

Shock Cap Gasket

Post by esaresky75 »

So my Edinger has the early style narrow shock cap gaskets that have shrunk (I assuming) from age as no matter how tight the caps are, oil leaks at the gasket when I cycle the shock in my hand a few times. I know the gaskets are expensive when found, my questions are do the newer style o-ring gaskets ever "squeeze" out when tighten the cap and this will be a shelf queen, should I even bother putting oil in the shocks? I know it won't make a difference except in my head (which is a huge difference). What do you guys do with your shelfers, oil or not?
Burn more coal - UnderGroundMiners.com

esaresky75
Approved Member

Re: Shock Cap Gasket

Post by esaresky75 »

Any opinions?

RC10resto

Post by RC10resto »

Early car with bottom load shocks there is always a chance of leakage. So if you don't mind tearing the car down oil them up :lol:

Top loaders seem to do better.

Tough call but I like to play it safe :wink:

Ruffy
Approved Member

Post by Ruffy »

I put new silicone oil in all of my shelfers. I have noticed in my own racers (now shelfers) from over 16 years ago that had silicone oil in them still had lubrication for the seals and o-rings and still hold their oil as if they were new.

I have also bought some cars where the previous owner did not have oil in the shocks and the seals did in fact shrink and harden a bit. These shocks required a rebuild as they would not hold oil for much time.

I think it is smarter in the long run based soley upon my own findings and experience to use the newer silicone oils (any weight if for a shelfer) and not the "dinosaur" oil (old petroleum based oils) in your shocks for your shelfers. In the long run I feel it is better on preserving the seals as my own cars have sat for a long time in a dark closet and I was able to just pull out two old Worlds RC10's and a B3 and go run them with nothing done to them since the shocks felt great and smooth.

The other nice thing I forgot to mention is when you pull them out to show them, the 1st thing people do is feel the suspension on the tabletop, so it eliminates that empty-bouncing-spring-only reaction the shocks have making it feel like an early old Tamiya car.

GJW
Approved Member

Post by GJW »

i just use o-ring grease to coat the internals of shelf cars, id need a fair bit of oil otherwise and feel it's a waste just sitting there.

esaresky75
Approved Member

Post by esaresky75 »

I like the different opinions, thanks.

ROH73
Approved Member

Post by ROH73 »

The plastic shock cap gaskets never sealed very well in my experience. I always use a little teflon tape on the threads and that takes care of any sealing issues and allows you to keep using the correct plastic gaskets for display.

I agree with Ruffy; even for a shelfer I would keep silicone oil in the shocks. If the shocks are built correctly and the bottom o-rings are new, they will not leak for decades. I haven't changed the shock oil in my oldest goldpan RC10 runner for 20 years and the shocks don't leak. That 20 years includes 15 years in storage.

CamplinP
Approved Member

Post by CamplinP »

I just use some green slime on the shock shaft and leave it at that.
The Fox, Falcon, 9 RC10s black/gold/graph, Optima Mid SE EXT, Losi XXXT, B3, B4, 3 T4s, Evader BX, Evader ST, Buggy Champ '09, Sand Scorcher '10, RC10T, RC10DS

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

Ruffy wrote: The other nice thing I forgot to mention is when you pull them out to show them, the 1st thing people do is feel the suspension on the tabletop, so it eliminates that empty-bouncing-spring-only reaction the shocks have making it feel like an early old Tamiya car.
I echo this sentiment... for me owning these cars is about picking them up & holding them... having a quick 'squidge' on the suspension etc, not just stare at it as it sits on the shelf. Therefore the car feels somehow wrong if its all bouncy etc.

When I build up any of my cars, I build it as if I was going to race it - replacing seals, lubricating everything correctly, re-building the diffs with new parts... & re-fill the shocks etc etc. I'm not happy with a car i've built if i'm not confident that I could just add electrics, set the slipper & go & race!

Ruffy
Approved Member

Post by Ruffy »

Same here Derby Dan! :D

Heck when I show them off with or without the battery in them, at the track or at home with friends, first thing I do or allow people to do is the drop test about 2 ft off the table or floor.People are really in awe at how the 20+ old cars suspension is as good at absorbing the impact as current cars!
8)